Stupid question - master cylinder bore sizes - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Stupid question - master cylinder bore sizes

I'm thinking about replacing my master cylinder with one that has a slightly larger bore. After installing a larger SN95 booster on my car I've found the pedal is now too light, so I think I want to try a larger bore MC to try to get some pedal feel back. I currently have the "stock" Baer MC, which I'm pretty sure is 15/16". How do I confirm that? Where does one measure the bore size? Do I need to remove the MC to do the measurement, or is the measurement taken on the outside of the body of the master cylinder?

Also, any recommendations on whether I should try a 1" or 1-1/16"? How much of a difference does the change in bore size make when it comes to pedal feel?

Thanks!

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 11:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Patrick,

I don't believe it is possible to figure out the bore size by measuring anything on the outside of the MC. I have no idea how one would measure it.

I would try the 1" bore MC, if I was in your shoes. I have the SN95 1 1/16" bore on my car with the M2300K kit and it is a little stiff. Next time I take my car out of commission for a project, I may swap to the 93 Cobra master cylinder. The 1 1/16" bore works well, but the pedal is just too "short" IMO. I would like to be able to modulate the pedal just a little bit more. I think it would have an overall better feel too.

1993 5.0
post #3 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBlackCoupe
I don't believe it is possible to figure out the bore size by measuring anything on the outside of the MC. I have no idea how one would measure it.
Well, as I said it was a stupid question. The body of the MC is pretty much cylindrical, so I was wondering if the bore size measurement was actually the outer diameter of the MC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBlackCoupe
I would try the 1" bore MC, if I was in your shoes. I have the SN95 1 1/16" bore on my car with the M2300K kit and it is a little stiff. Next time I take my car out of commission for a project, I may swap to the 93 Cobra master cylinder. The 1 1/16" bore works well, but the pedal is just too "short" IMO. I would like to be able to modulate the pedal just a little bit more. I think it would have an overall better feel too.
Cool, thanks for the advice.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I think PPI has the 93 MC for sale at a decent price, at least last time I looked.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

$179.99 - ouch!

Edit: Just searched over at www.rockauto.com and found they have a Wagner part F129290 (1" bore) for $63.79, and a Raybestos part MC390125 (1" bore) for $67.79. Tomorrow I'll try calling the local parts places to see if they carry those and see what the price is, if I can't find one locally then I'll mail order one from Rock Auto. A "genuine Ford part" would be nice, but not for nearly 3x the price!

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 09-26-2005 at 03:42 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 10:22 AM

I guess this is one part where a remanufactured unit just isn't the way to go, huh?

1997 Pacific Green Mustang SVT Cobra
post #7 of 18 Old 09-27-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I don't know if it's new or rebuilt, but I ordered the Raybestos one from rockauto.com this morning. Should have it in a couple days. The Wagner one was special order, and none of the parts places around here (including the dealer) had anything in stock. At Checkers the Raybestos part would have been $105 (+shipping for special order from the mainland, which would take 5 or 6 days). I got it for ~$95 including 2-day UPS. Raybestos is a pretty trustworthy brand, I think, so hopefully this'll work out OK.

Pat
post #8 of 18 Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 PM

Do a search for Master Cylinders. There is a company here on the Corral that sells the 1" bore MC for about $50. I just recently installed it on my 86GT when I upgraded to the 73mm calipers and the quality was good and it fit up with no issues.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Oh well, the Raybestos one showed up yesterday. Coulda saved $17, but I'll survive.

Pat
post #10 of 18 Old 12-04-2005, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Dredging this back up... One thing I discovered upon receiving the '93 Cobra MC is that the outlet ports are different sizes than the Baer 15/16" MC I had. Actually, the ports are the same sizes (same two nuts will work), they're just reversed. One could probably tweak the pigtails (the lines from the MC to the prop valve) to make them work, but I didn't want to risk kinking one, so I ordered some '93 Cobra replacement lines from www.classictube.com - should have them Monday.

Also, I discovered at PPI that there is a cheaper alternative (which may be what stuck86 was referring to). From PPI's site...
Quote:
master cylinder, this is THE master cylinder to use on your 4-wheel disc brake conversions, these are new obsolete Ford D9AZ-2140-A master cylinders with 1" bore as originally used in the Ford Racing -C and -F brake kits, very limited quantity available, new... $49.99/each
Not sure how I missed that one when I looked at their site before, I guess I focused on the '93 Cobra MC (which is listed right below that one). Ah well...

Pat

post #11 of 18 Old 12-04-2005, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
One thing I discovered upon receiving the '93 Cobra MC is that the outlet ports are different sizes than the Baer 15/16" MC I had. Actually, the ports are the same sizes (same two nuts will work), they're just reversed. One could probably tweak the pigtails (the lines from the MC to the prop valve) to make them work, but I didn't want to risk kinking one, so I ordered some '93 Cobra replacement lines from www.classictube.com - should have them Monday.
The Baer MC is the same as the stock 94/95 Cobra MC, right?

Another option is to use a 10mm to 12mm and a 12mm to 10mm adapter. New lines will probably look cleaner and work better though.

I picked up the F3ZZ-2140-A recently for $115. Better than the PPI price but still a little pricey. I am curious to how it will feel compared to the 1 1/16" GT unit I have now. I locked up the brakes a couple of times today at autocross, just because they are so damn touchy right now. I'll probably get the '93 Cobra piece on the car over the holidays.

1993 5.0
post #12 of 18 Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

You know, I was just at NAPA and bought a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter and didn't even think to look for metric adapters too. I think they're only open 'til 2pm on Sunday, so I'll see about catching them tomorrow (assuming the new lines don't show up).

Pat
post #13 of 18 Old 12-05-2005, 09:44 AM

So a couple things in the too little too late department. Weren't 94-95 GT's a 1-inch bore MC? I'm not 100% sure on that but I think so. Also, I have a 15/16 MC on my '87. I put it in when I installed cobra (PBR) brakes up front and now I have the 2000R Brembos. With the stock booster I like the pedal feel. It's firm, but not so stiff that I can't lock them up. That, and I'm way too lazy to change the booster... I ran in to the same problem with the lines. I went to the local auto store and got brass adapters for M10 to 3/8-24 and M12-3/8-24 and then a pair of their shortest pre-fab lines with 3/8-24 on both ends. I bent the lines to fit from the MC to the prop valve, and they look good and work fine.

David

'87 GT Griggs front, EVM 3-link, Brembo/Baer, GT40 heads and intake, panhard, coilovers, Kirk Racing Roll Bar
post #14 of 18 Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

No, the SN95 GTs have a 1-1/16" MC. Somewhere on here is a little table of all the different sizes used over the years, and I copied over to my computer at some point. The SN95 Cobras are 15/16", SN95GTs are 1-1/16", the '93 Cobra and the '95 and '00 Cobra Rs are all 1", and the SVO was 1-1/8". That also jives with the information on Max Motorsports MC upgrade page.

Pat
post #15 of 18 Old 12-08-2005, 01:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Good site for brake questions

http://sn95brakes.cjb.net/
post #16 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 11:31 AM

Warning !!

I am the first to admit that I am not a computer geek, and I am not exactly sure how it happened but....

I clicked on the site above reagrding brakes and tried to get rid of a pop-up that hit my screen. All the sudden this crap starts auto loading and BAM! I have a tool bar above my screen and a BA FRICKIN JILLION pop-up ads.

To make it worse, this was a work computer ( Mobile Data Terminal ) and the ads found their way onto my work screen. The site above was the ONLY other site I went to beside Corral, and I've never haad issues with Corral. Also, this computer is as "clean" as can be.

Can anybody confirm the site above is bogus, or at least is a gateway to this pop-up hell ??

Mark - 1992 Coupe MM Cone Harvester
"Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware" - Thanks, Neil
Google - "Mecha" read "Plan De Aztlan" - Prepare for blood to boil
post #17 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 PM

Garage
Use: http://www.sn95brakes.com/

The .net site posted above does have adaware and spyware crap.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 PM

Thanks

Thanks for confirming that....I didnt wanna go anywhere near it after that. It created "issues" for me that night. Aggravating.

Mark - 1992 Coupe MM Cone Harvester
"Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware" - Thanks, Neil
Google - "Mecha" read "Plan De Aztlan" - Prepare for blood to boil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement