What to buy first?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-16-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thumbs up What to buy first??

So far i've got my car to go fast KB supercharger (389/399) and stop fast '00 Cobra R brakes, but my suspension is still stock. I think i'm going with all MM parts, but cant afford the maximum grip package so i figure i'll do it in stages of about $2000. What should i do first? MM panhard par and subframes sway bars? Coil overs? HD TQ arm, lower arms? I'm probably going to get them installed because i dont have a lift or a welder, but i put in the SC without any previous motor work with no problems and did the brakes too. What will make the most difference?? I was leaning to the coil overs but wanted to see what the pros say.
Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-16-2005, 02:01 PM

What to buy first? TRACK TIME!!! The most important piece of equipement handling wise is experience and knowledge. There is only one way of getting that and that is going out there and seeking driving instruction and experience. That being said, we are all still mod crazy and it is hard not to mod our cars.

I say get the MM Coil-over package w/Bilsteins and the Chassis Package to start out with. This will be a nice compliment to increase ride quality as well as handling. All of this except the subframe connectors would be an easy home install. After this I would look at the Rear Grip or Torque Arm package.

I was going to say go with the Road and Track package but that includes conventional springs. After having coil-overs I have realized that this should of been my first move instead of getting the H&R Race springs.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 09-16-2005, 04:05 PM

Slowly take your hand away from the credit card and put the whole wallet back in your pocket.
Good.
Now find out when the next autox/open track/SCCA or NASA drivers school/SVTOA event in your area and sign up! Getting seat time will make you a better driver and help you understand what your car needs. You will also be able to pick the brains of mustang drivers that are driving their cars fast and hard, not just posting on the internet.
(BTW thats exactly the opposite of what I did)

#26 ITE
2005 KCR SCCA ROTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-16-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I've been to the track twice (SOLO at Qualcom) before i put in the SC. I had a good time and i beat my buddy in his WRX (stock) but still got beat by the tricked out miatas. I want my car to handle when i go to the track for the next race. My car suspension is totally stock and not capable of handling the power i have now. Trust me i know track time is essential and will improve my times, but it will be way more fun if my car is not sliding all over the place with lots of body roll. Right now i'm looking for high Gs vs. low times. So far i'm still leaning towards the coil overs like Oktavius says, and my friends recommend. I also want my car to hit on and off ramps like its on rails. I love getting stuck to my seat with Gs.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-16-2005, 10:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Since you're in San Diego, DPR can get you the parts and do the install. Shawn and Greg have done ALL of the work on my car. Last week they did my roll bar and T-56.

You could start off w/ subframes, PHB, shocks/struts/springs and some CC plates.

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #6 of 13 Old 09-16-2005, 11:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
SUBFRAMES FIRST always!

I can't stress how important subframes are to the rest of the suspension and longevity of the chassis.

You need to keep your chassis from flexing and twisting before any suspension mods (no matter how much you spend) can do their jobs properly.

Anything you can do to stiffen the chassis (subs, strut tower, shock tower, etc..) will make it handle better. Even with the stock suspension.

'06 BMW Z4M Roadster.
'93 Cobra. '95 Cobra. '88 ASC McLaren.
'07 Kawasaki Z1000.
Formerly of- Saleen, Brothers Performance, BBK, & AGENT 47.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 PM

As said above, first sub frames. I would say sway bars and cc plates next. save the money untill you can afford coil overs. I love my setup but wish I would have waited.

97 cobra. Illumina s&s, sportline springs, steeda: cc, subs,front and rear sway bars, lca. 3550 trans, 4.10, aluminum ds.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-2005, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97whitesvt
As said above, first sub frames. I would say sway bars and cc plates next. save the money untill you can afford coil overs. I love my setup but wish I would have waited.
IMHO, I do not agree about the sway bars. Sway bars should be one of the later things to change as they are more to tune out tendencies. After installing coil-overs in the front, I am now looking for a lighter swaybar than my stock one as I feel the stock one is too stiff right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP

post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger_Matt
Since you're in San Diego, DPR can get you the parts and do the install. Shawn and Greg have done ALL of the work on my car. Last week they did my roll bar and T-56.

You could start off w/ subframes, PHB, shocks/struts/springs and some CC plates.
DO these guys do good work? I thought JBA was the only mustang shop in SD but it looks like they are pretty big.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-22-2005, 01:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm
DO these guys do good work? I thought JBA was the only mustang shop in SD but it looks like they are pretty big.

Greg and Shawn are from JBA. They started their own shop in April. 619 282-4377. Their rates are cheaper than JBA. 60 an hour vs 90. They did a lot of work on my car while they were still @ JBA. Stop by for a visit if you have time. They're more than happy to BS about Mustangs and what you'd like to do to your car

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #11 of 13 Old 10-07-2005, 10:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Subframes then the torque arm and panhard bar. You'll feel the difference the torque arm and panhard bar make in 50% on the on road driving conditions, so its a great mod even if you never make it to the track. You can probably find someone to come out to your house and finish the welding part.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-08-2005, 03:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Forget all that, a nice used Griggs Kmember is what you want. wink wink

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #13 of 13 Old 10-08-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrew
Forget all that, a nice used Griggs Kmember is what you want. wink wink
Yeah, with just a torque arm suspension in the rear, you will have a lot of push without anything else in the front. A Griggs Kmember should help with front end grip. I think someone on this board is selling one...

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement