Anyone know anything about Koni Sport Suspension kit? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-10-2005, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Question Anyone know anything about Koni Sport Suspension kit?

Just browsing around Koni's site for whatever reason and found they offer a Koni Sport Suspension Kit, which includes 4 Koni Sports (aka Yellows) and matched springs. Drop is supposed to be 30-35mm (1.2 - 1.4in) all around. The Fox part number is 1130-1700, SN95 is 1130-1701, both list for $678 on their site. I called Summit and was told $635.88 for the Fox kit (I would assume the SN95 kit would cost the same) and it would take a week to 10 days to get. www.shox.com appears to have the kit for $632.80, and they do free shipping on Koni stuff, so I guess that's the best deal.

Their website doesn't give any details on spring rates, so I emailed them - we'll see what they have to say. As for the generic advertising on their site, it says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koni
http://www.koni-na.com/products.cfm#cars The sporting motorist who wants nothing but the very best in road-holding is offered a unique range of KONI suspension kits: complete kits consisting of matching KONI Sport shock absorbers and lowering springs. These kits will give the car absolutely superb road-holding qualities and the looks of a real sports car.

With KONI lowering springs the centre of gravity of the car is lowered. Combined with a firmer suspension this will result in even better steering qualities and reduced body movement. The use of lowering springs requires special damping characteristics: the mere application of stiffer springs together with ordinary shock absorbers often has a negative impact on road-holding and comfort, and may even lead to dangerous situations.

Therefore, KONI's product range offers you complete suspension kits consisting of matching springs and dampers. Of course, the lowering is limited to such an extent that the car will still remain suitable for normal street use.
Nothing unexpected there.

I'm actually interested in this for someone else, as I'm pretty well set on suspension stuff. I met a guy at the last lapping day out here who has a beater Fox GT. It was his first track day, hadn't had the car very long, and he and I talked a bit about improving the car and exchanged emails so we could continue the discussion. I mentioned the Bullitt kit to him (he's not rolling in dough, so he was looking for good, inexpensive improvements). This Koni kit is 1/2 again as much as the Bullitt kit, but the Koni is actually designed for the Fox, so there wouldn't be any fitment issues. (Of course, he could do the Bullitt kit + MM C/C plates to solve the front strut length issue for the same cost as the Koni kit...)

So, Cliffs Notes summary - Has anyone tried the Koni Sport Suspension Kit? How did you like it? Is it worth the money?

Thanks!

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

The rather disappointing reply from Koni:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koni
They are a conventional lowering spring in the stock locations. We do not publish our spring rates. We do include a replacement rear axle snubber.
(emphasis added by me)

I'll try calling shox.com to see if they can tell me the rates.

Pat

post #3 of 9 Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I got free shipping on a kit from performancepartsinc.com and they told me the rates were equal to an Eibach Pro Kit. The springs were almost identical in all characteristics to a Pro Kit that I also have. They charged me around $605.00 for the kit I do believe.

Last edited by DSOStang; 10-10-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-10-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the lead, DSO - they've got the kit now for $619.99, which is a good deal. (Usually shox.com is tough to beat). Have you got the kit installed on your car yet, and if so, how do you like it? Any other significant handling mods? What use does the car see?

Pat
post #5 of 9 Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
Thanks for the lead, DSO - they've got the kit now for $619.99, which is a good deal. (Usually shox.com is tough to beat). Have you got the kit installed on your car yet, and if so, how do you like it? Any other significant handling mods? What use does the car see?

Pat

Which kit for what year car? I have installed both kits with excellent results. I have used them for track and street for both applications. I have found that PPI will beat shox prices if you just tell them.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Don't have any experience with either kit but the Bullitt kit includes swaybars as well as shocks and springs. Buy Ford Racing has the Bullitt kit for $399. Shipping would probably cost on it though. http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=458 It doesn't list the sizes on the swaybars but says the spring rates are 600 front and 250 rear.

I've noticed several spring kits not listing rates. I guess they think if people like their kit they don't want others to duplicate it so they don't tell what the rates are.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-11-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOStang
Which kit for what year car? I have installed both kits with excellent results. I have used them for track and street for both applications. I have found that PPI will beat shox prices if you just tell them.
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like it's a worthwhile setup. Considering a Koni Sport + Eibach Pro-Kit combo would cost about $800 or more, getting essentially the same thing for 3/4 the cost is pretty nice. I imagine the guy in question would be happy with either this kit or the Bullitt kit.

This would be going on a Fox GT, by the way, I'm not even sure what year it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo
Don't have any experience with either kit but the Bullitt kit includes swaybars as well as shocks and springs. Buy Ford Racing has the Bullitt kit for $399.
Thanks, I didn't realize ... oh wait, yeah I did...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I mentioned the Bullitt kit to him (he's not rolling in dough, so he was looking for good, inexpensive improvements). This Koni kit is 1/2 again as much as the Bullitt kit, but the Koni is actually designed for the Fox, so there wouldn't be any fitment issues. (Of course, he could do the Bullitt kit + MM C/C plates to solve the front strut length issue for the same cost as the Koni kit...)

Pat

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 10-11-2005 at 12:59 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM

does anyone have any more information on this kit? impressions?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2006, 05:01 PM
two

Spring rates are approx. 600/650 and 230/250. I bought this kit, will be installing in a few weeks. Let you know what I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement