How to remove the abs stuff from my gt? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-14-2005, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
How to remove the abs stuff from my gt?

How should I go about doing this? Do I need to run all new lines? Thanks.

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I dunno, but if it's still functioning, I'll take all the wiring harnesses off your hands.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #3 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 10:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Why would you?

#26 ITE
2005 KCR SCCA ROTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennGT
Why would you?

Camaro mustang challenage does not allow abs systems. Same thing with AI so I might has well save the weight, and remove the pump that sits right in front of the left tire.

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 01:33 PM

American Iron

I'm gonna go ahead and throw a flag on this one . CMC might not allow ABS but 1/2 the field in AI is running it. http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....ht=abs+removal
I went back through my rule book and don't see anything banning its use.
What is the weight of the pump? It'd have to take 10 or 15lbs off the left front before I'd even consider it.

#26 ITE
2005 KCR SCCA ROTY
post #6 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and throw a flag on this one . CMC might not allow ABS but 1/2 the field in AI is running it. http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....ht=abs+removal
I went back through my rule book and don't see anything banning its use.
What is the weight of the pump? It'd have to take 10 or 15lbs off the left front before I'd even consider it.
7.8.3 Anti-lock brake systems are prohibited except for an unmodified OEM system, which includes ABS valve body and electronics as delivered from the factory. Updating and backdating of factory ABS systems into newer and older cars is allowed. Calipers are unrestricted.

Edit: This is for AI.

86 GT, 327, S-trim, Griggs GR40 suspension

Last edited by fowler86gt; 08-15-2005 at 02:21 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 03:07 PM

?

Quote:
Why would you?
So if its legal, and does not weigh that much, why delete it?

#26 ITE
2005 KCR SCCA ROTY
post #8 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/

8.35. Brakes
8.35.1. Brake pads, linings, and fluid are unrestricted.
8.35.2. Rubber brake lines/hoses may be replaced with suitable metal braided lines. Brake lines/hoses may be relocated and may be given additional protection. All brake lines/hoses must be securely fastened and safely routed. Brake fittings, adapters, and connectors are unrestricted.
8.35.3. The brake master cylinder and brake booster must be OEM stock and unmodified.
8.35.4. A brake-proportioning valve may be used provided that it is an inline, pressure-limiting type.
8.35.5. Backing plates may be removed or modified. Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes, provided that they extend in a forward direction only and that no changes are made in the body/structure for their use. Liquid brake cooling is prohibited.
8.35.6. Parking brakes, mechanisms, and actuating components may be removed.
8.35.7. Rear caliper mounting brackets may be substituted.

8.35.8. Antilock braking systems (ABS) are prohibited. OEM stock ABS systems must be removed or disabled

8.35.9 Braking systems shall conform to the following specifications:
1. The one piece front or rear hub with rotor may be replaced with a separate hub and rotor or separate hub, rotor hat and rotor.
2. Rotors shall be of a ferrous material only and may be vented. No cross drilling or slotting is allowed.
3. The maximum front and rear rotor size shall not exceed the following dimensions:
a. GM vehicles: 12.0” diameter and 1.25” thickness
b. Ford vehicles: 12” diameter and 1.125 thickness
4. Front calipers may be updated/backdated from any car of the same manufacturer listed in Section 4. Eligible Manufacturers/Models, and shall utilize either 2 non opposed pistons no larger than 38mm in diameter or a single piston no larger than 76mm in diameter with the following exceptions listed below:
a. GM vehicles may use stock 98+ Camaro/Firebird 44mm dual piston calipers
b. Ford vehicles may use stock 99+ non Cobra 44.5mm dual piston calipers
5. The rear calipers may be updated/backdated from any car of the same manufacturer listed in Section 4. Eligible Manufacturers/Models, and shall use a piston no larger than 40mm in diameter with the exceptions listed below for Ford cars:
a. unmodified 1984-1986 Mustang SVO 5 lug, 11" rotor, 54mm piston caliper rear disc.
b. unmodified 1984-1987 Lincoln Mark 7 5 lug, 11" rotor,
54mm piston caliper rear disc.
c. unmodified 1994-current Mustang 5 lug, 10" rotor, 40mm
piston caliper rear disc.
d. unmodified 1994-1998 Mustang Cobra 5 lug, 11" rotor, 40mm piston caliper rear disc.

Now that that's cleared up, way the hell does it matter why I wanna take it out?TennGT Even if it was legal in CMC I would still take it out because I have more trust in my right foot than the stock stuff that kick's in at all the wrong times on R compounds. So take that bs flag and sit on it.

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

btw, in a 3400lb car weight is everything.

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 09:28 AM

Slow down, the B.S flag stands, you stated that ABS was illegal in AI, if the rules for CMC require you loose it OK. What I was trying to get at was why take it out if the rules allow it, seems like there would be some benifit gained and there might be other areas to loose a few lbs.

#26 ITE
2005 KCR SCCA ROTY

Last edited by TennGT; 08-16-2005 at 09:37 AM.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I was under the impression that a lot of the rules where carried over into AI. Has I dont plan on runing in Ai I have focused on the cmc rules. Now does anyone know the proper way to remove it?

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 03:40 PM

I found this thread on the CMC forums.
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...ht=abs+removal

Also, there is a guy on Corner Carvers that runs a 99+ Mustang in CMC. You may want to contact him and see what he did. His screen name is GT4Point6.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fowler very usefull.

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 06:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8_96gt
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/

8.35. Brakes
8.35.1. Brake pads, linings, and fluid are unrestricted.
8.35.2. Rubber brake lines/hoses may be replaced with suitable metal braided lines. Brake lines/hoses may be relocated and may be given additional protection. All brake lines/hoses must be securely fastened and safely routed. Brake fittings, adapters, and connectors are unrestricted.
8.35.3. The brake master cylinder and brake booster must be OEM stock and unmodified.
8.35.4. A brake-proportioning valve may be used provided that it is an inline, pressure-limiting type.
8.35.5. Backing plates may be removed or modified. Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes, provided that they extend in a forward direction only and that no changes are made in the body/structure for their use. Liquid brake cooling is prohibited.
8.35.6. Parking brakes, mechanisms, and actuating components may be removed.
8.35.7. Rear caliper mounting brackets may be substituted.

8.35.8. Antilock braking systems (ABS) are prohibited. OEM stock ABS systems must be removed or disabled

8.35.9 Braking systems shall conform to the following specifications:
1. The one piece front or rear hub with rotor may be replaced with a separate hub and rotor or separate hub, rotor hat and rotor.
2. Rotors shall be of a ferrous material only and may be vented. No cross drilling or slotting is allowed.
3. The maximum front and rear rotor size shall not exceed the following dimensions:
a. GM vehicles: 12.0” diameter and 1.25” thickness
b. Ford vehicles: 12” diameter and 1.125 thickness
4. Front calipers may be updated/backdated from any car of the same manufacturer listed in Section 4. Eligible Manufacturers/Models, and shall utilize either 2 non opposed pistons no larger than 38mm in diameter or a single piston no larger than 76mm in diameter with the following exceptions listed below:
a. GM vehicles may use stock 98+ Camaro/Firebird 44mm dual piston calipers
b. Ford vehicles may use stock 99+ non Cobra 44.5mm dual piston calipers
5. The rear calipers may be updated/backdated from any car of the same manufacturer listed in Section 4. Eligible Manufacturers/Models, and shall use a piston no larger than 40mm in diameter with the exceptions listed below for Ford cars:
a. unmodified 1984-1986 Mustang SVO 5 lug, 11" rotor, 54mm piston caliper rear disc.
b. unmodified 1984-1987 Lincoln Mark 7 5 lug, 11" rotor,
54mm piston caliper rear disc.
c. unmodified 1994-current Mustang 5 lug, 10" rotor, 40mm
piston caliper rear disc.
d. unmodified 1994-1998 Mustang Cobra 5 lug, 11" rotor, 40mm piston caliper rear disc.

Now that that's cleared up, way the hell does it matter why I wanna take it out?TennGT Even if it was legal in CMC I would still take it out because I have more trust in my right foot than the stock stuff that kick's in at all the wrong times on R compounds. So take that bs flag and sit on it.

Looks pretty lame. You can't run cobra brakes, so that just excludes all cobras? Nice advantage to the 'maro's for power output then assuming the other rules are as strict.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 07:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The module is heavy. I didn't weigh it, but I'm guessing between 12 and 15 lb's. Plus, that weight is in the nose. It is pretty simple. The best solution is new lines, and install a manual brake bias. However, the quick and inexpensive way is to remove the module. Install a "T" onto the front line that comes from the OEM brake bias (It is clearly marked on the ABS module). Contect each side of the "t" to the left and right front caliper lines. Install a coupling for the rear brake line. It will require several fittings and maybe more than one trip to Auto parts store, but it's just a matter of making the correct connections. Again, the lines are marked on the ABS module. Before you break them loose from the module mark each line with masking tape and a marker. It looks a little crazy when your all done, but it will work fine. I race in AI and a manual brake bias is the way to go. But, if your running CMC ABS is illegal. I personally do not like OEM ABS on the track. Atleast not the system in a 95 Mustang. You loose too much pedal feel and control. Plus you get lazy and just mash the brake pedal to the floor. Not a real good way to learn braking finesse.

Dave
post #16 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

abs is not legal in cmc.

You can run the cobra PBR calipers but you have to modify the brackett and mill down the rotor to 12".

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Red_V6
Looks pretty lame. You can't run cobra brakes, so that just excludes all cobras? Nice advantage to the 'maro's for power output then assuming the other rules are as strict.
All Cobras are excluded. However, you can run Cobra brakes, but you have to have the rotors cut down to 12" to be legal. The F-bodies have a higher minumum weight. The Mustangs are winning more races across the country.

86 GT, 327, S-trim, Griggs GR40 suspension
post #18 of 23 Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 GT RR
But, if your running CMC ABS is illegal.
Dave
That's what I said, illegal or not legal
post #19 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
I dunno, but if it's still functioning, I'll take all the wiring harnesses off your hands.
So, uhhh, how about them wiring harnesses?

Pat
post #20 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

make me an offer.

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Hmm, I'll PM ya I'm thinking about adding ABS to my C Prepared car, I'm getting tired of flatspotting the inside edge on the front.

Micha
Solo Director, Utah Region SCCA
87 LX coupe, C Prepared
Evolution Drivers School, Phase 1&2 and Challenge School I suck less now!
post #22 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Removing the ABS sounds like a PITA. Disabling it is easy, just remove one of the wheel speed sensors and the system shuts down.

I do autocross, open track and solo trials and I love my ABS. No tire flat spotting with it and since I seldom need to threshold brake anyway it isn't an issue. Seems to me that rules that disallow it are are frakking stupid. It's standard equipment on every V8 F-body and Mustang for about the last 10 years and it does help prevent loss of control.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

all in the name of cost containment. A lot of the mustang's and camaro's are earley 90's late 80's. \Where abs wasnt avaliable. Its a real Cheap class to start racing in so Iam goin to stay with it. I'm still not a fan of abs.Just dont like the feeling of it.

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement