Dusty Pads - Clean Wheels? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Dusty Pads - Clean Wheels?

Hello. After some rather hard driving, I find my wheels have what appears to be two substances on them. One is brake dust of course, the other is alot like POR15 or something that has been splashed on them. It seems thickest and hardest to remove in the corner area of the spoke/rib of the wheel. Everyday driving doesn't do it though; it's under severe service, like at a road course track that I notice these "deposits". So far, nothing short of a very strong cleaner and some scotchbrite rubbing seems to be able to remove them.

For reference, my front pads are Hawk blues and my rears are EBC redstuff.

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or tips as to how to clean or better yet, prevent your wheels from getting that black stuff that is so hard to get off. I thought perhaps smearing vaseling on them prior to running might help keep that stuff from sticking to them, but then again it'll definately capture all the debris and dust and crap that is thrown onto them. With the brake heat, I just wasn't sure what the outcome of that might be. Brake dust I can handle but this other stuff is a major pain.

Thanks for any and all help.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-27-2005, 09:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Have you tried Goof Off? It works well and won't harm the finish on your wheels.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Well...

I have "goofed off" before but I can't say I've ever heard of the stuff. I'll stroll through the net to see where I can buy it. Thanks.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2005, 11:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
The only time I've had deposits that were really, really hard to remove (eventually, I broke down and had the wheels refinished) was when my wheels got wet in the rain after they had gotten the track-duty brake pad dust on them. Much like your situation, all the brake dust came off except for some concrete-like deposits in the corners where the spokes met the outer rim.

I've heard of guys waxing their wheels, particularly with modern clear-coated wheels it's just like waxing your paint. I've also heard of guys having success with RejeX - http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html . I've been meaning to get some to put on my wheels for a while, just haven't gotten around to it.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement