Sway Bar Question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
Sway Bar Question

I am thinking about getting some steeda front and rear sway bars. Will buying these make much of a difference in my handling?

94 SVT Cobra (rio red)- 408/T56 476rwhp 451rwtq

89 Notchback (sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 07:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89cobranotch
I am thinking about getting some steeda front and rear sway bars. Will buying these make much of a difference in my handling?
Not nearly as much as a good set of struts/shocks and springs. Generally you want to get your spring then damping rates set first, then use sway bar rates to fine tune your handling characteristics. Intended use will also come into play as well. FWIW you can probably do as well using some take-off swar bars from different year cars to fine tune once you get the other stuff done.
Here is a good place to start on your handling modifications.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 07:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Yes.

No.

Maybe.

What's on the car now (size, i.e., diameter, matters)? What is the intended purpose of the car? What handling defect are you trying to correct?

Or, try a search.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I have the stock swaybars on now. I would like to get rid of some understeer. I already have eiback springs and tokico shocks/struts. I have that website bookmarked and look at it often. I plan on autocrossing the car and some roadracing but the car is mostly street driven.

89 Notchback (sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 04:36 PM

Do you have C/C plates? What are your alignment specs?

As said above, sway bars should be one of the last things to change to fine tune the car. Personally I would look at other options to increase front grip at this point.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I do have c/c plates, they came on the car when I bought it a month ago. I have no idea what brand they are though. I was actually thinking about replacing the rear sway bar first with the steeda heavy duty one but I was thinking it would throw off the handling of the car if I do the rear one and not the front.

By the way, nice stang Oktavius!

89 Notchback (sold)
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89cobranotch
I have the stock swaybars on now. I would like to get rid of some understeer. I already have eiback springs and tokico shocks/struts. I plan on autocrossing the car and some roadracing but the car is mostly street driven.

FYI springs are generally rated in #/". What are your Eibachs? I suspect the fronts, e.g., are less than 800#/" which would be in the area of a dual purpose front spring. Rears need to be balanced to the front and that depends on rear suspension changes among other things.

As a bandaid for understeer, a bigger diameter rear bar (or a smaller front one) will help balance the car, as will stronger rear springs; so will running wider wheels and tires in the front for that matter.

Balance is a good thing.

But, there are many considerations, especially with Mustangs, that need to be addressed to actually achieve good handling. For example, rear suspension bind, roll centers (especially if lowered), camber and camber curve (see lowered), body roll, bump steer, Ackerman, and more.

Find a copy of Mathis' Mustang Performance Book 2 and read it a few times. It's a little out of date, but will help you understand a lot of what you will need to know in order to make informed decisions.

Edit to add: If the understeer is on corner entry, more camber (up to 3 1/2*), and some toe out (up to 1/4") will help. It won't help tire wear though, especially the toe out.

Of course, there's always driver error - entering corners too hot = understeer. But I'm sure you wouldn't do that.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA

Last edited by rfloz; 09-28-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement