Want plug & play fox brakes.. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-11-2005, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Want plug & play fox brakes..

Alright guys, I'm at a crossroads here.

Here real soon I'm going to be going with 5 lug/4 wheel disc brakes on my '89 GT, and I don't know where to turn.

I used to want the M2300K kit from Ford, but now that they stopped producing it, I may go another route. Not to mention, there are better kits out there.

The car will be a daily driver above all. I want to auto/X and open track it as well, seeing as how MSR is right down the street here at school AND at home in Houston, and TMS is about 20 minutes from school! Pretty sweet deal!

Anyways, wheel selection depends on what size brakes I go. 13" front rotors and I'll probably run some 10th Anniversary SVT Cobra wheels. If I go with a 14", I want to run the Saleen 18" pieces.

So, that being said, any idea what I should get? I really want a kit, because I don't feel like piecing together something(school takes up a lot of my time, so the install would have to be straightforward with no hiccups.) I was leaning towards Baer because I have heard a lot of good things about them. The inclusion of the correct axles, spindles, etc etc.

I want to keep stock track in the rear and I want to keep the tires tucked in at the front end, so this will play a major role in what kit I get/what modifications it may need.

Any ideas guys? Let me know what you got, part numbers, prices, etc!

Heres a picture of the car. Full MM rear suspension, H&R Race springs, Tokico 5 ways, bla bla bla.

Thanks for all the help!

Arron Larkin
Houston/Denton, TX

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-11-2005, 07:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
http://www.sn95brakes.com/

post #3 of 21 Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 AM

I say piece it together. I understand that you may not have a lot of time, but it isnt that hard. When I did mine I was still taking a lot of classes and working. In the end though, I spent about half the price of the M2300K kit. That ment a lot to this starving college student. The best thing to do is to use the link huesmann posted and look for a donor car. Ebay and the corral classifieds help too.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-11-2005, 03:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Go piece together an M2300K kit. Best bang-for-buck out there. I ran the M2300K for several years, and it did really well.

If you dont wanna piece together a set, then call Baer, order their 13" kit, and write them a check. Done.

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #5 of 21 Old 10-11-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I decided I may go ahead and just piece together a set of Cobra brakes front and rear, with stock track in the rear w/ the North Cobra brackets. Front spindles will be 94-95 to keep the wheels tucked in. I may upgrade to the X2 balljoints at the same time.

As far as what calipers to get, are any of the Cobra calipers better than the others? (piston sizes, availability, design, etc etc) Also, what are decent prices to pay for the calipers and rotors? Don't want to get ripped off!

Thanks for the help guys.

Arron

PS- It looks like I might go ahead and run the 17x9 10th Anniversary SVT Cobra wheels. If I can find a set, plus an extra two, I may get the rears widened to 10" in the rear...but that'll be later down the road! I just like the 17" wheels because it widens my tire availability and lowers the cost substaintially compared to good 18" tires(we just spend $1,200 on BFG KDW 2's for the 18" Z06 wheels on the Camaro!)
So, who sells these 10th anniv. wheels? I haven't had any luck on Ebay or the local boards...

Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #6 of 21 Old 10-11-2005, 06:05 PM

As for the front Cobra calipers, the link that Huesmann posted says that '99+ Cobras has 40mm pistons versus the 38mm pistons the previous years.

As for finding those wheels, I know www.buyfordracing.com has them. Just so you know, I know that they will fit on a fox with SN95 axles with a little fender lip rolling. If you want to run wider than 275 tires on them though, you will want the fox length axles.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #7 of 21 Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I pieced mine together and am VERY pleased...

http://www.mustangmotorsport.com/sn95conversion.html

Stangless
post #8 of 21 Old 10-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I pieced together my rear kit and I found it to be not that great of a savings. Now that we sell Baer I sorta wish I would have waited and bought the rear Baer kit, although I did buy basically everything new for the rear.

$100 for used axles
$200 for FRPP Calipers
$150 for NRC brackets
$175 for M2300M(brackets, rotors, anti-moan braces)
-$75 for the M2300M brackets
$130 for 3 rear SS brake lines.
~$15 for the FRPP adjustable parking brake cable.

Thats about $700, the Baer 11.35" kit is $800.

I still have to track down a booster. I was lucky to get a 93 Cobra master, misc fittings, 93 FRPP rear disc lines and a FRPP prop valve for $50 at NMRA MAple Grove a few years ago.

Rick

93 Calypso Green LX
5 lug swap with 13" Baers and 10th Ann. Cobras, 96+ spindles and 11.65" Cobra brakes with stock Fox Axles
Front Coilovers and rear MM adjustables
Built 306 - AFR, FTI Cam, RPMII, ect.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-14-2005, 11:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (101)
will a 94 Cobra prop valve work w/ the conversion? I guess you wouldn't have to worry about the 2-3 port conversion,correct?
post #10 of 21 Old 10-15-2005, 12:07 PM

BAER! Then you can option it the way you want. 28 or 31 spline axles. Slot/zinc washed rotors. SN95 or Fox spindles.

1989 LX
assorted Maximum Motorsports parts
BAER brakes

OMP, Racetech, Safecraft, Amsoil, Zamp helmets,
Bell/Pyrotect, FinishLine, Crow, Autopower & Pro Challenge Race Cars

post #11 of 21 Old 10-15-2005, 07:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Or piece it together and let it sit in the garage while you find the rest of the parts - LOL!

BTW, not so much a plug and play setup but I thought it was worth a laugh?

Justin
FYI: Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!
SOLD - 91LX Couper track bitch
post #12 of 21 Old 10-23-2005, 10:58 PM

Where did you hear that ford has stopped producing the Cobra brake kit? I have a car here thats waiting for a set coming from GEF Racing, they said they sould get it in stock in the next few weeks.

Do you have any side shots or your car you can post? Sharp looking car!!!
thanks
cobra521
post #13 of 21 Old 10-24-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Its been a rumor going around for a while that they weren't gonna produce them anymore...I don't know how true that was though?

Here are a couple pictures of the car. Thanks for the compliments!

Arron

Engine:
post #14 of 21 Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (101)
I have a Cibra 13" front set up and can't find the hardware ie.. caliper bolts, pins, spindle to caliper bolts etc....

anybody know where to get these. I tried dealer and Autozone
post #15 of 21 Old 10-26-2005, 03:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
God damn thats a beautiful car.

The 2300k kits are still being made. I ordered mine last week and will see it sometime next month. I got a smokin deal though a connection at a dealership and paid 1700$ (most places are charging 1900-2100) I was going to piece it together but the idea of using used parts on the #1 most important system on my car started giving me the creaps. My time isn't worth trying to run around and get the parts. I'd rather pay the extra 500$ and spend the countless day's glued to the web searching for parts and running around with my lady.

Also I've been told the 10th aniversery wheels won't fit because of their 6.12 offset. Thats the wheel I'd like to get but I'm going with 99 Cobra's instead.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #16 of 21 Old 10-29-2005, 01:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC

The 2300k kits are still being made. I ordered mine last week and will see it sometime next month. I got a smokin deal though a connection at a dealership and paid 1700$ (most places are charging 1900-2100) I was going to piece it together but the idea of using used parts on the #1 most important system on my car started giving me the creaps. My time isn't worth trying to run around and get the parts. I'd rather pay the extra 500$ and spend the countless day's glued to the web searching for parts and running around with my lady.

Also I've been told the 10th aniversery wheels won't fit because of their 6.12 offset. Thats the wheel I'd like to get but I'm going with 99 Cobra's instead.
I paid $1800 for my kit delivered. Had a dented Booster in it and I got to talk to Ford Racing personally, and the Guy said they still have great demand for the kit so they keep finding ways to fill voids in the kit to keep it on the market, such as the Booster being a Reman. unit.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-29-2005, 11:39 PM

I used baer, got everything I need all in one kit. Paid around $2000, got 3 hundred back when I sent in my old spindles.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-30-2005, 02:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Also if you want a better list of 2300k parts go to ford racings site and download their newer version of the instructions for the 2300k. I printed the 34 page manual and i've been reading it getting ready for my swap.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #19 of 21 Old 11-18-2005, 11:27 PM

I have the 13" baer 2 piston front kit and the 1 piston rear kit(m2300 killer). I wish I would have went with the 4 piston or bigger. I would of had to get bigger wheels and tires, but I think it would have been worth it especially if I want to autocross or anything else. Don;t get me wrong the basic baer kit I have is 100% better than stock, but it could be better.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-19-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC

We talked to a motorsports rep. last week and he told us that they did'nt have a definate date as to when the kits would be out, he said possibly Nov. 15th but they've told us that several times before, we've been waiting for 3 months, the guy I'm doing the car for wants to get it back on the road, we ended up going with Baer
post #21 of 21 Old 11-19-2005, 01:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I peiced my 2300K kit together. In the end it cost me about $750 total for everything

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement