1995 Spindles, stock springs and shocks, WTF?! Am I missing something? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-14-2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member
 
1993gt40's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 177
1995 Spindles, stock springs and shocks, WTF?! Am I missing something?

Scroll down for Pic.

I have stock springs and nice Tokico shocks for a fox body. I have the spring compressed as much as I can as the weight of the car is on it. (Lifted off the jackstand on the frame a bit) There is NO way I am going to be able to bolt this spindle to that shock! Do I HAVE to run lowering springs to do the front Cobra disc conversion?




A few cars, a few boats. The line up seems to change more than my signature.
1993gt40 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 PM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Put the jack (securely!) under the balljoint or outer lip of the A-arm, which gives it more leverage against the arm and not the whole car. It'll still come up off the stand but it'll lift the arm more than it'll lift off the stands. And if it gets too bad put another jack under the opposite arm and raise it, which will rock the body back down against the arm you're trying to raise.

MFE is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 107
Do you have the .0330 spacer between the spindle and the ball joint. Just asking I don't think its related to your problem, But it may.
JOEPY50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member
 
1993gt40's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 177
Does the spacer go under the spindle or above the spindle? As I understand it goes above the spindle. I could be wrong.

A few cars, a few boats. The line up seems to change more than my signature.
1993gt40 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Registered User
 
Oktavius's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993gt40
Does the spacer go under the spindle or above the spindle? As I understand it goes above the spindle. I could be wrong.
It does go above so that the cotter pin engages the castle nut.

Another trick for your situation, undo the top of the strut. Then connect the strut to the spindle. Get the top of the strut in the caster/camber plate hole. When you lower the car, the strut shaft will go up. Bolt the strut shaft up and you are done.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Oktavius is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Registered User
 
Wangstang's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Triangle Area, NC, USA
Posts: 571
Have fun getting the nut on the ball joint once you have the strut in place. Getting that damn arm back up when I did my five lug conversion was probably the most physical strugle I have ever had while working on a car. I used the bullitt Tokico struts on my fox and it was all I could do to get an open end wrench on the nut and turn it down far enough that I could lightly tap a socket with extension down over the nut. I was using Steeda X2 ball joints to avoid the need to add the spacer in and to keep bump steer in the limits of the stock parts I was using. They use metal locking nuts and caused the ball joint stud to spin. I kept the stud from spinning by grabing it with a set of large hex vice grips. They did not leave a mark and got the job done.

Wes

1990 red GT 1966 289 coupe 1984 GT350 20th Anniversary Convertable 2006 V6 Coupe
Wangstang is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Registered User
 
Oktavius's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangstang
Have fun getting the nut on the ball joint once you have the strut in place. Getting that damn arm back up when I did my five lug conversion was probably the most physical strugle I have ever had while working on a car. I used the bullitt Tokico struts on my fox and it was all I could do to get an open end wrench on the nut and turn it down far enough that I could lightly tap a socket with extension down over the nut. I was using Steeda X2 ball joints to avoid the need to add the spacer in and to keep bump steer in the limits of the stock parts I was using. They use metal locking nuts and caused the ball joint stud to spin. I kept the stud from spinning by grabing it with a set of large hex vice grips. They did not leave a mark and got the job done.

Wes
I too now have the X2 balljoints. I used an impact gun and the nut when right down.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Oktavius is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered User
 
Wangstang's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Triangle Area, NC, USA
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius
I too now have the X2 balljoints. I used an impact gun and the nut when right down.
With the bullitt struts and springs with 94-95 spindles and X2's there was no room to fit a socket on the nut. None, Nada, Zilch. Atleast until I already had the nut threaded on a good ways. An impact probably would get the nut on down but seeing as I could not get a socket on it, I could not overcome the small level of friction it took to turn the ball joint in the socket in relation to the friction of the nut on the ball joint stud (it's locking).

Had I been using the wider track 96+ units (I had a set of 03's on hand), I would have had more room and probably could have used an impact.

Wes

On Edit: You do realize though that said ball joint nut is suppose to be tq'ed to 90 lb/ft or so right? Not tighted down until the impact can't give it any more loving.

1990 red GT 1966 289 coupe 1984 GT350 20th Anniversary Convertable 2006 V6 Coupe
Wangstang is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered User
 
Oktavius's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangstang
With the bullitt struts and springs with 94-95 spindles and X2's there was no room to fit a socket on the nut. None, Nada, Zilch. Atleast until I already had the nut threaded on a good ways. An impact probably would get the nut on down but seeing as I could not get a socket on it, I could not overcome the small level of friction it took to turn the ball joint in the socket in relation to the friction of the nut on the ball joint stud (it's locking).

Had I been using the wider track 96+ units (I had a set of 03's on hand), I would have had more room and probably could have used an impact.

Wes

On Edit: You do realize though that said ball joint nut is suppose to be tq'ed to 90 lb/ft or so right? Not tighted down until the impact can't give it any more loving.
I use the '96+ spindles.

On Edit: Yes, I did/do realize that they are supposed to be torqued. Technically everything should be torqued. I only used the impact gun to get the nut down to the spindle. When the nut made contact with the spindle the balljoint would not spin when using the torque wrench. Normal torquing proceeded.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Oktavius is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome