Popping noise from rearend after spring install - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-30-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Unhappy Popping noise from rearend after spring install

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did a search and didn't come up with anything relivant. I put the Bullitt suspension kit on my car about 3 months ago and when I put it in I had a popping noise coming from the right rear. I checked it out and it seemed like the spring on that side was moving around a lot and would pop. The kit came with new upper isolators but not lower ones so I thought that maybe my old ones where wore to much. I took the springs back off and put new lower isolators in. That stopped the noise for a while, but it is back.

I have heard that the springs will pop until they settle, but I didn't think that it would take this long for them to settle. This is driving me nuts. If any of you have an idea about what I did wrong or what could be the problem I would appreciate it. I think that I have every thing in here, but if you need any other information please ask and I'll let you know. Thanks.

Shaun

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-30-2005, 05:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I had a similar noise one time and it ended up being my upper control arm. Just something to check....
89 GT

1989 GT
post #3 of 8 Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I haven't thought of that. I guess that I should have siad when it pops. I hear the noise when I start off from a stop, when I change gears, when I start to come to a stop, and when I back up. It almost seems like the rearend is moving and causeing the spring to pop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-31-2005, 08:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
You did install the spring with the pigtail pointing the right direction, right?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I put both pigtails pointing towards the drivers side of the car. I put them back in the way that they came out. That is correct right?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
That's correct on the pig tail orientation. If the rear end was moving I doubt the spring would pop because of that. Sounds almost like something is getting snagged. I would check your control arm mouting points like 89GT suggested. Get the car up in the air and do a close visual inspection of your uppers and lowers.

88 LX Hatchback (100K Miles), Stock Engine, B&M Shifter, SFC, ST Brace, G-Load Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico Illumina Adj, MM LCA, FRPP UCA, FRPP FCA, Mac EL Headers, Dynomax Super Turbos, Mark VII front disc, TC rear disc, ROH ZR6 16x8, Fuzion ZRi 225/50R16, Corbeau Forza DS
post #7 of 8 Old 08-31-2005, 10:04 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Reef your swaybar and LCA bolts down tighter.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll check the sway bar and the LCA's this weekend. I'll be finishing another project on Sunday and then I'll check those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement