MM Panhard Bar Install question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
MM Panhard Bar Install question

After what seems like forever, I'm finally just about ready to take my 90 Mustang for a drive. The last item other then an oil change, mufflers and some ride height tinkering is to install the panhard bar link, or the bar which actually does the locating/centering of the rear end to the rest of the car.

Upon installing it to the length which I believe is close I find that I cannot get the bar to "level". That is to say that when I put a level on the bar itself (axle and car are level) that I run out of adjustment on the slotted side of the panhard bar before I can achieve the bar being horizontal or level. In my case after some careful measuring, the slotted side of the panhard bar which is also the passenger side needs to go downward 1 1/8 inches in order to achieve something very close to level.

I can make some brackets which will bolt on and extend downward to achieve a level bar but my question is, how necessary is it that this bar be perfectly level? Is 1 inch from being level really that big of a deal handling wise or not?

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-12-2005, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anice_34
...the passenger side needs to go downward 1 1/8 inches in order to achieve something very close to level.

I can make some brackets which will bolt on and extend downward to achieve a level bar but my question is, how necessary is it that this bar be perfectly level? Is 1 inch from being level really that big of a deal handling wise or not?
Actually is is pretty important. Your PHB will move in an arc, to minimize the lateral movement of the axle it has to be level at normal ride height. If it isn't you are pretty much negating the benefit of having one since the axle will move around a lot more. I would work on reducing your rear ride height until the bar was level. This will achieve nearly the same end result. Adjustable spring perches, lowering springs or converting to coilovers should solve the problem. Springs would be the quickest most cost effective means.

post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

I do have MM coilovers as part of the mods which I did and perhaps I can lower the ride height some. I'll play around with that in the morning and just see what it takes to get there.

Thanks for the reply.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
i asked this question of MM tech support, because i plan to install one (yeah, right, i've been "planning" for two years) on a car with stock sprngs.
this was the answer i got:

Mark,

You will not have any leveling issues with aftermarket springs. We designed
the PHB to work at its optimum when the car is lowered, and virtually all
aftermarket springs lower the car. When you install the PHB on your car with the stock springs, you will most likely not be able to get the panhard rod
to level out. That will not really be an issue because you will still notice
a great increase in the cars' ability to corner and get through turns at a
much higher rate of speed. I did the PHB first on may car and had no issues
at all.

Matt Main
Tech Support and Sales.
Maximum Motorsports, Inc.

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Update

Thanks for the info. Today I played around with the ride height. I believe that if I had stock wheels and tires on my Fox platform, I could easily get the bar level... or lower the car. Part of my mods were cobra front brakes and since I was changing the rear gear, 5 lug all the way around with 31 spline axles. Now with 245/45/R17's on a 9 inch wheel, lowering the car is tricky... basically in the front. I could lower the back but then it would rake upwards in the front which isn't what I want.

What doesn't make sense to me is that I bet I'm not the only one with this problem... wouldn't you think that MM or someone would sell a "drop kit" to basically just capture the panhard rod, yet let you bolt it up higher?? I believe I can make one, and make one rigid and strong enough but it's going to take several hours to get it right. Oh well... after 1000 hours in a redo, what's another 15 or so hours... right? I'm trying to tell myself this anyways.

For right now, it's going to have to be off level for a bit.

That brings up another question though... I should probably post this in another forum but I'm curious, what is "roughly" the stock fender height of a fox body on standard tires? I realize this number will vary but I've lost all track since the coilovers were replacing springs that were already lowering springs. I mean is the fender height 26 or more like 28?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ken
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2005, 02:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Ken,

The stock height from the inside top of the fender arch to the ground is 27" both front and rear.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley
Ken,

The stock height from the inside top of the fender arch to the ground is 27" both front and rear.
Yep, mine was 26 15/16" left and 26 7/8" right. My bar was not parallel with the ground either. I've since put on coilovers and dropped the car about an inch and the bar is level on the lowest setting.

93 LX, Boosted and Braked
post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2005, 03:14 PM

I have a similar problem, I have the panhard rod set at the very bottom of the slot and it is just level. However, this is without the driver (me) in the car and I weigh in at @290lbs. No jokes please, I'm 6' 5".

I have MM's adjustable lower control arms and H&R TA 51650TA-3 springs (in anticipation of installing my MM HD TA) in the car at the moment. I just picked up a set of the stiffer H&R TA 51650TA-1 springs from Glenn that are going to go on the car. I'll mess around with my ride height some and see what I find.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to requisition help to adjust the rod while I'm sitting in the car. My friends are not very mechanically inclinded and its blazing hot outside.

Glenn, if I can get my seat height problem figured out this week I may bring the Mustang to Ft. Pierce...my Dad is planning to come over again. If not, I'll bring the STi.

'05 STi
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2005, 03:35 PM

Sounds cool Ryan, will look for you. Remember, on Saturdays we can usually get anywhere from 8 to 16 timed runs depending on attendance.

As for your PHB adjustment, when you sit in the car the driver side end remains at the same height, the passenger side will drop, so you should have room for adjustment. Even though it isn't mandatory to get the PHB level, the car will work a bit better if it is. With the adjustable control arms you can get it set up pretty damned good. If you haven't replaced your stock bumpstop with the H&R one I would suggest you do that when you install the TA.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
Sounds cool Ryan, will look for you. Remember, on Saturdays we can usually get anywhere from 8 to 16 timed runs depending on attendance.

As for your PHB adjustment, when you sit in the car the driver side end remains at the same height, the passenger side will drop, so you should have room for adjustment. Even though it isn't mandatory to get the PHB level, the car will work a bit better if it is. With the adjustable control arms you can get it set up pretty damned good. If you haven't replaced your stock bumpstop with the H&R one I would suggest you do that when you install the TA.
Damn, you're right...I was thinking that when I sat in the car the driver's side would drop...wasn't thinking that the PHB bracket is attached to the axle on that side. I'll get it dialed in.

I have a MM bumptop already on the car along with Prothane isolators all around top and bottom.

I'm hoping for 16 runs! I think I got 10 or so that last time I was there...which was the only time I was there.

'05 STi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement