Surprised an Elise driver on the track last week... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-07-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Surprised an Elise driver on the track last week...

right click save as or copy/paste

http://www.ownzracing.com/mamdayz/MA...1-05-Elise.wmv

After the session he said "I kept looking back and damn, you were still there!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-07-2005, 05:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
right click save as or copy/paste

http://www.ownzracing.com/mamdayz/MA...1-05-Elise.wmv

After the session he said "I kept looking back and damn, you were still there!"
That is some seriously smooth driving. Nice.

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #3 of 26 Old 10-07-2005, 06:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Sweet!!! What kind of suspension mods have you done?

94 SVT Cobra (rio red)- 408/T56 476rwhp 451rwtq

89 Notchback (sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 10-07-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

Here's my sig, which I can't update without losing a lot of it because the character limit is smaller than it used to be. Since I created the sig I added GT40 heads and Steeda X2 balljoint and got rid of the Corbeau seats.

- '92 5-sp LX coupe, TKO, 3.55s, pulleys, Al DS, 1-5/8 shorties, Magnaflow spun metallic cats, 2.5 Dynomax VT's, Pro5.0 w/ Steeda Comfort Pro
- GT40Y's, E cam, Cobra intake, tmoss ported lower, FRPP 65mm TB, BBK 75mm MAF, 155 lph pump, FRPP oil cooler, Al rad, 130amp alt, Energy mounts
- Autopower 4-point bar, 5-pt harnesses, MM weld-in subs and STB
- MM K-member/A-arms/Coilovers, 425# springs, MM cc plates, Koni Yellow DA's
- MM adj rear LCA's/torque arm/panhard bar, 500# rear springs, Eibach swaybar, Koni Yellow SA's
- SN95 Cobra brakes, FR500 17x9 wheels, Raybestos ST47 pads
- 3400 lbs with me and 1/2 tank of gas
- Regional autocross champ 99-02, 10,100 miles on 17 tracks

Last edited by MFE; 10-07-2005 at 06:16 PM.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-07-2005, 06:20 PM

Wish I could be skilled like that...

Mach I: Stock
95 Mustang GT; Sold.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-07-2005, 08:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Very nice. I'd like you to do the same with a stang with heavy suspension mods!

94 Vobra Black on Black

DSS Pro Bullit 331(9.5cr), S-Trim 9psi, AFR 185's, E-cam, Holley Systemax, BBK 75mm, 42lb green tops, Dual Walbro's, JBA shorties, Bassani "X", Magnaflows, Mccleod Twin Disc, Viper T56, 4:10's, Eaton/31's, Baer fronts, H&R/Koni Yellows, 17X10r/9f 03 Cobra's w/315r/275f Goodyear F1's, Sparco seats, AEM EMS w/dual UEGO's and 2-bar MAP conversion!

554rwhp/548rwtq @5500 rpms Dynopack.

AEM EMS for sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-07-2005, 09:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Nice driving skills!!
You can tell how relaxed you are by the way your hands are lightly gripping the steering wheel.

Mike
post #8 of 26 Old 10-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Two thumbs up!!! Great video and nice driving. What kind of tires were you on?

Looks like a fun track. I really liked those fast right-left-right sections.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-08-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

I was running the last life out of my Kumho MX 245/45-17's. Getting a new set today, the first time in years I've gone through more than one set in a year. Stands to reason since I've put over 750 track miles on them this year.

Yeah, *I'd* like to the same with more suspension mods. There was a guy out there in an '87-93 GT with all the Griggs goodies except coilovers, plus a healthy dose of power, and he just ran away from me...and right off the track, virtually every session. Ended up breaking his trans from violent real wheel hop under braking.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Saw you post this over on Corner Carvers. You mentioned much quicker lap times. Since I seem to remember you just installing X2's, how much of the improved times do you contibute to the X2's? Enjoyed the video!

Neal
-86 coupe project sitting in my garage on a 5 lug conversion.. and the motor is in.. and it runs
-newspeak SUCKS
post #11 of 26 Old 10-10-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

Hard to say what they contributed but it had to be something. I can attribute the first few seconds of improvement from the first day to the second just to learning the line better. The improvements from the second trip to the third came even though the part where I probably got the most gain was screwed up by track repair. Without that section I think I'd have been another 1-2 seconds faster for a 4-5 second gain over the 2nd trip...and I'm not willing to claim it all came from driving.

I noticed the car stuck a little better in turns and exhibited WAY less of what I can't describe very well except to say that it used to kind of boing-boing-boing across the diagonal formed by the inside front and outside rear, and hardly does that anymore at all. Used to be able to hear it in the videos and even see it to some extent, not so much anymore, and those were the only things changed between events. All other equipment and settings were identical.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 AM

Great video! Keeping up with an Elise is quite an achievement.

88 LX Hatchback (100K Miles), Stock Engine, B&M Shifter, SFC, ST Brace, G-Load Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico Illumina Adj, MM LCA, FRPP UCA, FRPP FCA, Mac EL Headers, Dynomax Super Turbos, Mark VII front disc, TC rear disc, ROH ZR6 16x8, Fuzion ZRi 225/50R16, Corbeau Forza DS
post #13 of 26 Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Here's my sig, which I can't update without losing a lot of it because the character limit is smaller than it used to be. Since I created the sig I added GT40 heads and Steeda X2 balljoint and got rid of the Corbeau seats.
Sorry to hijack the thread but... Why did you get rid of the Corbeau seats and what did you replace them with?

Thanks, Ed

93 LX, Boosted and Braked
post #14 of 26 Old 10-14-2005, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

The lower cushion on the Corbeau's never felt comfortable to me...the thigh bolstering is too tall and too closely spaced for my 6-3 245 (at the time) frame. On top of that, the seats were flimsy, really no stronger than the stock seats, and on top of that, no matter what I did (short of bolting them straight to the floor) I couldn't get them low enough even with the Corbeau sliders and not simply the adapters. So the stockers went back in.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-14-2005, 01:08 PM

it's very odd to see a 13years old Mustang beating an Elise in the turns... i guess there is nothing odd about MFE beating someone else at the track.

BTW. how old are your 1/4 mile times? Seemed like the Elise was quite faster in the straight, i didn't know they were that fast in the straights. I know they are under 2000lbs/ 190hp... but still.

Hector
2000 Mustang GT
post #16 of 26 Old 10-14-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

Those are old, with stock heads and cam...now that I have better heads and cam the best I could do on my one trip to the strip this year was 13.90's at about 101. The elise is known for mid/low 13's at about 101. Far better power-to-weight ratio though. I was surprised it didn't walk me down the straights.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-14-2005, 10:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Nice smooth driving. Very relaxed and consistent- maybe too relaxed, but hey, you're not racing- just embarassing some guy in an Elise.

The first thing I noticed was your car has no power- your tach moves like cold molasses in 3rd gear. My perspective might be warped- my Mustang traps 117 in the 1/4 and my road race car is *faster* in a straight line.

Second thing was it looks like you could stand to loosen the car up a little- lots of tire squeal but only one instance of oversteer on the whole vid.

Last thing is you should also consider rebuilding your posi- heard the engine rev unchecked a few times mid turn.

750 track miles is excellent out of a set of tires. I probably ran the racecar about the same number of miles this year, and I don't want to count how many sets of R45 Hoosiers I used.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-15-2005, 07:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
There's no posi--it's a Ford.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-15-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast92Coupe
Nice smooth driving. Very relaxed and consistent- maybe too relaxed,
I may look relaxed but I was concentrating like a mutha. I still tend to grip the wheel too hard sometimes. I've had a lot of people tell me I look relaxed. I don't know why that is except I try not to over-react to every little thing and I keep my vision way ahead of the car. I learned while autocrossing "smooth is fast".

Quote:
Second thing was it looks like you could stand to loosen the car up a little- lots of tire squeal but only one instance of oversteer on the whole vid.
That's that one video...you should see my bloopers/slides/spin compilation. When I had a fellow mustang driver (beautiful 86 GT damn near perfectly matched with mine performance-wise) ride along with me and proclaim that my car's rear end felt a whole lot more planted than his I damn near choked, because to me, it's a handful.

I tend to trail-brake pretty aggressively and it often leads to corner-entry oversteer. That one instance you speak of in this video was a one-off. I have NEVER had the car oversteer on that part of the track in over 200 laps there, and frankly I don't know why it did.

Quote:
Last thing is you should also consider rebuilding your posi- heard the engine rev unchecked a few times mid turn.
Tell me about it...and most times I'm feathering the throttle trying to keep that in check. I get destroyed by other drivers on right-hand corner exits. I make up for it in braking zones and left-handers. But the last time I was in the diff this spring to freshen up the clutches, I discovered I had assembled it wrong the last time, and when I went to repack it the "good" way I discovered there was no way in hell I could get it back together with anything but the used clutches in the factory order. I don't know why...maybe it's the axles that came with the Baer conversion, I don't know, but I gave up caring too much because I was just dead sick and tired of working on the car after two head swaps and some other BS in the span of a couple months. I just wanted to drive the damn thing warts and all, so that's what I've done.
post #20 of 26 Old 10-16-2005, 09:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
That was awesome man. Im sure he was like WTF mate?
post #21 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 03:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
You do look pretty relaxed like it was just a 25mph drivers ed coarse.

btw how fast did you end up getting? sounded like 4th gear was up a bit. I'm guessing 125ish?

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #22 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 AM

MFE, impressive driving, you made it look all too easy. Your car handled well with the bolt ons you listed. Makes me continue to have hope for mine. Any plans in the future for any other suspension mods?

02 Mustang GT

Cervini Ram Air Hood, Steeda Race Wing, Billet running horse grill, JT racing CAI w/ K & N filter, BBK 70mm t/b, Ben Alameda Ported upper plenum, Steeda upper plenum spacer, BBK udp's, o/r H pipe, Flowmaster 1 chbr catback w/4" rolled stainless tips, Steeda G Trac Suspension (springs, subframes, G Trac Brace), Tokico HP series shocks/struts, front 13" cobra brakes, 13" rear Baer brake kit, B & M Pro Ripper shifter, high interior bling factor, chrome 95 CobraR's 17 x 9.5
post #23 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
MFE
Super Moderator

Near as I can tell I was doing 117-118 on the main straight and a little over 100 on each of the back straights. My first time out there, with the exact same engine and drivetrain, I was doing more like 111-112 on the main straight. The key difference is how fast I was able to ENTER the main straight.

I intended to at least have a panhard bar on it by now and either a 5-link or TA/PHB, but other things got in the way. And right now I don't have much of a bug for working on the thing so I don't know if it'll get any of it this year either. I may get rambunctious and install a PHB over the winter, i don't know.

I'm planning on rebuilding one of my spare transmissions and installing it, because the one I have in it (factory original that I already rebuilt once) started to get pretty rattly after that event. I don't know why. It leaks fluid like a sieve so I may have run it kind of dry but in any case the shifter rattles like crazy (good sign that the endplay has opened up, at least) and when I'm driving next to a curb or a wall and get on the gas I can hear a knock that's either the trans or an engine bearing. I'm hoping it's the trans
post #24 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 11:03 AM
RAT

last time I was in the diff this spring to freshen up the clutches, I discovered I had assembled it wrong the last time, and when I went to repack it the "good" way I discovered there was no way in hell I could get it back together with anything but the used clutches in the factory order.

I'll be reshiming the rearend on my autoxer today. I hear putting in all new clutches during a rebuild, the clutches in the rearend will start to slip sooner than if you reuse the old clutches and shim it. This is also using the recommended 4 clutchs and 3 friction plates in alternating order.
On my rebuild I ran into a similar problem as you did. After adding a new clutch, in place of a fricton plate, and restacking the order, I had to leave out the .025 shim that came from the factory in order to reinstall the pack. This was still tighter than the pack I had, but not as tight as if I'd used all new clutches and plates in the factory order with the .025 shim. It was close thou.
Improvements were notice on the course too.

RAT
65-FS
Red River Region - SCCA
post #25 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Near as I can tell I was doing 117-118 on the main straight and a little over 100 on each of the back straights. My first time out there, with the exact same engine and drivetrain, I was doing more like 111-112 on the main straight. The key difference is how fast I was able to ENTER the main straight.

I intended to at least have a panhard bar on it by now and either a 5-link or TA/PHB, but other things got in the way. And right now I don't have much of a bug for working on the thing so I don't know if it'll get any of it this year either. I may get rambunctious and install a PHB over the winter, i don't know.

I'm planning on rebuilding one of my spare transmissions and installing it, because the one I have in it (factory original that I already rebuilt once) started to get pretty rattly after that event. I don't know why. It leaks fluid like a sieve so I may have run it kind of dry but in any case the shifter rattles like crazy (good sign that the endplay has opened up, at least) and when I'm driving next to a curb or a wall and get on the gas I can hear a knock that's either the trans or an engine bearing. I'm hoping it's the trans
Sounds like you've got some winter projects coming up. Pursue w/vigor and make sure you're ready next spring. Hope it's the tranny too. Good luck and I'll be looking for more posts from the autox threads....I'm slowly learning and will hopefully put my knowledge to practice once it gets warm and ease into autox'ing. Thanks.

02 Mustang GT

Cervini Ram Air Hood, Steeda Race Wing, Billet running horse grill, JT racing CAI w/ K & N filter, BBK 70mm t/b, Ben Alameda Ported upper plenum, Steeda upper plenum spacer, BBK udp's, o/r H pipe, Flowmaster 1 chbr catback w/4" rolled stainless tips, Steeda G Trac Suspension (springs, subframes, G Trac Brace), Tokico HP series shocks/struts, front 13" cobra brakes, 13" rear Baer brake kit, B & M Pro Ripper shifter, high interior bling factor, chrome 95 CobraR's 17 x 9.5
post #26 of 26 Old 10-27-2005, 10:34 AM

That was an awesome run man! I didn't know a foxbody could perform like that! I know my man in the elise had to be thinking to himself "I should have had a fox!" It goes to show that there's no replacement for displacement especially in the straightaways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement