SN95 sway bar on Fox body - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-10-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Exclamation SN95 sway bar on Fox body

HI Guys I've looked into a whole lot of threads ad found nothing about this fitment. I would like to be able to adjust the front sway bar for different tracks conditions and tracks and I'm unable to find anything adjustable for a 91 Gt Mustang. Yes I could use a 4 banger bar or go up to a Cobra bar if needed but why doesn't some one make one for the fox body? OK that's a different question.

I have the complete Griggs setup in the front with the 96+ spindles. Could this combination allow for the 94 and up sway bar and if so, would the KB adjustable be a good choice?

Thanks!!

91 GT
349 A-4 N/A
Full Griggs front and rear
AIX Car one day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-11-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I take it no one has run into this problem. It's hard to believe I'm the first one to try this. I could use some help or advise here.

Thanks!!

post #3 of 9 Old 10-11-2005, 10:12 PM

Take a look at the bar to body mount location on an SN95, I believe they mount directly under the frame rail. Fox bodies mount to a bracket welded to the inside frame rail. So....the SN95 bar is wider in the middle or the part that dips down to clear the FEAD. I see no real reason that an SN95 bar couldn't be mounted to the underside of a fox rail with a little fab work. The SN95 is also wider at the endlinks due to the wider track width. Do you have SN95 length lower arms?

I've been meaning to take an old 4cyl bar and cut the arms off just past the bushings, then weld on my own arms with adjustment holes set up for heim joint. Similar to a KB set up.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-13-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Question

Toys

Know I don't have sn95 length LCAs. I have the extreme duty Griggs adjustable LCA. I've never looked under an SN95 so that's why I was asking if maybe it was possible. Tell me more about your idea on the 4 banger sway bar!! Has this been done before and does welding on the bar take away the strenght of the bar at the welds?

Charlie
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hi Guys,
I'm bringing this thread back to life since I now find myself in a similiar situation. My mods are in my sig, but basically a mod-motor swap in a fox with (now) a full griggs front suspension. The problem I ran into with dropping the 03 cobra motor into the fox was I needed to remove the inboard mounted (stock fox) sway bar mounts for the motor to fit (specifically the AC compressor on pass side and altenator on the drivers side.

So the problem is I can't use the stock style fox swaybar. I originally thought I could fab up a 'drop' bracket to lower the fox swaybar and then use shorter ends links; I neglected to think about the ground clearance thanks to the lovely fox swaybar design. So I'm back to square one and wonder if any more information is available from what started above.

I see a few ways to progress, basically either using a 94+ swaybar and 'making it work' or going a full custom route by using aftermarket parts available, like circletrack components, etc. I would rather use the stock style components.

Now, when I think, other than control arm length, the fox and SN95 platforms share several key dimensions, I don't see why a SN95 up swaybar would not work. Does anyone know (for sure) if the 03/04 sway bar is different (arm length, not 'rate')...perhaps that could be the answer I need and Ford has already solved.

Any light shedding on this would be great! Thanks Corral!

91' Modularfox Coupe powered by 2003 cobra motor, TKO, Moser 9" rear, GRIGG's GR40 suspension, Wilwood 6-pistons (front) & 4-pistons (rear).
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Maybe you've figured this out already, but the SN95 bar about 3" wider from link to link. Have you looked at using the SN95 bushing mount hardware with your fox bar? It should lower your fox bar about 2-2.5". I used these on my car to clear the 351 pan.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-2006, 04:22 AM

Toys,
Thank you for the sole reply. I have not held an SN95 bar in my hands or up to the chassis, although I knew it would be wider just based on the SN95 track width.

For your arrangement; did you use the SN95 bushing mount (the cast drop mount I assume) in the stock fox location, or mounted from the frame rail with the stock fox swaybar? I apologize if this is a 'no brainer' if I had the stocker in front of me, but I am traveling on business the next two weeks. In either case, if you used the stock fox mounting location (inboard frame rails) I'm out because I had to remove them for the motor fit. If you were able to use the stock fox swaybar and the SN95 brackets on the fox frame, I think you solved my problem. I have alot of 'stuff' in that realestate, but I can move it around and make it work.

Do you have any pics of your swaybar set-up by any chance? I checked out your photo gallery but did not find one. Thanks again!
Jeff

91' Modularfox Coupe powered by 2003 cobra motor, TKO, Moser 9" rear, GRIGG's GR40 suspension, Wilwood 6-pistons (front) & 4-pistons (rear).
post #8 of 9 Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM

I did use the SN95 drop mounts but in the fox location. I don't think you can put the mounts under rail and use a fox bar, but I'll take a look at my car tonight. Sounds like you're in a bit of a situation...., let me give it some thought.

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

post #9 of 9 Old 04-19-2006, 03:21 AM

Thanks Mike. If worst comes to worst, Griggs will fab up a custom swaybar assembly to get me going, the only problem was that I did not want to goto their double adjustable control arms with delrin bushing (since I like to drive my car on long hauls). If I can't find a way to hook up a stocker or SN95 style (which I am going to try to pick one up at the junkyard for fitment) then I will suck it up and move to the Griggs swaybar (like what they use on the GR-350 package). I'm thinking I can use the SN95 bar and modify the end to fit/work with either a stock style bushing and rod configuration or a full rod end link. Let me know what you think up after looking at your car. Once I return to the states I will see what I can do with a SN95 bar. Thanks again Mike!
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement