5 Link 2 or MM TA/PHB setup? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
5 Link 2 or MM TA/PHB setup?

I'm not sure which would be better for my driving habits. I'm occasional drag, occasional autoX, occasional Road, and mostly Daily Driver. Since it's a vert, I dont think it'll ever be a true competition car but I do have some decent power (381rwhp , 384rwtq) and I'm looking to get the most out of it. Right now I've got a pretty squeaky set up. Bilstein HDs all around, MM lower control arms, kenny brown subframe connectors. Rest is stock. Thanks for the input.

2002 white/tan vert GT
Densecharger CAI, Lightning 90mm MAM, Accufab 75mm TB, Saleen Series IV SC, Bassani CB Exhaust/Xpipe, 42# injectors, MM lower Control Arms, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035, bilstein shocks/struts, Aviator pump.
Car now has a steeda front splitter and stalker side skirts to it's a b***h to get under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 01:18 PM

I would imagine it all comes down to whichever system you could purchase cheaper, or one that you could install(or have installed)easier. Either are great.

I personally went with a PHB from MM just because "everyone else has one". I plan to torque arm the car when money applies, but not before I fix the front end, and make it grip enogh to match the rear.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I work for a mustang parts seller so I can get either one at cost.

2002 white/tan vert GT
Densecharger CAI, Lightning 90mm MAM, Accufab 75mm TB, Saleen Series IV SC, Bassani CB Exhaust/Xpipe, 42# injectors, MM lower Control Arms, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035, bilstein shocks/struts, Aviator pump.
Car now has a steeda front splitter and stalker side skirts to it's a b***h to get under.

Last edited by fallstar01; 08-25-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 PM

Then...

I'll take a MM TA if you please! My 91 GT vert needs one badly.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 03:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have the MM goodies. They're awesome. But I'm sure the 5link2 is badass as well.

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

With 384 rwtq and 3.73s, Think I could get away with a standard TA? (as apposed to the heavy duty one).

2002 white/tan vert GT
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 PM

MM has a chart of torque vs. rear end gear re heavy duty or no.

I'm very happy with their t/a and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for all the above uses. On the other hand, I've seen Dave Schotz do wonders with the 5-link. So, it's probably a toss up.

But - you will need, at a minimum, heavier rear springs. And, so, probably better shocks. And, will almost certainly need to deal with increased understeer. A smaller front bar might be a cheap way out. This applies to the 5-link, as well.

If I were starting over, I'd probably go EVM 3-link as it has better geometry, but for your use that may not matter all that much.

Any of them will vastly improve handling, once tuned.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #8 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The 5-link puts power down much better right off the line, but with the original version tailpipes won't fit. Haven't used the new version that allows tailpipes, although it should put power down just as well. I've always been frustrated with the lack of initial bite of torque arm cars. Once rolling they seem ok- at least at low power levels- haven't driven one on a car with as much power as mine.

Go with the 5-link, you'll be happy you did. I've pulled a 1.66 60' with mine with 400 lb coil overs up front and 275/40-17 drag radials. And the handling is great too.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement