Need advice..........front end setup - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2005, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Need advice..........front end setup

i have sportlines mated with kyb gr-2's and D&D 4 bolt plates to stock specs. Also have hotchkis lowers and full length subs to finish off the suspension. Problem is when i hit turns fast the top of the front wheels scrapes the plastic fender panels. This doesn't happen on regular turning; only when i go into a corner HARD and have to throttle steer through it etc. I'm thinking these KYB's just arent up to the job of the spring rates of the sportlines. They are fox shocks and struts btw.

What you guys think?

-Rio Red 94' Cobra: H/C/I.....sold
-DSG 89' H/C/I 5spd Notch..........now for sale PM me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2005, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Shocks only affect the rate of suspension travel, not it's limits.

Not having information as to your spring rate and amount the car is lowered makes it hard to make a solid recommendation. Generally, the lower you go, the stiffer the spring needs to be (for clearance - there are a host of other issues).

FWIW, my '97 is lowered about 1.2" in front and has 1100#/" springs and I hit the fender liners with R tires while auto-crossing. It doesn't really hurt anything as long as it doesn't go through and start wearing the wiring above the liner.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #3 of 5 Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
You have two bad issues to deal with. First, the Eibach Sportlines drop the front too much and adversly affect the front RCH causing excessive body roll. Not only that, they are much too soft for performance work. Second, the KYB struts are, well to put it bluntly...junk! The GR-2's are pretty much meant to be a stock replacement part, not a performance upgrade. Get some better springs and struts and you will be much happier.

Want to know what will work much better? Do a search, this topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

Last edited by Glenn; 10-10-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Yea i am planning on going with H&R SS springs and some AGX or KONI adjustables here in the near future, but back when i did the suspension i got a killer deal on the springs and KYB's so i had to get them. I wanted to get rid of that 4x4 look and feeling so bad. For now the car feels great around corners. I mean it really sticks and the rear end rotates nicely around sweeping corners, throttle steering is a breeze, and its not snappy at all so for the money i'm happy, but when the tires rub its just such a bad sound. Guess i'll run tough it out and run it this season and over xmas ill swap in a different suspension.

-Rio Red 94' Cobra: H/C/I.....sold
-DSG 89' H/C/I 5spd Notch..........now for sale PM me
post #5 of 5 Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveo'cobra
Yea i am planning on going with H&R SS springs
Go with the H&R race springs instead, the SS springs lower the roll center too much also. Just trying to help prevent you from spending money on a part that wont do any better than what you have now. Try here www.maximummotorsports.com buy parts from one vendor that are designed to work together, instead of cutting and pasting various parts from several companies. Youll have a better handling car when finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement