Anyone with Baer rears on their SN95 with MM suspension? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Anyone with Baer rears on their SN95 with MM suspension?

A few years back, when I first had all the brakes/suspension stuff installed on the car, my friend and I discovered that there was interference between the Baer rear PBR caliper (specifically the parking brake mechanism) and the MM panhard bar bracket on the driver side. (Note that I'm using SN95 brackets/axles in the rear so I can add ABS, not sure if this would be an issue on a "normal" Fox with Baers). We ended up clearancing the MM bracket a bit to make room for the caliper:
]

Since then, MM has developed a bracket that relocates the Baer caliper so there is no interference - http://www.maximummotorsports.com/brakeloweringbr.asp . I picked up a set and got to work on installing them last night. I've got the passenger side bracket installed and the caliper is mounted up, but I can't figure out how in the hell the parking brake cable is supposed to be routed. I don't think there's enough slack in the cable to allow it to fit with the caliper in the new position.

So, anyone else out there using these MM brackets, and if so, how did you route the parking brake cables? My current cables are the ones that came with the Baer kit, perhaps there are longer cables that would do the trick?

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 08-31-2005 at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-31-2005, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

I managed to get the cable to fit into the bracket, but there's no way I can leave it the way it's routed. Here are some more pictures (because it's fun to take pictures with a digital camera!)...

Original caliper mounting:

I don't have a picture of the original parking brake cable routing, but basically it came out from the torque box area, was zipped-tied to run along the LCA, then went under the axle to the back of the caliper. Pretty simple.

New caliper mounting (opposite side of car):

Here's the new/temporary parking brake cable routing:

The cable isn't long enough to route it under the axle housing and still reach the parking brake mechanism with the caliper now mounted up higher than it used to be. If I try to run the cable between the shock and the brakes, the shock is in the way (the cable ends up running pretty close to the caliper and can't make such a tight bend to turn 90deg into the bracket).

Of course, this is with this corner of the car jacked up, so the suspension is drooping right now. Once the suspension is loaded the cable and spring are going to be fighting to occupy the same space. Not to mention once I get the wheel/tire mounted again the tire might rub the cable at the front of the wheel well.

All in all, not a solution to the problem, but thus far it's the only way I've been able to make the cable even reach the caliper.

Pat

post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I've got the 12" Baer rear kit on my '00 with all MM suspension. I had a shop do the install using the MM relocation brackets. When you look at mine on the rear passenger side, the the caliper is in the lower left quadrant rather than the upper left like yours. The parking brake cable on mine appears to be plenty long with it set up like that. I haven't seen any other SN95 cars in person with the relocation brackets so I can't swear that mine is set up right, but the cable does work the way mine is.

'00 Atlantic Blue GT - '03 Cobra swap, TKO600, full MM suspension
'01 Corvette - D1 blown stroker
'85 Mustang GT - bone stock except exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I just ASSumed the relocation brackets were intended to move the caliper up, so I guess that was my error. There's no real description on MM's website, and no directions with the brackets (atypical of MM's stuff), so I just went with my best guess. The caliper seems to fit just fine in my orientation, although I hadn't put the pads in yet - maybe they wouldn't ride right on the rotor.

Anyway, I'm not to keen on moving the calipers farther down, but I guess I'll try it and see how looks.

Thanks,
Pat
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2005, 09:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Pat,

The adapter brackets should be installed so that it clocks the caliper down towards the ground, not upwards. This will allow the parking brake cable to clear the PHB bracket. This will also put the bleeder screw at a better angle than it has with the caliper clocked so far upwards.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jack. I'm so used to seeing calipers on most vehicles mounted above the 9o'clock - 3o'clock line, that I figured that's how the MM brackets were supposed to work. Even with the Baer brackets the bleed screw looks like it is barely at the high point of the caliper. I guess I'll have to go take a look, I'd be afraid that using your brackets the bleeder would not be the high point.

Pat

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #7 of 9 Old 09-03-2005, 01:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
ah....who needs parking brake anyway. I looked at mine as a hassel and weight reduction oportunity.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-03-2005, 05:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Pat,

In the photo below, you can see that the bleeder screw is orientated at the top of the psiton bore in the caliper. The photo is rotated, so you kind of have to twist your head.

http://mustang50magazine.com/howto/1...2_max_17_z.jpg

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2005, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jack. I got everything installed and back together this evening. Now I just need custom brackets for the front calipers so they mount down low, too - it'll be like a Carrera GT!

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement