Rear Cobra caliper brackets? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-21-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Rear Cobra caliper brackets?

Is Ford the only place to get these?

I'm upgrading my rear disks from GT to Cobra spec using the 2300-M kit from Ford.

I will be using my rear GT calipers and have read that i will need to grind some of the bracket to clearance the rotors. I'm also aware that the Cobra brackets are difference with reguards to having a brace across the frontside to stiffen them up any.

I won't be doing any road racing or having driving, but i'd like to get the stronger brackets if possible. Does anyone know where i can get some other than getting lucky finding them used and separate?

They are Ford part # F4ZZ-2B511-B and cost $37 each. I'm not sure the differenced between them and GT brackets would justify the $80 spent however.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 AM

Aren't the Cobra brackets required to space the caliper out more, since the rotors are bigger?

post #3 of 12 Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
The calipers float. The the GT bracket just barely hits on the outer legs.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann
Aren't the Cobra brackets required to space the caliper out more, since the rotors are bigger?
There are two brackets, the axle bracket which I think you are talking about, and the caliper bracket that mounts to this axle bracket which I believe they are talking about.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Yup, i'm talking about the U-shaped caliper bracket that bolts to the axle bracket. You can use the GT-specific bracket with a little grinding, but i'd rather use the Cobra brackets and do the job right.

SHort of shelling out $80 for two new ones from Ford, does anyone have any leads other than used?

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #6 of 12 Old 08-22-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Here's the difference. Not only is it wider to accomodate the Cobra rotor, but the front is connected for added strenght

Cobra Calipers

GT calipers (on a CObra rear disk setup)

Notice how the U-shaped caliper bracket is not connected on the GT version but it is on the Cobra. This adds a little rigidity to the caliper as all the load is placed on this bracket during heavy braking. I'm an engineer so naturally if Ford felt the extra inch of leverage provided by the Cobra rotors was enough to necessitate some more bracing...then i would feel better if i used the correct Cobra brackets. I'm sure guys have done the GT bracket with no probs. I just also think the Cobra bracket looks better by covering up those ugly pads

I have the part number and price of the regular Cobra version, does anyone have a number for the red Bullitt or 10th anniversary brackets? I have my calipers painted to match the 10th anniversary style that is posted above. If the brackets are the same price (which i doubt) i'll get the ones that are already red.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 08-22-2005 at 05:17 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-23-2005, 07:33 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Ok, I am looking for the Cobra axle bracket. I know it's a part of a Cobra rear upgrade kit, but I don't want to spend $175 just to get two brackets. Anyone know if I can get these sperately?

I will be swapping out my ranger axles for SN95 axles for the increased track width.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-23-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

These are the Ford part numbers for the axle brackets...but Ford wants $75 each

F4ZZ-2C101-B, F4ZZ-2C100-B

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #9 of 12 Old 08-24-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92MNstanger
Ok, I am looking for the Cobra axle bracket. I know it's a part of a Cobra rear upgrade kit, but I don't want to spend $175 just to get two brackets. Anyone know if I can get these sperately?

I will be swapping out my ranger axles for SN95 axles for the increased track width.
If you have five lug ranger axles you can purchase a set of offset brackets that will allow you to bolt on the cobra rotors & calipers but also allow you to run the same offset front and back on your wheels. If you put sn-95 axles on you will have to run two different offsets on 17 x 9 wheels. If running 17x8 they will fit as is but with no room to upgrade later.

I used to manufacter these brackets about 3 years ago but stopped due to low production runs and cost of machining. I still have a set of these if you are interested but they are $150.00 for the pair. They are much stronger than the stock cast ones since they are machined steel. I will see if I have pics.

Chris
post #10 of 12 Old 08-24-2005, 04:55 PM

I went to http://discbrakesrus.com/ and ordered the cobra caliper brackets there along with the Anti Flex brackets.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-27-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, but the brackets they sell are not the brackets i am looking for.

I am talking about the bracket that is part of the caliper and holds the brake pads on. It's sometimes called the caliper bridge.

It's the black bracket on the caliper

I think i'm just gonna use the GT bridges instead. (above pic are my GT-spec calipers)

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #12 of 12 Old 09-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Mike. I have a pair of those that I bought new. I'm not sure why I didn't use them. I grinded the old brackets ( I think it was because I painted them).....but I specifically remember when I did the GT to Cobra rear conversion that the ford parts guy said that they are selling only one bracket for both applications now. The ones I have are yellow zinc plated. You can have them if you want them. Buy me some fuel and we'll call it square.

Troy Velazquez - Director
SVTOA Boston/New England Chapter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement