Autocrossing with a big block under the hood? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Autocrossing with a big block under the hood?

So yeah like the title states, what do you guys think it would be like to autocross with a big block under the hood? Does anyone run a 460ci V8 big block or bigger and autocross with it? Reason I ask this question is because I am building just this, a 466ci autocross terror with a 4spd top loader tranny behind it. Let me know what you guys think.

Shane

Shane Glynn
SCCA Member number: 328085_0
'99 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition: Its a big, slow, tough truck, whats not to like about it?
'92 Thunderbird SC (35CP)- ex NASA American Iron car turned SCCA terror: CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR SPONSORS. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT!!!!
Glynn Motorsports
- Project Autocross Terror/747/snow plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 AM

Garage
That sounds like a silly idea to me. Way too much weight in the front end. I hope you plan on running some seriously stiff springs and some steam rollers for front tires.

post #3 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I probably should have mentioned that this motor is going in a '92 Thunderbird SC (see sig) not a mustang. After I put aluminum heads, intake manifold, carb, and any other aluminum or light weight bits on it, it should weight a little more than the V6 with supercharger and all related parts that come stock on this car. Plus you have to factor in that the engine bay is currently gutted along with most the rest of the car. Should make for some interesting times.

I'll post up some pics of the car later tonight.

Shane

Shane Glynn
'99 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition: Its a big, slow, tough truck, whats not to like about it?
'92 Thunderbird SC (35CP)- ex NASA American Iron car turned SCCA terror: CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR SPONSORS. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT!!!!
Glynn Motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 PM

I like the idea how many cubes are you going and which heads and intake. And what trans.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94_gt
I like the idea how many cubes are you going and which heads and intake. And what trans.
466ci is what I am going with for now so not to get to crazy. I want to run aluminum Ford racing John Kaase super cobra jet heads if I can aford them. If not maybe a set of Edelbrock or TFS aluminum heads. An Edelbrock performer RPM, or Victor jr intake manifold is what I plan to run. A top loader 4spd manual tranny from an early mustang will handle the work load. All in all I am pushing for 500-600rwhp.

Shane

Shane Glynn
Glynn Motorsports
post #6 of 14 Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pics of my car that I am going to put the big block in and autocross it.

Shane

EDIT: Guess the pics dont work for me. Go to http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=71758 to view the pics.

Shane Glynn
Glynn Motorsports

Last edited by quick35th; 09-30-2005 at 10:59 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-03-2005, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else have any other opinions about my project?

Shane

Shane Glynn
Glynn Motorsports
post #8 of 14 Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick35th
Anyone else have any other opinions about my project?

Shane
Yeah. Good Luck.

Should produce interested results, not necessarily interesting times. Unless sort of slow is interesting. A huge car with a huge, heavy engine...hmmmm.....I have enough trouble in my fox body that weighs roughly 3000lbs and has just under 300 hp.

I just don't see how it will become an autoX terror. Have you autoX'd before?
post #9 of 14 Old 10-03-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92MNstanger
Yeah. Good Luck.

Should produce interested results, not necessarily interesting times. Unless sort of slow is interesting. A huge car with a huge, heavy engine...hmmmm.....I have enough trouble in my fox body that weighs roughly 3000lbs and has just under 300 hp.

I just don't see how it will become an autoX terror. Have you autoX'd before?
Well the car dementionally is big but it does not weight all to much. Its finally weight is probably going to be somewhere in the 3200-3400 pound range.

Yeah I have been autocrossing for 3 years now.

Shane

Shane Glynn
Glynn Motorsports
post #10 of 14 Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
My gut says you're going to spend a lot of time spinning the tires, unless you can set that big block really far back to get a decent weight distribution. You'll get spanked by stock Miatas due to the poor weight balance and huge width. But if being non-competitive doesn't bother you, you'll have a lot of fun in a good looking, unique car. Put as much tire as you can under that bad boy. Hoosier makes a nice 27x14-16 road race slick, should be just right.

Justin

post #11 of 14 Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 PM

Well if you've already started building it I have no advice, but Ford sells 460 aluminum blocks or crate engines or something. Saw a writeup about it how it doesn't weigh much more than a stock 5L, which is a good thing.

Personally I'd go for a 408 though, since you can make just as much power but with a small block.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 PM

If you can get the front end light enough that thing will be a blast to drive. It may not be the most competitve car but being able to boil the tires down in any gear always makes me smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead

Personally I'd go for a 408 though, since you can make just as much power but with a small block.
Well even if you get the same top hp and tq numbers on a dyno, small block power just isnt the same as big block power. The ungodly low end and flat torque curve and extra cubic inches makes a big difference.

91 lx, 4 cylinder conversion,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-03-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Weight disribution stock is nearly 50/50. All I would have to do is take 250lbs off the noise and move it to the back and its a perfect 50/50 balance. Now stock the SC weighs 3860lbs with a full tank of gas without me in it. This car weighed in at 3200lbs race weight with driver so I am thinking with the 460 in it the totall weight will go up a few hundred pounds probably. Plus the fuel cell that was put in is behind the rear wheels so that should keep the rear planted somewhat.

Guys you seem to have forgotten the SC handles nothing like a mustang. For my first two years autocrossing I raced my 35th anny SC with a race weight of 4000lbs and would finish in the top three at every event I would particapate with the car and its got 196k miles on the suspenssion. I can keep up with my buddy's Cobra, beat GTOs, Mach1s, hang with Z06s. I ran on 225/50/16 Hoosier autocross compound tires that I baught 3 years old used and they had half their life left in them. It was a blast running it and only making 219rwhp and 337rwtq but it lacked upper end power. Now I have a different car and an entirely different engine combo. I think it will be rough around the edges at first but mid season I think it will come to.

Shane

Shane Glynn
Glynn Motorsports

Last edited by quick35th; 10-03-2005 at 11:40 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-04-2005, 10:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Sounds like a lot of fun to me. You shouldn't be much worse off than any 4v or iron block mod-motored car.

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
Sponsored Links
Advertisement