Trying to achieve tolerable ride quality... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Trying to achieve tolerable ride quality...

Here's my situation -
I have a 2000 GT hardtop, and I live in the City (read rough, jarring roads) . The car is driven once a week, as I'm saving the environment by ridding the train, and sees HPDE duty. Currently the car has 03' Cobra struts up front, Mach1 Tocikos in the rear, and Steeda Sport springs (1.25" drop, 650lb fr, 200-250lb r). Also of note- MM PHB, MM CC plates, and enough chassis stiffening to transmitt every sensation to your jaw. The ride is just herrendous.

The rear is way too soft, bottoming out often. Both with single large bumps and when confronted with a series of bumps. It also feels like I'm ridding a bronco through the city. It gets even worse when a passenger is in the car. I know the problem, mismatched parts. Now I need to work my out of this hole.

As the rear shocks seem to be in working order (though not optimized for job), I'm thinking of getting a longer/stiffer spring in the rear. The H&R Race spring looks good - 1" drop, 250-270lb. This should prevent the rear from bottoming out. I may also look into a set of Bilsteins or Koni SAs for the rear.

I've also found a used MM coil over kit with 325lb x10" springs for the front. I'm a bit iffy on this. I'm thinking the 325 spring is too soft, but MM recommends 350-375lb springs for the Cobra struts, so I might give the 325 spring a shot.

So yes, I don't mind going stiffer, just as long the ride is less jarring.

Anyway, any advice to work myself out of this whole would be appreciated. Also let me know if I'm smoking crack.

e90 328i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 11:47 AM

Have you thought about variable rate springs, like the Eibach Pro Kit? You may have to use stiffer sway bars if the turn-in response slows a little or if a little extra body roll seems like it's a problem, but it seems like that would be a lot less complicated than coil-overs. The H & R's will stiffen the rear a little, probably really jar your butt on the street.

"A nation which has forgotten the quality of courage which in the past has been brought to public life is not as likely to insist upon or regard that quality in its chosen leaders today - and in fact we have forgotten."
-John F. Kennedy
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Most of the poor ride isn't coming from the springs being too stiff, it's coming from the springs bottoming out. So instead of resisting the vertical force, the rear is carrying downward momentum, then bang - the bumpstop.

e90 328i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 12:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I'm running Bilsteins on all 4 corners, 03 Cobra front and HD in the rear. I have 275# CO's front and H&R Race rear and the ride is firm, yet controlled and reasonably smooth. Using a 45 aspect ratio tire seems to really help out in the ride but with 275-40 Nitto 555 R-II's it's a bit jittery on poor road surfaces. I think with your propsed changes your ride will be better as the CO's won't ride as harsh as conventionals due to reduction in bind.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (35)
FYI

I have H&R race springs, bilsteins all around, MM PHB, MM full subs, MM LC, Steeda HD UC and Steeda CC. The ride is amazing; extremely solid yet very comfortable in the city all day long (never bottoms out). And the right tires also make a world of difference in ride quality (255/45 front and 315/35 summitomos).
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
I have 275# CO's front
Typo, yes?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann
Typo, yes?
I don't think so, this is on my eveyday driver. It may be 325# CO's but I really think it is 275# springs. Now, on my track car I have 425# springs up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement