suspension suggestions "newbie" - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2005, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
suspension suggestions "newbie"

I have a 93lx that will be driven primarily on the street (non-daily driver) and possibly attend driving instruction classes...no autocross. The current suspension consist of SFC and Steeda Sport Springs, the rest is stock w/80,000 miles.

Ultimately (as time & funds allow) I plan to install a Steeda 5-link II. I am looking for suggestions on how to set the car up correctly from the beginning so I can avoid buying the same parts twice due to upgrading. I am looking for a firmer (streetable) ride. Would like to hear from others who have experience w/5-link II.

Current plans this winter is to:
5-lug conversion (94 spindles & sn95 axles)
13" Cobra brakes
17x8 99 cobra wheels w/245x45x17 frt&rr
Bilstein HD struts & shocks
X-2 balljoints
Bumpsteer kit
C/C plates Maximum motorsports
**anything I am missing?

Suggestions as to rear control arms, spring rates, or anything else I may be overlooking would be appreciated.

Thanks....Troy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2005, 04:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
You have a pretty good start there.
I would go MM coilovers with the Bilstein's(front), also look at MM rear lower control arms(adjustable).
Upgrade your bushings too. A-arm's, ETC....
Have you looked into the torque arm setup?

post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Get new FMS a-arms. Stiff Bushings and they come with new ball-joints.

As far as control arms:
Maximum Motorsports lowers (spherical bushing)
FMS/Steeda Uppers

Stangless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2005, 09:30 AM

From my experience the Steeda X2 BJ's are a good choice. I would not buy new front LCA's and install the X2's. I would recommend buying some offset bushings for your lower arms and install them when you do the BJ's. This will provide more caster and improve camber while turning and save you a good bit of money.

For the rear I would upgrade the springs considerably whether you go TA or 5L. MM carries a good spring for that, it's an H&R 51650TA-1 for primarily a street/drag car or the 51650TA-3 if you plan on open tracking or autocrossing it. As far as rear LCA's you can't go wrong with the MM's, they are great, I have had them on two cars. The Bilsteins are the way to go, I run them on my Cobra and love them, great handling and smooth ride even with H&R Race springs. Depending on your chosen spring rate you can get Bilsteins valved to match. Here is a link to the MM page with info on the revalved Bilsteins.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/bilstein.asp

Good Luck!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies.

GLENN The car is primarily for the street and occasionaly driving classes/open track in the future (I am moving close to Birmingham, Al. next spring so I will be checking into events in that region).
Question
If I run the H&R 51650ta-3 rear spring should I stay with the current front steeda sport spring or move up to a higher spring rate
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ccstng
Question
If I run the H&R 51650ta-3 rear spring should I stay with the current front steeda sport spring or move up to a higher spring rate
I don't know what the rate is on the Steeda Sports, but you would probably want at least 750-850# or more to get good balance and I doubt the Steedas are that stiff. If you want to keep the softer front springs I would opt for the TA-1 rears instead. Adding a good adjustable rear ASB would be a great aid in tuning but I don't know if you can do that with the 5L. Steeda has an adj. rear ASB but from what I have seen it isn't a very good design. I run the MM TA and the MM adjustable rear ASB and it is a nice setup, I can reset the rear roll resistance according to the type course I run the car on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement