Rearend side-step - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Rearend side-step

How to tune the suspension to get rid of or minimize the rearend from twitching sideways after cresting bumps in the road? I think it's rear steer after the rear suspension has compressed and is extending again but not evenly. Quite unnerving and doesn't inspire confidence on anything but the smoothest roads. I couldn't keep up with a 2001 Cobra on the same road: is the IRS that much better? I'm running 245/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the stock rims and it looked like the 01 had 03/04 sized rims and tires. (The other guy would have had a lot more tramlining?)

I have Koni Yellow DA struts and shocks if it helps to suggest settings. Running 800lb/in specific 2000 Cobra R springs up front and 1995 Cobra R progressive springs out back. MM LCAs are out back too.

Overall I'm probably lacking in total cornering grip too with the A/S tires even though they are good tires: too much void to tread ratio.

Last edited by Cobra97; 09-25-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2005, 12:09 AM

I could keep up with a 2001 Cobra in my 2000 E250 work van on pretty much any road, if we are driving at anything approaching a legal speed. At the risk of sounding self-righteous here, if you were driving your car at the limit on a public road, you need to reconsider your place in society. Attempting to "keep up" with another car is both dangerous and irresponsible, because the danger is not only to yourself, but to anyone naive enough to expect more from other drivers.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

No, the driving was not at the limit nor did I say I was. I'm trying to ask how to make the car better on the street. I was keeping to the speed limit but the car was squirrelly. Just appeared to me that the other guy either had higher limits with his car or he was being careless.

My car will sidestep over crests even at 40mph on a slight bend.

I can only type and describe so much in a thread so read how you want I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2005, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra97
I couldn't keep up with a 2001 Cobra on the same road
As I said, I have yet to see the road that I couldn't safely drive the speed limit on, even in my E250 (and it doesn't have IRS). If your Mustang is that bad, it doesn't need tuning, it needs an overhaul.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2005, 01:48 PM

A panhard bar may help you with this issue.

35th ann. GT-- KB: lowering springs, pan hard, RLCA, strut tower brace, all subs -k girdle, Steeda: HD URCA, Triax, Clutch cable and quad. 3:73s, 31 spline, Superchip, Torsen T2, pullies, Bassani X+ cat back, Tremec 3550, Al DS and Flywheel, D&D HD Clutch, HD TO brg, Removed air silencer, Griggs C/C, Tokico 5 way, 190A alternator, Optima battery relocated, fairly serious custom stereo/ rear seat delete.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM

The poor behavior over bumps in corners is due in large part to the quadrabind rear suspension. The rubber bushings in the rear control arms create binding when the supension is loaded in a corner and add wheel rate, then when you go over a bump it can abruptly unload on you. As Plastic said above, a panhard bar can help this and make the rear more predictable.

'00 Atlantic Blue GT - '03 Cobra swap, TKO600, full MM suspension
'01 Corvette - D1 blown stroker
'85 Mustang GT - bone stock except exhaust
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you blue00gt, finally some helpful advice from a member of the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement