help me set a list for a future A-X car - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-28-2005, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
help me set a list for a future A-X car

I have a 91 LX, ex-4 cyl, that in the future I really want to take auto-x, its a goal, of course budget and family will put that in the future, but as I build it I want to keep the goal in sight and build it right. sofar this is what I have done, not much but its a start.

strange struts w/ 4 cyl springs up front, complete v8 spindle and brake setup too. BBK caster camber plates. The rear is still stock w/ 8.8 rear and drum brakes. I am also running 255/40/R17 toyo R-1's on 93 cobra replica rims

I plan to install the UMI subframe conectors, and hope to install a front and rear strut tower brace.

if you all could maybe help me with some parts/mods list for me, it would be cool, ty

'91 LX Carbed 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-28-2005, 02:23 PM

A good set of race tires would be a good addition if you dont have them

1994 Mustang GT Vert - Deep Forest Green

1 of 541
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GT40 Upper/Lower|GT40Y Heads|FRPP Shorty Headers|FRPP 65MM TB|MM Adjustable Quadrant Kit|B&M Short Shifter|Borla Cat-Back|Poly Rack Bushings
post #3 of 12 Old 08-28-2005, 05:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
You really need to decide what class you want to run in before buying any more parts. As it stands the Strange struts put you in Street Mod as will any subframe connectors, gears lower than 3.55 or any internal engine modifications. The springs you have on there are woefully inadequate as are the struts.

The first thing that I would recommend changing is the nut behind the wheel. The best thing you could invest in up front would be an autocross driving school. Other than that, go to an event and get some instruction from an experienced driver. Use what you have now and enter the Novice class. Once you have run a few events in Novice talk to other Mustang drivers and see what they recommend as for thoughtful changes depending on your class selection. If you want to be competitive you will need to invest in an extra set of wheels and race tires.

Last edited by Glenn; 08-28-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-28-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

great idea on the class, I mod'd my car with a fuel cell, I fabbed and installed a box where the old spare tire was, I still have to fab the lid so it will be in a sealed compartment, how does this mod affect my autocross dreams?

'91 LX Carbed 5.0
post #5 of 12 Old 08-29-2005, 02:29 AM
Corral Day Kittah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
The best thing you could invest in up front would be an autocross driving school. Other than that, go to an event and get some instruction from an experienced driver. Use what you have now and enter the Novice class. Once you have run a few events in Novice talk to other Mustang drivers and see what they recommend as for thoughtful changes depending on your class selection. If you want to be competitive you will need to invest in an extra set of wheels and race tires.
Check the FAQ section at the top of the forum for addl resources.

Time behind the wheel is you best investment.

2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring AWD Turbo, 244 hp/258 torque - now with trailer hitch...zoom, zoom

Graduate: Bondurant Specialty Grand Prix Road Racing and Bridgestone Winter Driving Schools, some local autocross championships; now filling your mirrors on the open track
post #6 of 12 Old 08-29-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner7
great idea on the class, I mod'd my car with a fuel cell, I fabbed and installed a box where the old spare tire was, I still have to fab the lid so it will be in a sealed compartment, how does this mod affect my autocross dreams?

Hey, C Prepared is a fun class. Right, Glenn?

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #7 of 12 Old 08-29-2005, 07:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz
Hey, C Prepared is a fun class. Right, Glenn?
No complaints here, but I wouldn't want to take it to Nationals! At the local level it's fun to smoke the Corvettes and Porsches with a street legal Mustang. Unfortunately one of my friends recently bought a GT3 and has learned to drive it. He nipped me by a tenth at the last AX but I was on burned out tires at the time. I got to drove the GT3 on two runs and with me never having driven any Porsche before I was able to top my best time by .4 seconds, it is an awesome car. I think the Z06 has met it's match in SS.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
No complaints here, but I wouldn't want to take it to Nationals! At the local level it's fun to smoke the Corvettes and Porsches with a street legal Mustang. Unfortunately one of my friends recently bought a GT3 and has learned to drive it. He nipped me by a tenth at the last AX but I was on burned out tires at the time. I got to drove the GT3 on two runs and with me never having driven any Porsche before I was able to top my best time by .4 seconds, it is an awesome car. I think the Z06 has met it's match in SS.

wow, sounds cool, now I know I want to autocross, am thinking more and more about looking into a differant car for it now though, was kicking back a brew (or two) with my buddies in the garage this weekend, and started thinking about how much I enjoy my car as a weekend driver, so I might look into gettting a good deal on a 94-95 stang for autocross

'91 LX Carbed 5.0
post #9 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 04:41 PM

watch out some mods put you in the higher classes SM or CP. Sub frame connectors welded in will take you out of ESP or FS witch are better starter classes. Start in F Stock only cat back exhaust, front sway bar, Air filter in stock box and race tires on stock size rims. Easy on budget and you can improve driver skills first then pick a class.

John CP
post #10 of 12 Old 09-02-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

yeah, that is why I think I might wait and see about picking up a more stock mustang, my LX is pretty moded as is now, and I like her just the way she is, but I know I want to autocross, so we'll see, and since the wife likes the new'r looks of the 2000-2004 stangs and the sn95's I might beable to pull one off

'91 LX Carbed 5.0
post #11 of 12 Old 09-06-2005, 10:56 PM

If you are considering getting a different car, why not look at a Miata or whatever flavor of Honda is favored for STS.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Use a ford. The sn95 is a great car. Mustang parts are cheap & you can support american cars. What else could you want. You can race stock (I recommend) or street prepaired. Street modified and prepaired are big money classes.
John 4 CP DC & Philly region.
#1 mod race tires. (Hoosier is my choice)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement