Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustables: Drag & RR? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustables: Drag & RR?

Hey all. I'm real close to picking up some Illuminas for the vert and am wondering if they will work well for Drag racing as well as road racing. I'll be at smackdown in a few weeks and was hoping a setting of "1" would be good for drag racing. And "5" would be the setting for the Road Courses. I like both variants of our sport and plan to do both till i croak. LOL. Is this a good way to go?

blacksnake305

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I've got the 5 way street shock, not the drag. There is also a drag version, or at least there used to be.

On the street one, I run 3-2 or 3-3 Front/rear, with stock springs. 5 is extremely stiff and I can't imagine using it on the street. The shock becomes stiffer than the springs. At any rate, 1 on the fronts is weaker than stock, but not as weak as a drag shock.

The Drag Illuma offers 1-3 drag, and 4/5 are more close to stock. Whereas the Street/standard version 1 is slightly weaker than stock 4/5 are stronger than stock.

Hope this helps.

(89 Hatch, Paxton blown, 50K orig mi.) 04 Redfire Cobra, #187 ('09 GT500 VistaBlue)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-26-2005, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblgjr
I've got the 5 way street shock, not the drag. There is also a drag version, or at least there used to be.

On the street one, I run 3-2 or 3-3 Front/rear, with stock springs. 5 is extremely stiff and I can't imagine using it on the street. The shock becomes stiffer than the springs. At any rate, 1 on the fronts is weaker than stock, but not as weak as a drag shock.

The Drag Illuma offers 1-3 drag, and 4/5 are more close to stock. Whereas the Street/standard version 1 is slightly weaker than stock 4/5 are stronger than stock.

Hope this helps.
R U saying that setting of 1 will produce more weight transferrance to the rear wheels in a drag race? I pretty sure a '5' setting will be competent on a road course...

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I run the 5-ways too but don't do much drag racing. I ASSume the softest setting on the rear would be best for drag racing.

What I do on road courses depends on what course I'm on. I always run the stiffest setting (5) on the rear but the front setting varies.

At a place like Roebling Road which is all long, sweeping, fast turns, I run the fronts at about 1 or 2 to try to get a little more bite up front and minimize the understeer. I turned my fastest lap there with the fronts on 1.

At a tight track like Little Talladega, I set the fronts stiffer for more responsive handling. I turned my fastest lap there with the fronts set to 4.

At a complex track like CMP, I found the middle setting (3) was best up front because it was responsive in the slow corners like 12, 13 and 14 without pushing like a pig through the fast ones like the carousel and 8.

Just my opinion based on my experience with them.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsons
I run the 5-ways too but don't do much drag racing. I ASSume the softest setting on the rear would be best for drag racing.

What I do on road courses depends on what course I'm on. I always run the stiffest setting (5) on the rear but the front setting varies.

At a place like Roebling Road which is all long, sweeping, fast turns, I run the fronts at about 1 or 2 to try to get a little more bite up front and minimize the understeer. I turned my fastest lap there with the fronts on 1.

At a tight track like Little Talladega, I set the fronts stiffer for more responsive handling. I turned my fastest lap there with the fronts set to 4.

At a complex track like CMP, I found the middle setting (3) was best up front because it was responsive in the slow corners like 12, 13 and 14 without pushing like a pig through the fast ones like the carousel and 8.

Just my opinion based on my experience with them.
good feedback. My primary reason is for upgrading, but I still want to 'drag' on occassion... Someone else in the DOHC forum recommended the D-spec coilovers instead. Any thoughts?

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
post #6 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 04:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
the weakest setting on the rear is not good for drag racing. you want the rear of the car relativly stiff so your tires get the power unstead of the suspension absorbing it. in the front, you want them lose. you wnat the front end of the car to lift just enough to get enough weight on the back so you dont spin. about 3 in the back and 2-1 is what i think i herd people were running them at, some stiffer and so on but loser in the frontalways.

302w/ edelbrock Performer Intake, and 600 carb
complete fuel and ignition
bbk shorties , o/r h and cherry bombs (dumped)
Built C6, with 71 SCJ convertor
post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I was trying to say that 1 is weak (drag), 5 is hard (road race).

I was also trying to say that they used to offer 2 versions of the Illuma 5 way. One is a "drag" version, while the other is a "street".

Hope that makes sense.

(89 Hatch, Paxton blown, 50K orig mi.) 04 Redfire Cobra, #187 ('09 GT500 VistaBlue)
post #8 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
^.. And the drag version provides more fine tuning of 1-3 for a drag setup.. as where the street 1-3 is at a different rate..greater than that of the drag illum setup.?

- Black '95 GT -
Black '86 GT HB - Sold
Red '89 V8 Coupe - Sold
Yellow '90 V8 LX HB - Sold
post #9 of 9 Old 10-05-2005, 01:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I have the drag Illumina's up front and 5 is about 25% stiffer than stock, and 1 is EXTREMELY soft. Its great because I like drag racing & road racing, so they do a decent job of both.

N/A 347 Pump gas - 411rwhp/395rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement