A little bit of external footage from last auto-x event - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
A little bit of external footage from last auto-x event

One of the other competitors was nice enough to splice together a few of my runs from two weekends ago. I'm not sure exactly how big the file is, but I would imagine this deserves a DUW: http://media.putfile.com/s220050918patrick . I easily won EM (not much competition) and took 8th overall. It's only the 2nd or 3rd time I've run the Mustang (normally my Subaru is the auto-x whipping boy) in the past year or so, I'm still re-learning how to drive the car with all the suspension work that's been done over the past couple/few years.

I'm just about done gathering parts for my ABS install, which will also include (I think) an upgrade from a 15/16" to 1" master cylinder to improve pedal feel. As it is, it's just too damn easy to lock the brakes, and there's too little feedback in the pedal to let me know I'm getting close. You can tell in the 2nd run how much more cautiously I approached the same element where I locked them up big time on the 1st run. That over-cautious braking is definitely costing me some time.

We're running again this weekend, hopefully I'll have some in-car footage to post up.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 08:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
i like the course worker running for cover!

that's a mean-looking car

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 12:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Nice! I miss autocross. Our site was on old Naval airfield. They were going to use it again but after hurricane Ivan it just became a dump for debris. There is talk of it being cleaned where we can use some of it, but I dont know. I am working right now to get the car back into shape and maybe attend some open track events next year.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Patrick,

For what it's worth, I think your braking point is way too late in both instances where you lock the wheels. You might still have braking feel issues, but I think you are highlighting them by driving too deep into the corner.

Obviously IMO,

DaveW
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

That could be part of it, but I honestly feel that it's just the utter lack of pedal feel that's doing me in. I was able to negotiate each gate even with locking the brakes (obviously not the best way to slow down), so that would indicate to me that my braking points weren't too far out to lunch.

Pat
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Pat,

It just looks to me that you are locking the wheels up about where I would be getting off the brake and feeding in power...obviously just an opinion, maybe not even a good one.

I'm guessing in addition to the pedal feel issue, you could use a ton more rear brake since your suspension works so well. I was amazed how much rear bias I could put in my car as I fixed various suspension issues.

DaveW
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Good thought, I haven't fiddled with the rear bias in a long while. I'll play with that for this weekend's event.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement