What alum. spoiler was that? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 09-29-2005, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What alum. spoiler was that?

Ok, this is taking it old school. Unfortunately, I don't have the magazine anywhere close, but it was in one of the Mustang magazines.

It was a white hatchback LX with a fabricated aluminum spoiler sitting on the rear. It wasn't like one fo the drag spoilers you can get, it was thicker, shorter, and adjustable.

Does anyone have any pictures of know where I can find one? Worst comes to worst, I have a really good chassis guy who can build me anything I need, but I need pictures!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Arron

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-11-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

TTT! This was an open track/auto X car.

Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #3 of 31 Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I think either Griggs or Maier Racing makes a spoiler like you're talking about.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-12-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Griggs makes one for the SN95 cars, but they aren't adjustable.

All of Maier's are fiberglass with no pictures

Engine:
post #5 of 31 Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I think I know what car you are talking about, it was in MMFF or 5.0 either earlier this year or late last year. It had CCW's on it and the air filter stuck through the hood. The struts on the wing were on top and they attached up by the back window? I'll see if I can find a pic.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-14-2005, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

I believe thats the car. I don't remember about the air filter, though. I do think it had brake ducts under the front bumper.

Engine:
post #7 of 31 Old 10-14-2005, 06:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
That was a carb'ed car you are thinking of with the air filter. Though they might have the same wing but its a giant aluminum one thats on the yellow MM shop car I think is the one you are talking about.

Matt

-"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra
Your only alive cause I haven't had time to kill you yet!
post #8 of 31 Old 10-14-2005, 07:10 PM

November 04 issue of 5.0 is what you want. Its got the yellow MM Winged Wonder AI car on the cover. The article is on pg 118-121, I read through it, all it says about the wing is "He added a fully functional custom rear wing..." Car was built and is owned by Jamie Lewis. The wing is very cool, very functional and looks like itd be a straight forward fab job.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-14-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thats not the wing I'm talking about, no matter how well it works, it just isn't needed on a street car.

The wing I am referring to is very similar to an aluminum drag spoiler, as in it hangs off the rear of the hatch. However, the one I saw is a little shorter and thicker sheet aluminum.

Engine:
post #10 of 31 Old 10-15-2005, 08:45 AM

I think you may have thought I was talking about the MM car but I wasnt. Theres another car in the magazine, a white hatchback LX with a small adjustable aluminum wing that sits back off the hatch. The adjusting turn buckles attach up by the hatch on each side. Thats the one I was talking about. Sorry if thats not it just trying to help.

Last edited by ramnstang; 10-15-2005 at 08:48 AM.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-15-2005, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnstang
I think you may have thought I was talking about the MM car but I wasnt. Theres another car in the magazine, a white hatchback LX with a small adjustable aluminum wing that sits back off the hatch. The adjusting turn buckles attach up by the hatch on each side. Thats the one I was talking about. Sorry if thats not it just trying to help.
Yeah thats the car, but someone was talking about the yellow car. Anyone got any pics of that white one?

Engine:
post #12 of 31 Old 10-15-2005, 12:36 PM

Sorry I guess I was combining two cars in my head. I got it confused with a silver car from another issue that was the carbed car. I'm looking at the white car now, I just don't have a scanner!
post #13 of 31 Old 10-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gtop
I'm looking at the white car now, I just don't have a scanner!
How about a digital camera? Just take a picture of the picture, it should come out OK (having done it before). Not sure how the picture posting works here, but if you need someplace to host it email it me and I'll put it up.

Pat
post #14 of 31 Old 10-15-2005, 09:49 PM

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]Don't know why I didn't think of that.
post #15 of 31 Old 10-15-2005, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thats perfect! Thank you for the pictures!

Now, time to save up and talk to my fabricator!

Arron

Engine:
post #16 of 31 Old 10-16-2005, 01:42 AM

You might try and contact APEX Motorsports theyre mentioned in the article for helping with the build extensively and could maybe get you some better pics of the wing or get you in touch with someone that knows the specs and dimensions of it. Better than guessing at it.
click here > http://www.apexmotorsports.com/aboutus.html
post #17 of 31 Old 10-16-2005, 01:31 PM

That wing if far too low to have any real effects, and it looks like crap.

Mr. STFU
post #18 of 31 Old 10-16-2005, 04:30 PM

I think it looks pretty cool, but it would look better on a notchback rather than the hatchback. And from the pictures it doesn't look aluminum to me - you can see reflections in it. That would lead me to believe that it's either plexiglass or, if it is in fact aluminum, it's highly polished.

Pat
post #19 of 31 Old 10-16-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydhawk
I never said it had any real effect. I'm just getting tired of the 93 Cobra spoiler I've got and wanna switch it up.

G'day!

Engine:
post #20 of 31 Old 11-06-2005, 05:06 AM

Quote:
That wing if far too low to have any real effects,
Good thing it's not a wing. It's plenty high to have very real effects as a spoiler though.

Must get all your tech from Dech....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 31 Old 11-06-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A

Must get all your tech from Dech....
No, I get it from smart(Camaro owner) guys like you....

Mr. STFU

Last edited by sydhawk; 11-06-2005 at 11:13 AM.
post #22 of 31 Old 11-06-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:
No, I get it from smart(Camaro owner) guys like you....
Too bad you don't. Or at the very least, smart Mustang guys...like these guys for example:

Silly fools, don't they know that low wing doesn't have any "real effect?" Maybe they should see what DECH uses on their race winning cars.
post #23 of 31 Old 11-07-2005, 09:26 AM

I'm soooo wounded. Obviously you have a problem with me using wing instead of spoiler, or that I said the wing needs to be higher for greater effects, or you have a problem with DECH. Either way, it's your problem, and I'm not going to play your game. Nice try tho.

Mr. STFU
post #24 of 31 Old 11-08-2005, 04:15 AM

You don't know the difference between a wing and a spoiler or how they operate differently. That's your problem, not mine. What kind of DECH wing are you running? Something like this?

Talk about a wing too low to do any damn good.... Give me a decent spoiler over that thing any day. You might agree if you had the foggiest clue on the requirements of each. Wings can be superior in many ways...but not that close to the trunk.
post #25 of 31 Old 11-08-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I'm soooo wounded. Obviously you have a problem with me using wing instead of spoiler, or that I said the wing needs to be higher for greater effects, or you have a problem with DECH. Either way, it's your problem, and I'm not going to play your game. Nice try tho.
In the 3rd grade this would just be paraphrased as I know you are, but what am I?! or I'm rubber, you're glue, bounces off me and sticks to you!!

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #26 of 31 Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You don't know the difference between a wing and a spoiler or how they operate differently.
I make a mistake by calling a spoiler a wing, and you get all bent out of shape. A little anal, aren't you?
Quote:
That's your problem, not mine. What kind of DECH wing are you running? Something like this?

I don't run a wing on my FOX bodied hatch.

Quote:
Talk about a wing too low to do any damn good.... Give me a decent spoiler over that thing any day. You might agree if you had the foggiest clue on the requirements of each. Wings can be superior in many ways...but not that close to the trunk.
Oh, I have a clue, and it's not foggy at all. I guess you did extensive testing with that DECH wing, did you? Funny thing, but The DECH wing you posted above is on an SN95 Stang. Different body style to a FOX hatchback, and the air reacts totally different on each vehicle. When you actually get a clue, that the air reacts differently on different cars, you might understand. Now, would that DECH wing work on a FOX? Sure it would but it would have to be mounted alot higher...pretty much at roofline.

Maybe I should have explain my thought better. The spoiler,(I know you'll appreciate that), in question would have greater effects if it was up higher...please dispute that. The gains of it's location now are minimal, but I don't have to tell you that, do I? You just go ahead and run anything you want, and you think what you want. I know what I know, which according to an expert like you, it isn't much. Well that would be a good thing, seeing your great example doesn't even involve the same vehicle, or same design of wing/spoiler. And even tho you don't care...The DECH wing does actually work, on the SN 95, and spoilers that low don't add a whole lot on Fox bodied cars.... this was tested in a windtunnel, and on racetracks up here in Canada, but what do we know about stuff like this? Now igloos on the other hand. Have a great day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
In the 3rd grade this would just be paraphrased as I know you are, but what am I?! or I'm rubber, you're glue, bounces off me and sticks to you!!
Oh yeah....nana nana na na

Mr. STFU
post #27 of 31 Old 11-09-2005, 01:57 PM

I built my own, but doesnt sound like what you were after...

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #28 of 31 Old 11-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Darius,

Did you cut some new struts from aluminum stock? I saw Eric Anderson's car at VIR at the Synergy fall fling and that's what he'd done. He even won the "big wing award"! I'm planning on ding something similar on my '87 GT. I have an APR GTII on the way. Just curious, but who's actual wing is that? I'm assuming you didn't fab that but you never know....

Thanks,

David

'87 GT Griggs front, EVM 3-link, Brembo/Baer, GT40 heads and intake, panhard, coilovers, Kirk Racing Roll Bar
post #29 of 31 Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 AM

Quote:
A little anal, aren't you?
Not any more anal than somebody pointing out that 2+2 does not equal 5. A spoiler is not a wing. A wing is not a spoiler. A tire is not an engine. A gastank is not a torque arm.
Quote:
The spoiler,(I know you'll appreciate that), in question would have greater effects if it was up higher...please dispute that.
Thanks for stating the obvious. The taller you make it, the more downforce it will make. What a revelation! The ***** is it's already tall enough to be on the steep part of the efficiency curve for Cl to Cd ratio.

That wasn't the "dispute." You said it had no real affect. That's what I was disputing.
Quote:
The gains of it's location now are minimal, but I don't have to tell you that, do I?
Yes, you do. If you actually study enough about aerodynamics that you can tell the difference between a wing and a spoiler, you'll find that on a wide variety of rear end shapes, a spoiler just 2" tall has a large effect (Cl reduced by -.1 to -.2 range--up to 250+ lbs net vertical force change at the rear tires at 150 MPH). That's a measley 2"! Now look for data on a 2" tall wing. Good luck findy any. Some reading material for you:

Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, W.H. Hucho
The origins of Drag and Lift Reductions on Automobiles with Front and Rear Spoilers, Franz Schenkel
Negative Lift Devices on Racing Cars, Scibor-Rylski
Quote:
The DECH wing does actually work, on the SN 95, and spoilers that low don't add a whole lot on Fox bodied cars.... this was tested in a windtunnel
OK, what is the Cl of the Dech wing pictured above on an SN 95? What is the Cl of the Griggs-style spoilers on a Fox?

Surely you have this data upon which to base your statement that one "works" and the other has "no real affect," don't you? Let's see it.
post #30 of 31 Old 11-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
That wasn't the "dispute." You said it had no real affect. That's what I was disputing.
When you quote me...do it properly Mr I can't read..

Quote:
I never said it would have no real effects Einstein.

As for the DECH wing, I personally don't have the numbers. There was the 78 page document done at the U Of Toronto, on that wing. Might be some good reading for you. The only data that matters are track times, and by just swapping that wing at the track over the stock, it shaved almost 4 seconds off a lap, at Shannonville. I guess it works.

Mr. STFU

Last edited by sydhawk; 11-14-2005 at 12:58 PM.
post #31 of 31 Old 11-15-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaninnc
Darius,

Did you cut some new struts from aluminum stock? I saw Eric Anderson's car at VIR at the Synergy fall fling and that's what he'd done. He even won the "big wing award"! I'm planning on ding something similar on my '87 GT. I have an APR GTII on the way. Just curious, but who's actual wing is that? I'm assuming you didn't fab that but you never know....

Thanks,

David
Yes, I made the struts myself, as the stock ones were like 6"(?) tall. I wanted a wing right at the roofline.

p.s. I have another wing at home, brand new in the box. (was going to a friend who changed his mind). Contact me [email protected]

Darius Rudis

1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement