IRS swap in a fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-23-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
IRS swap in a fox

anyone did this swap? gettin ready to do it, found the write up on the internet, but wondered what length bolts to get.
any help is appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
woah.. wanna share the write up?

93 Titanium Silver Notch
Tremec 3550 | 13" 5 lug conversion
My Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For all of your brake swap questions.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-24-2005, 04:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
http://www.mouthbreather.net/IRSSWAP.html

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/irs0/pg2.html

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-24-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

i used the site from mouthbreather.com

i was told the stock 5.0 driveshaft will work. hopefully it does.
starting on it this weekend along with 99 cobra front brakes and spindles and putting the motor back together.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I don't remember what the bolt length was.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 AM

I will be installing an '03 Cobra IRS into a '91 LX hatch in near the future (once money allows me to purchase bushings, springs, etc.). I may use the webspace provided by my ISP to post the buildup. The buildup would include an aftermarket tubular front suspension (either MM, Griggs, or KB), a DOHC powerplant, and a complete interior/exterior make-over.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 AM

Is the IRS swap really worth it? What are the main benefits over a built up live axel?

2002 white/tan vert GT
Densecharger CAI, Lightning 90mm MAM, Accufab 75mm TB, Saleen Series IV SC, Bassani CB Exhaust/Xpipe, 42# injectors, MM lower Control Arms, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035, bilstein shocks/struts, Aviator pump.
Car now has a steeda front splitter and stalker side skirts to it's a b***h to get under.
post #8 of 25 Old 08-26-2005, 01:35 PM

fallstar01 - The main benefits? In my case, I wanted a good mix of handling prowess and ride comfort. I also wanted to stray away from the norm. While a properly set up live-axle is generally believed to be a better performing system than the IRS, currently available parts and modifications are closing the gap.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-26-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymatt
fallstar01 - The main benefits? In my case, I wanted a good mix of handling prowess and ride comfort. I also wanted to stray away from the norm. While a properly set up live-axle is generally believed to be a better performing system than the IRS, currently available parts and modifications are closing the gap.
Good reasons. I guess what I'm curious about is: Are there any things that the IRS does, handling wise, that are better than the live axel? and How much ride comfort does the IRS provide over the live axel, especially when closing that performance gap?

2002 white/tan vert GT
Densecharger CAI, Lightning 90mm MAM, Accufab 75mm TB, Saleen Series IV SC, Bassani CB Exhaust/Xpipe, 42# injectors, MM lower Control Arms, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035, bilstein shocks/struts, Aviator pump.
Car now has a steeda front splitter and stalker side skirts to it's a b***h to get under.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-26-2005, 02:33 PM

As far as handling goes, the IRS keeps the rear tires planted better over bumpy or uneven surfaces. On good surfaces I don't think there's really much of an advantage over a well set up 3-link or 5-link setup - look at the '05 Mustangs with the live axle kicking butt in Grand Am racing against IRS Porsches and BMW M3s.

'00 Atlantic Blue GT - '03 Cobra swap, TKO600, full MM suspension
'01 Corvette - D1 blown stroker
'85 Mustang GT - bone stock except exhaust
post #11 of 25 Old 08-26-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstar01
and How much ride comfort does the IRS provide over the live axel, especially when closing that performance gap?
It's supposed to ride much better. The guy I bought my 03 IRS set up from said there was a noticable loss in ride quality with the solid axle and that he briefly considered going back to it. I haven't put it in yet, so I can't give you my own feedback.

I'm really disappointed Ford dropped it from the new Shelby.

'92 CHP Interceptor
'04 Mach 1
------------------------------------------------
post #12 of 25 Old 08-29-2005, 11:19 PM

I put an 03 IRS in my 90 hatch.I love it.It was a cinch,I too saw that post on the net.I made a couple of changes ,and found it went very well.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-29-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

i got mine in also now, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. curious, what did u do about the driveshaft?
i was going to pull the yoke off the diff and put a fox one on so i can use my stock driveshaft
post #14 of 25 Old 08-30-2005, 09:44 PM

my fms alu. bolted right up
post #15 of 25 Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM

Cool, Im glad to see a few swapped in. Hows the ride? handling? and have you had it out on a road course yet? Does it behave well in the lighter fox body and does it increase handling beyond what you feel is acheivable with a built live axle? Does the wider track of the IRS effect tire to wheel well clearance? Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate the answers.

Reason I ask is that Ive got an 87 notchback thats begging to have a 331/tko/irs setup in it for SCCA ITE racing. I've seen what a properly setup IRS can do to solid axle competition and its not been pretty for the other guys. Anthony
post #16 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnstang
Cool, Im glad to see a few swapped in. Hows the ride? handling? and have you had it out on a road course yet? Does it behave well in the lighter fox body and does it increase handling beyond what you feel is acheivable with a built live axle? Does the wider track of the IRS effect tire to wheel well clearance? Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate the answers.

Reason I ask is that Ive got an 87 notchback thats begging to have a 331/tko/irs setup in it for SCCA ITE racing. I've seen what a properly setup IRS can do to solid axle competition and its not been pretty for the other guys. Anthony
Hey you just asked all the questions that I had thanks. But I have a 92 Ex-CHP and I'm working on a 331/ TKO-500/ and my boss today said i'll sell you my IRS for dirt cheap. So what do you people think IRS or live axle for road auto- X. Please all thoughts welcome.

92 x-chp coupe
post #17 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoticcoupe
Hey you just asked all the questions that I had thanks. But I have a 92 Ex-CHP and I'm working on a 331/ TKO-500/ and my boss today said i'll sell you my IRS for dirt cheap. So what do you people think IRS or live axle for road auto- X. Please all thoughts welcome.
https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...7&page=3&pp=35

Here is a really good thread about the issue. I would like to see how the participants feel now with the greater availability of improved parts like the '00 R subframe and less compliant bushings.

-Bill

96 F350 PSD
Sold: 97 Cobra
post #18 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindc1
https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...7&page=3&pp=35

Here is a really good thread about the issue. I would like to see how the participants feel now with the greater availability of improved parts like the '00 R subframe and less compliant bushings.
Thanks

92 x-chp coupe
post #19 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoticcoupe
Nice car, I actually bought mine in Sac.

If I was you, I'd call Maximum Motorsports and discuss it with them. They have most of the parts you'll want to buy either way you go, so they should be unbiased. My 92 CHP has the TA/PHB set up, the SVO is going to get the IRS. Hopefully I'll be done soon, and I'll post up some thoughts...

'92 CHP Interceptor
'04 Mach 1
post #20 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

i haven't got to drive mine yet, put the motor together last night and it's all in the car. gotta put the tranny and clutch in and i'm done. still gotta bleed the brakes some
post #21 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 02:35 PM

just finished mine https://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=693207 don't remember the length bolts I used but the stock d/s works fine. Very straight forward swap just takes awhile if you only have a battery powered drill to work with. good luck

1989 5.0 Coupe
04 Cobra IRS, 13" Cobra Brakes, 10th Anniversary Wheels, BBK Shorties, BBK Cold Air, Underdrive Pullies
Dynomax UltraFlow catback
post #22 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

i drilled the holes, i have big dewalt drill and good bits, still seemed to take about an hour
post #23 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Nice car, I actually bought mine in Sac.

If I was you, I'd call Maximum Motorsports and discuss it with them. They have most of the parts you'll want to buy either way you go, so they should be unbiased. My 92 CHP has the TA/PHB set up, the SVO is going to get the IRS. Hopefully I'll be done soon, and I'll post up some thoughts...
Thanks My work is talking to maximum motorsports to try to get a wholesale so I was looking into the grip in a box setup but now I don't IRS or live axel's.

Here is the big question for me what kind of exhaust are you guy's with the IRS running I just bought my exhaust and love it tips and all

thanks

92 x-chp coupe
post #24 of 25 Old 08-31-2005, 05:32 PM

I got the 03 Cobra cat back as part of the deal when I bought mine. No other option except dumps or side exits really. I like tips and I like quiet in a daily driver, so I'd buy the 03 stuff regardless.

'92 CHP Interceptor
'04 Mach 1
post #25 of 25 Old 09-01-2005, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I got the 03 Cobra cat back as part of the deal when I bought mine. No other option except dumps or side exits really. I like tips and I like quiet in a daily driver, so I'd buy the 03 stuff regardless.
Same here I have the hole Magna flow set its so quite drive and nice when on it. I can change the middle part and keep the tips right?

92 x-chp coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement