Tokico Illumina vs. D-spec - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Tokico Illumina vs. D-spec

So I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Illuminas when a vendor selling D-specs steps in telling me the D-spec coilover setup is much better than the Illuminas. Now I've never heard any of the experts here mention D-specs as a viable coilover solution. Any feedback on the whole Illumina vs D-spec would be greatly appreciated.

Illumina: $425 + no shipping
D-Spec: $525 + $20 shipping

PS: the seller told me camber/caster plates are not required... ?

LINK: D-SPEC

Thanks in Advance!

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by blacksnake305; 09-28-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 09:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
If I am reading that correctly the D-Specs come with springs, the illuminas do not. Seeing as how you have a very heavy convertible you better find out what the spring rates are. Do they have a listing for IRS cars?
Also, if I remember correctly the D-Specs have a wider adjusting range then the Illuminas. You probably dont see much on here because they are a new product.

Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

93 Calypso Green LX
5 lug swap with 13" Baers and 10th Ann. Cobras, 96+ spindles and 11.65" Cobra brakes with stock Fox Axles
Front Coilovers and rear MM adjustables
Built 306 - AFR, FTI Cam, RPMII, ect.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 09:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I read an article in Muscle Mustangs & fast fords that tested the d-specs on a stock 99gt. With the help of new rubber, 265/ 40 zr18s BFGoodwrich and the new D-spec shocks and new springs it lowered the lap times of the car by 3 seconds around a 1.3 mile course. That time was only a few tenths of a second slower than the saleen s281, that model has 140 more hp. So they are great the article couldnt say enough about it, they even thought they could get better times if the tack wasnt as damp as it was on the final test day. http://musclemustangfastfords.com/te..._0510_tokicos/ thats the website that has the article on it if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduke
If I am reading that correctly the D-Specs come with springs, the illuminas do not. Seeing as how you have a very heavy convertible you better find out what the spring rates are. Do they have a listing for IRS cars?
Also, if I remember correctly the D-Specs have a wider adjusting range then the Illuminas. You probably dont see much on here because they are a new product.
I have a solid axle now. Even w/ road racing my TQ/HP figures made the IRS useless and I had already put too much money into the IRS AND NOTHING HELPED. As for having a 'heavy vert', both the Illumina & D-spec have good adjustability and should compensate for the modest additional weight.
I believe a stock cobra coupe weighed in @3450 and the vert @3580. I have since lost @155lbs via the following:

IRS: -90
power seat: -20
dynabatt: -20
exhaust: -25

...I think the pig vert weighs in around 3425lbs. I'm sure either solution should work.

PS: this is a car that will see RR about 2 times a year and DR 2-3 times a year. Mostly a street car...

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblack_01stang
I read an article in Muscle Mustangs & fast fords that tested the d-specs on a stock 99gt. With the help of new rubber, 265/ 40 zr18s BFGoodwrich and the new D-spec shocks and new springs it lowered the lap times of the car by 3 seconds around a 1.3 mile course. That time was only a few tenths of a second slower than the saleen s281, that model has 140 more hp. So they are great the article couldnt say enough about it, they even thought they could get better times if the tack wasnt as damp as it was on the final test day. http://musclemustangfastfords.com/te..._0510_tokicos/ thats the website that has the article on it if you are interested.
I bet most of the 3 second drop was from the tire swap, 225/55-16 all seasons to 265/40-18 KDs is a HUGE difference.

Blacksnake....I brought up the weight of your car because of the springs, not the shocks.

Rick

93 Calypso Green LX
5 lug swap with 13" Baers and 10th Ann. Cobras, 96+ spindles and 11.65" Cobra brakes with stock Fox Axles
Front Coilovers and rear MM adjustables
Built 306 - AFR, FTI Cam, RPMII, ect.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM

The kit you are buying for $525 doesn't include springs. The need for C/C Plates is not a function of what struts you are running, it's a function of your ride height and how good your body's tolerances are. So if you don't need or have C/C plates now, there's no reason why a simple strut swap would require them. You WILL need an alignment though . . . the alignment shop will tell you if they can't get the alignment back in spec, and if that's the case, you'll need C/C plates.

2005 GT Open Track Car - Steeda suspension and Stoptech's
1998 GT Open Track Car - Steeda 5-link and Brembo's
1999 Silverado - Tow Vehicle
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - Big, Black 19" Wheels
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
The problem I see is that as you adjust the shocks both the compression and rebound change in the same direction. With performance springs you generally need softer compression damping and firmer rebound damping to properly control the spring. To get that you need separate compression and rebound adjusters.

I would recommned just buying a non-adjustable damper that is properly valved for the springs you intend to run. You can probably get custom valved Bilsteins for not too much more than the Tokicos and they are a much higher quality product. The draw back there is that the coil over kit for the Bilsteins will most likely be more expensive.

As for C/C plates I would never go to aftermarket suspension without them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement