Soild Trans Cross member bushings?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-13-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Soild Trans Cross member bushings??

Where can I order these online? I had a link for a site, and now that I need them I've lost it. Please post back ASAP! I need these pieces like yesterday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-13-2005, 09:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=400105+300034

Summit has them.....

Edit:

Oops....not transmission mount.....

Edit again:

There aren't bushings on the crossmember itself. Are there?

XBL - ReefBlue

Built on 8-18-1993 exterior-PD, interior-D6. 1 of 1,316.

Last edited by ReefBlue; 09-13-2005 at 09:52 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM

There are bushings in the crossmember ends. I haven't seen any solid inserts though. I know there are poly bushings though, I actually have a new set sitting around for a fox crossmember. On my car there is a solid mount though as it was built by D&D Performance with out bushings for my T56 conversion.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
HPM sold a tremec mount that looks very sturdy, check your trans crossmember mounts at the body. I had one on my '88 that when I removed the rubber pushings the entire mount crumbled to the floor. It rusted through, the only thing holding together was the rubber bushings.

When I purchased my solid engine mounts I was told to use a urethane trans mount. I can't remember why, I believe it was to do with twisting but I am not sure. I have a eurathane trans mount and eurathane end bushings. I also mig welded flat stock across trans mount at both ends to beef it up structurly.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #5 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Not trans mount. the Cross member that holds the trans in the car

They do make them. Chassis Enginering makes them, but you can't order from there website only there dealers.. I had a site with them on it, I just can't find it. Mine also has rusted through, but I just bought one on ebay for $10. And I want these Solid ones to help tie in everything nice and tight. I'll run Poly's on the Trans itself, and most likely solids on the engine. Once I get the solid one's, and there installed, all the seams will be welded on the Cross member itself, and to the frame to help support the extra stress.

I know of someone who did this, with bushings he made himself on a lathe, and he said it made a big differance in the way the car felt both handling, and the feeling through the shifter.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 11:17 AM

And these solid bushing? are they alumium or? and what about soild trans mounts?
post #7 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Fits: 1979-93 Mustangs.

The solid aluminum bushings act as a chassis stiffening device, helping to increase E.T. consistency
They replace rubber bushings in factory crossmember
No modifications or welding required

These are the one's on the Chassis Enginering site. I'd use these along with a Poly trans mount.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Summit Racing has them for 27.88, expected shipping date is 10/04/05, search for part # CEE-3610
Thanks for the info on these, I have been looking for something like this for my race car. I was going to just use the Poly ones since I'm too lazy to machine myself a set from aluminum or steel.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

lol your welcome.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-15-2005, 12:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid10Notch
Not trans mount. the Cross member that holds the trans in the car
Excuse me, I read "Solid trans cross member bushings". Which also sounds like an after market trans mount with eurathane bushings. Why not say "Wanted: Solid bushings for cross member". But the thing is their are two different bushings mounted on the crossmember: The trans mount and the cross member bushings. Sorry I couldn't read your mind and if I see any of your other post I will just ignore it.

Personally I think its a big mistake to run a solid trans mount and solid cross member mount on a flexy stamped sheetmetal crossmember. I think you would be better off buying the HPM unit and modifying to work with a T5 it eleminates the cross member bushings by just installing a bolt through it.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #11 of 14 Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrew
Excuse me, I read "Solid trans cross member bushings". Which also sounds like an after market trans mount with eurathane bushings. Why not say "Wanted: Solid bushings for cross member". But the thing is their are two different bushings mounted on the crossmember: The trans mount and the cross member bushings. Sorry I couldn't read your mind and if I see any of your other post I will just ignore it.

Personally I think its a big mistake to run a solid trans mount and solid cross member mount on a flexy stamped sheetmetal crossmember. I think you would be better off buying the HPM unit and modifying to work with a T5 it eleminates the cross member bushings by just installing a bolt through it.

Read my mind? Didn't have to, it say's it in the topic, CROSSMEMBER bushings....

And if ya read it right, it say's nothing about a solid trans mount, just the bushings.

Reading my mind wouldn't have helped... reading plain old English would have though.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

By the way, Summit has a 9$ charge for ordering these items cause there "special order items."

Jegs however, has them in stock, and ships them with no extra charge. Mine should be here tomorrow. Also ordered the LCA box supports from comp. Engineering. Just weld them right to the bottom of the box, and poof more support.

Last edited by Mid10Notch; 09-21-2005 at 05:42 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-06-2006, 05:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
REVIVING THE THREAD!!

Which is better: solid aluminum *or* poly crossmember to frame bushings? Pros? Cons?

my car is a DD, but as I'm making repairs its getting more & more track freindly. It will not be a track only car.

Track car: '96 Cobra Stock engine & trans. MM PHB, TA & rear adjustable sway bar, Koni coil-overs, MM A-arms, (K-member coming), Koni coil-overs, Brembo 4-pots w/ ducting. Torsen diff, 4-pt roll bar, .......and the list keeps growing.

New arrival: '93 Cobra
post #14 of 14 Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I don't know guys...., constraining parts that are meant to move can be tricky. What is it you're trying to accomplish?

My rule of thumb has always been that the trans need one additional degree of freedom higher than the motor. Meaning:
- Poly motor mounts use rubber trans mount
- Solid motor mounts use poly trans mount.

Never use solid / solid or a trans mount stiffer than the engine mount or you're going to break parts. Trans cases and whimpy trans x-members.

Now if you want to use a solid trans x-member to body mount then I think the above rule of thumb becomes even more important.

However, the thought of making the trans x-member a ridge object tying the two uni-body rails together sounds interesting. But then again as someone else mentioned its a rather thin stamping. So my $.02 is I really don't think there is much to gain here so why bother.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement