spindle delima.. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
k_h

Trader Feedback: (0)
spindle delima..

Ok, so I've done a lot of research not only on this website but corner-carvers as well. I have a set of 95 Gt spindles and 03 Cobra spindles that will go on an 91 LX 5.0. I have Mach1 springs (that will be cut 1/4 coil so it's at Bullitt static height, Mach1's are a tad taller but same spring rate) that will go on whenever I find some Bullitt tokicos shocks and struts. I know the 03 will push my front track width 8mm on either side which isn't much but provides better ackerman. It's also better to use the 96+ spindles on aftermarket k-members which I plan on doing down the line. I also know what wheel selection I can use for either setup so don't flame about that. So far I'm really leaning towards the 03 spindles but then I would have to sell/trade the stock length axles I just got.. opinions? ideas?

thanks..

Keith

1991 LX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 01:38 PM

I was always told the 94-95 Spindles are the best.. if you go with the 03's i will buy your 95's

93 Titanium Silver Notch
Tremec 3550 | 13" 5 lug conversion
My Car

For all of your brake swap questions.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
k_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiesel
I was always told the 94-95 Spindles are the best.. if you go with the 03's i will buy your 95's

Well depends, 94/95 is good for keeping your front end to foxbody stock width. 96+ gives better steering geometry.

I guess what I need to see is how the front sits with 96+ spindles.

So does anyone have pics showing their front set up with wheels after installing 96+ spindles? I've done a search but I didn't come across any showing a view of where the tire sits in relation to the fender.

DD- I'll keep you informed about my situation on which setup I'll be using.

Keith

1991 LX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Why wouldn't you be able to use 96+ spindles with a stock track width in the rear?

Fox track width in the rear helps with understeer (as opposed to the increased width of SN95 axles).

Youare only talking about an 8mm difference that I doubt you or anyone else will notice.

If you have both already use the '03 and sell those SN95's.

Last edited by 92MNstanger; 09-27-2005 at 02:07 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
k_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92MNstanger
Why wouldn'y you be able to use 96+ spindles with a stock track width in the rear?

Fox track width in the rear helps with understeer (as opposed to the increased width of SN95 axles).

Youare only talking about an 8mm difference that I doubt you or anyone else will notice.

If you have both already use the '03 and sell those SN95's.
I didn't say you couldn't. I guess I could use a offset wheel combination so you wouldn't be able to tell...

Keith

1991 LX

post #6 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
The biggest thing is- If you use SN95 axles on the rear of a fox you'll be stuck with 8 inch wide wheels. I wouldn't want to limit myself as our cars need lots of tire.

true there may be some 17x9's that would work with the sn95 axles, they are harder to find and more expensive than regular 17x9's
post #7 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
k_h

Yeah most likely I'll stick with the stock width back there since I don't want to limit myself to an 8" wide rim size.

I just want to see those that have used 96+ spindles as far as fender tire relation.

Keith

1991 LX

post #8 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 03:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
If you want to run 9" wheels you need to use the 94/5 spindles, there is NO WAY I could run 03 spindles with my 10ths unless I did something like drudis did. If you want to use 8" wheels could use either set put should plan on 94+ axles, I hated how my 98 Cobras looked with stock axles.
If you can find a nice set of wheels with 8" in the fronts and 9" in the back definately go with the 03 spindles for the better ackerman.

Rick

93 Calypso Green LX
5 lug swap with 13" Baers and 10th Ann. Cobras, 96+ spindles and 11.65" Cobra brakes with stock Fox Axles
Front Coilovers and rear MM adjustables
Built 306 - AFR, FTI Cam, RPMII, ect.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
k_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduke
If you want to run 9" wheels you need to use the 94/5 spindles, there is NO WAY I could run 03 spindles with my 10ths unless I did something like drudis did. If you want to use 8" wheels could use either set put should plan on 94+ axles, I hated how my 98 Cobras looked with stock axles.
If you can find a nice set of wheels with 8" in the fronts and 9" in the back definately go with the 03 spindles for the better ackerman.
That's exactly what I was thinking and true better ackerman...problem being find a mixed set of rims..8" front and 9" rear.. I'll have to see what places will sell mixed sets..

Keith

1991 LX

post #10 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Start with one variable of the formula at a time, not both...
x = wheel width and offset
y = spindle

Choice#1:Set a wheel/tire you wish to use on there and test-fit. From there you can tell what offset you will need.
(If you still have the 4-lug on there, possibly remove all the studs to be able to set a 5-lug wheel/tire on a 4-bolt spindle. )

OR
Choice #2: Put a spindle on there, and maximize the wheel/tire you can fit.

I did choice #1 on my Zephyr, and had a hard time finding wheels.

I did choice #2 on my Mustang, and pushed fenders out to fit.

You can do it with graph paper, and draw offsets and wheel/tire profiles to scale, and put them in wheelwell... Been there, done that. Its an agonizing decision before you blow $$$ on wheels/tires. Measure twice, then order parts.

Darius Rudis

1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #11 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
k_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudis
Start with one variable of the formula at a time, not both...
x = wheel width and offset
y = spindle

Choice#1:Set a wheel/tire you wish to use on there and test-fit. From there you can tell what offset you will need.
(If you still have the 4-lug on there, possibly remove all the studs to be able to set a 5-lug wheel/tire on a 4-bolt spindle. )

OR
Choice #2: Put a spindle on there, and maximize the wheel/tire you can fit.

I did choice #1 on my Zephyr, and had a hard time finding wheels.

I did choice #2 on my Mustang, and pushed fenders out to fit.

You can do it with graph paper, and draw offsets and wheel/tire profiles to scale, and put them in wheelwell... Been there, done that. Its an agonizing decision before you blow $$$ on wheels/tires. Measure twice, then order parts.
I'd like to do choice #2 but being that it's a daily driver, I can't afford down time except on weekends.. I undserstand completely what you're saying though. The rear I will stay with fox width axles so I may go to a larger rim size. The front I would like to run the 03 spindles but know I'm limited to 8" width rims. I've read a lot in which 96+ are better if using an aftermarket k-member like you have which I would like to do down the line. So should I just stick with the 03 cobra spindles since I know I will end up putting on an aftermarket k-member or throw the 95's on and wait till I actually do the k-member swap to put on the 03's?

Keith

1991 LX

post #12 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 04:39 PM

Do the spindles right the first time. IMOHO, 8mm isnt that much, you can roll your fender lip that much without noticing.

I know you understand what you are looking for, and researcded and did your homework on this subject. My point (note above) is that it is a big dilema, and you'll have to just decide, then make whatever you choose work.
Good luck.

Darius Rudis

1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #13 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 05:59 PM

Fox dimensions vary widely, but here is an 89 (mine) with 96+ spindles and stock length Fox axles with North Cobra caliper brackets. The wheels are 17x9 R50's on all four corners and the tires are 245/45-17 Kuhmo MX's:

I'm running MM coilovers and CC plates, stock K and A-arms and as you can see, they fit under the wheelwells just fine. I do experience some rubbing on the plastic fender liner at high corner speeds.

Edit to add: I do have delrin bushings in the A-arms that offest them forward about .25" and Steeda X-2 balljoints. The offset bushings contribute to the rubbing as I get it on the front of the liner.

Last edited by OutaFocus; 09-27-2005 at 06:45 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_h
That's exactly what I was thinking and true better ackerman...problem being find a mixed set of rims..8" front and 9" rear.. I'll have to see what places will sell mixed sets..
You could run Cobra R58's up front and Cobra R M179's in the rear with SN95 length axles

R58's:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=281

M179's:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=286
post #15 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
k_h

Thanks for the pics outafocus, looks good. I'm going to go that route also on the rear with the North Cobra caliper brackets.

Keith

1991 LX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement