SVTOA Gainesville Mini Road Course Event. Want to come? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 10-02-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
SVTOA Gainesville Mini Road Course Event. See pictures, video and results.

Here is link to pictures from Chris Red V6
Gallery Pictures

Video of Off Course Lap

Lap times are not 100% acurate, we were having lots of timing equipment issues and missed lots of timed laps, sorry but here is what I have.
Gainesville Lap Times

Mike

Last edited by Buonosuperchargedcobra; 11-08-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Mike, did you get mine and Brigitte's entry? Will you be going up on the 5th or early in the morning on the 6th? I was hoping to get there early so we could take care of course setup before all the drivers show up.

BTW, the MSCC mini-prix was a blast! I took 2nd overall, only Edstrom in his highly modified C5 Vette beat me.

post #3 of 32 Old 10-03-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
Mike, did you get mine and Brigitte's entry? Will you be going up on the 5th or early in the morning on the 6th? I was hoping to get there early so we could take care of course setup before all the drivers show up.

BTW, the MSCC mini-prix was a blast! I took 2nd overall, only Edstrom in his highly modified C5 Vette beat me.
Got your registrations Glenn, sorry thought I sent confirmation on that.
I'm going up early on the 6th.

Congrats on the 2nd overall at MSSC!!
Sombody needs to take down Edstrom's Vette.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
is this open to anyone(namely me)? I'm attending my first SCCA event this weekend, and I know I'll be hooked afterwards.

I'll send you a PM. I just wanted to make sure it was open to some of us who are wet behind the ears.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
post #5 of 32 Old 10-03-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Red_V6
is this open to anyone(namely me)? I'm attending my first SCCA event this weekend, and I know I'll be hooked afterwards.

I'll send you a PM. I just wanted to make sure it was open to some of us who are wet behind the ears.
Yes, open to anyone. And yes you will be hooked like the rest of us!!
This will be a great time for beginners, there will be some top notch instructors and you'll get plenty of seat time.

Mike
post #6 of 32 Old 10-05-2005, 08:15 AM

We are going to have some good instructors for you first timers and also for you more advanced drivers. GIR is an excellent course that is a lot of fun to drive. This will be an opportunity to see just how well you car handles or maybe how it doesn't handle. It will be a great learning experience.

Any other Florida Corralers going? Oktavius? Han Solo? Dan94GT?
post #7 of 32 Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM

I'm trying to talk Oktavius, and I have a friend in a V6 who is 50/50%, and then I'm having an guest (great intelligent enthusiast, just bought a sube) come with me, who I might pay for to let him get some laps in my car.

post #8 of 32 Old 10-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
If it wasn't so far I would probably make it. Seems like a lot of fun though.
post #9 of 32 Old 10-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
alright Glenn called me out, I have to do it!

This looks Awesome and I want to do it but have some ?s

Is it just the $65 or do I have to pay the $40 fee (who's guest am I) and do we have to buy the lunch.

Also I had been using a friends helmet (who has it in gainsville where I will be staying, so I cant look at it) but I guess its just a motorcycle helmet not a SA. And those things are damn expensive on ebay $150 for open face (any reason not to get open face, as far as sanctioning and what not?)

I want to do it but I just cant if this is going to cost over $300 (gas, tolls ect.)

Ive got to find out more because I really want to do this. Looks way better than IRCC and Deland.

94gt w/ 3.90s ported GT40Ps milled Typhoon intake, Crower 15511 cam, 1.7 rr, BBK longtubes/offroad H-pipe 10/29/2003 [email protected] 1.83 60" now MM suspension

89coupe (for my chick) 98 explorer 5.0 w/ 73k miles stock mustang cam.
13.5 @ 102isn
post #10 of 32 Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan94GT
Is it just the $65 or do I have to pay the $40 fee (who's guest am I) and do we have to buy the lunch.
You can come as my guest and save the $40.
Quote:
Also I had been using a friends helmet (who has it in gainsville where I will be staying, so I cant look at it) but I guess its just a motorcycle helmet not a SA. And those things are damn expensive on ebay $150 for open face (any reason not to get open face, as far as sanctioning and what not?)
If you intend to keep doing SCCA events you will need to buy a helmet anyway. A Snell M95 helmet will not pass inspection starting in 2006 so you really need to get a Snell M or SA 2000 or better anyway. An open face is fine for both open track events and for Solo II. I prefer the full face but that's me, get whatever you like and is within your budget. Frankly an SA is the way to go as you are legal for just about any event you want to attend and they are safer than an M rated helmet. Check with saferacer.com, soloracer.com or discoveryparts.com for a helmet, they have some pretty good deals.
Quote:
I really want to do this. Looks way better than IRCC and Deland.
It is way better and you will have an absolute blast!

post #11 of 32 Old 10-08-2005, 04:01 PM

M2000 helmets work fine for this event?

post #12 of 32 Old 10-09-2005, 06:29 AM

Quote:
M2000 helmets work fine for this event?
I checked back with event organizers and got this information. A snell M95 or newer works for autcross but track events require an SA95 rated helmet. In 2006 the minimum standard goes up to SA2000 or better. I would suggest ordering one now while you have a month to get one.
post #13 of 32 Old 10-09-2005, 03:45 PM

can a SA2000 helmet double for motorcycle duty? I've noticed the shape of many to look not very cunductive to both purposes. I guess I could get one for each, but if I didn't have to spend the money twice, that would help a lot.

Does anyone have any good specific deals on entry level helmets? I've started to search the links posted, although I have a lot to learn, haha.

post #14 of 32 Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 AM

[SPAM]

http://www.dariusrudis.com/simpson

SA can be used as motorcycle. In laymens terms, testing is done:
1. "bowling ball drop on helmet - looks for no cracks". On SA-rated, you drop the ball TWICE - no cracks.
2. in case of fire, NYLON melts and sticks to you face, then catches fire (thats a bad thing). NOMEX doesnt burn.

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer

Last edited by drudis; 10-10-2005 at 10:34 AM.
post #15 of 32 Old 10-16-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Update 10/16/05 we have 10 opennings left. I'm holding a few spots so if you want to come be sure to shoot me a PM, then send I your registration.

Mike
post #16 of 32 Old 10-16-2005, 04:02 PM

I'm psyched. Can't wait. I'm going to have to bring a HJC helmet though, having rear differential problems that are likely to eat my remainding funds.

post #17 of 32 Old 10-30-2005, 03:23 PM

hey, just wanted to bring this back up

If we've PM'ed, do we need to have any forms submitted before?

I also have 2 more drivers if there are slots remaining.

EDIT: on the tech form, it shows no Snell M helmets? Is that enforced for this event?

Last edited by Chris_Red_V6; 10-30-2005 at 03:47 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 10-30-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

No need to send forms in at this time, I will hold spots for you and 2 others and can pay on Nov.6.
Do send me their names.

Mike
post #19 of 32 Old 11-05-2005, 12:58 AM

I'm almost ready to go, unfortunately, I'm stuck on the front suspension, and won't have time to get rid of the GMS arms. Its a scary thought to be running the course on them, but I don't think I have a choice. I'm going to bring some tools with me and jacks/jackstands, I might have an oppurtunity to swap the lower arms to the MM ones onsite depending on how things look and if I can get help in labor. I also had to forgo the bumpsteer kit, not a single shop in town could get the spindles drilled this week :/

post #20 of 32 Old 11-05-2005, 10:36 AM

I would not count on doing the LCA's onsite. There really isn't anywhere to work on a car and if you run into a problem you're screwed. there is nowhere to park the car won concrete or asphalt and it's a good twenty to thirty minutes to the nearest place to buy anything automotive. Just make sure eveything is safe to run and come on out and have fun.
post #21 of 32 Old 11-05-2005, 01:20 PM

understood, I'll see if I can forgo some sleep and do it at the hotel (haha, its either swap the arms, or forgo a rear swaybar). ON EDIT, haha, I hope no problems with the mm arms

However, are there any SVTOA members that can register me as their guest? If not, no big deal, but if anyone could, I'd appreciate the $40 savings

Last edited by Chris_Red_V6; 11-05-2005 at 06:45 PM.
post #22 of 32 Old 11-05-2005, 06:06 PM

Hey. Im going

Never got back to this thread, but Im staying with friends and am racing tomorrow.

Glenn I tried to call you but My Phone isnt working up here for some reason.

Cant wait.
See yall in the morning.
Danny

94gt w/ 3.90s ported GT40Ps milled Typhoon intake, Crower 15511 cam, 1.7 rr, BBK longtubes/offroad H-pipe 10/29/2003 [email protected] 1.83 60" now MM suspension

13.5 @ 102isn
post #23 of 32 Old 11-06-2005, 05:19 AM

well, got to the hotel at 5am, lost a corner lamp in a projectile related event. Not much body damage, I hope I still pass tech.

if anyone has a stock passengers corner lens, it would be much appreciated. Sucks to have invested so much time and $ to lose the priveledge on the drive down

post #24 of 32 Old 11-07-2005, 04:01 PM

I have 1100 pics from the event. I'll be pulling the best out and making a gallery, but if anyone from the events wants pics of their car, or the whole event, I can send a DVD, or 3 CD's (although I cannot retouch 1100 pics, so haha, they may need slight touching up).

I had a blast, which is a major understatement.

post #25 of 32 Old 11-07-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Chris glad you finally showed up on Sunday. Gald to here you had as much fun as I did. Sorry we didn't get to chat more but was riding with students much of the time. I would like to get a DVD with all pictures, let me know how much? I'll PM you my address.

Thanks, Mike
PS, your car still looked good even without corner lamp.

post #26 of 32 Old 11-07-2005, 05:02 PM

Yeah Chris, good that you were able to show up. I guess, like Mike, I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to chat with much of anybody all day. Not sure if it was you or not, but was it your car I was in when it lost traction on the infield section and went off-course into the grass? I was in and out of so many cars through the day I can't remember which ones I was in! LOL

I had a lot of fun as did Brigitte, even though we were a bit disappointed that we had so many tire issues, first with cording the Hoosier and then flat spotting the Kumhos. I think I found the root cause of the flat spotting today. The terminal on the BAT+ wire to the alternator burned through and lost contact with the post until the battery voltage dropped to a dangerous level. This made the ABS computer go flaky which gave me the erratic operation. I guess I'll drop the alternator off at the electric shop to get it repaired and hopfully have everything up and running in time for the State Champs AX next weekend at GIR.

Last edited by Glenn; 11-07-2005 at 05:09 PM.
post #27 of 32 Old 11-07-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
Yeah Chris, good that you were able to show up. I guess, like Mike, I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to chat with much of anybody all day. Not sure if it was you or not, but was it your car I was in when it lost traction on the infield section and went off-course into the grass? I was in and out of so many cars through the day I can't remember which ones I was in! LOL

I had a lot of fun as did Brigitte, even though we were a bit disappointed that we had so many tire issues, first with cording the Hoosier and then flat spotting the Kumhos. I think I found the root cause of the flat spotting today. The terminal on the BAT+ wire to the alternator burned through and lost contact with the post until the battery voltage dropped to a dangerous level. This made the ABS computer go flaky which gave me the erratic operation. I guess I'll drop the alternator off at the electric shop to get it repaired and hopfully have everything up and running in time for the State Champs AX next weekend at GIR.

embarrassed to say, but that was me that you got the offroad tour with. I think a lot had to do with how the panhard bar was binding on the swaybar. whenever weight was transferred back there, the swaybar would squat down and literally sit on the panhard, which wouldn't give. after that last lap I got under the car to see how they lined up, and sure enough, that's what I saw. so my last go round on the course I lightened up on the throttle coming out of turns, and the car rewarded me well for it.

The instruction was awesome, I got to ride with 3 instructors, and really learned a whole lot. I'll definately be going to sebring. The other guy working the camera is even talking about getting a ford product so he can join in on the fun.

Not to name any instructors out, but I have here a nice series of shots of a particular black cobra making a royal mess of the grounds and cones . The pics turned out really great, I was really suprised when I went throuth them today.

post #28 of 32 Old 11-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Sure was a lot of fun.

Were times recorded and will they get posted anywhere?

According to my friends watching the times I was running pretty well. 1:06xs I guess.

My friend took some pics on her digital camera as well as 2 short movies, Dont know if ill get any acces to them but Ill see what i can do.

Need to do a lot of work on the car now though. It was running pretty hot all day, Pinnging pretty often, and blowing some black smoke out the right pipe. The overflow nearly overflowed a few times. Hope the headgaskets are alright.

Time to make the ABS work again, skidded off a few times. I was surprised I locked them up with the little rotors and stock pads (99+ stuff).

Glenn. My friends sure enjoyed the parade laps they got to ride on. hehe

Chris, cant wait to see the galery.

13.5 @ 102isn
post #29 of 32 Old 11-07-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not to name any instructors out, but I have here a nice series of shots of a particular black cobra making a royal mess of the grounds and cones . The pics turned out really great, I was really suprised when I went throuth them today.
HaHa!
That happened to be right after they cleaned the track from someones radiator spill. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.

But here is the video from inside my car on that lap.
Video

Will be posting up times soon too!

Mike
post #30 of 32 Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM

some samples are here:

http://www.chris-wynne.com/gir

I'll gallery it up when I am done touching them up.

Also available in gallary format:

http://www.chris-wynne.com/gallery/v/cwynne/gir/

Last edited by Chris_Red_V6; 11-08-2005 at 12:53 AM.
post #31 of 32 Old 11-08-2005, 06:05 PM

Great pics Chris! Thanks for taking them. Can't wait to see the rest of them once you get them posted.
post #32 of 32 Old 11-09-2005, 01:30 PM

I'll have more up soon, I need to learn how to make the automation on photoshop work well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement