Use a Vert for Autocross or Open Track? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-09-2005, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Use a Vert for Autocross or Open Track?

Anyone use a convertible for autocross or open track? What suspension set up do you use? What roll bar do you use. Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Try this thread.
https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...highlight=vert

86 GT, 327, S-trim, Griggs GR40 suspension
post #3 of 11 Old 08-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Autocross yes, it's a blast. OT no, that's what the Coupe is for. As for setup, the vert has stock longblock, a tubular K, a strut tower brace, and 17 inch rims, Steeda springs, and control arms out back - so by SCCA logic i can only compete against Formula 1 cars to be class legal. Check this link (towards bottom) http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com...ale.html#INDEX Peter Varga pretty much waxes us mustang guys each time in ESP with this setup - but now there are some pretty fast Subarus laying claim to that class. SM is fun if you want to make engine mods, gear changes, and play around with coilovers. It's autocross for crying out loud, just have fun. (unless you're going to nationals, then buy a Miata like the good lord intended)

-- Kyle
'92 LX Convertible (now a Lemons race car)
'90 LX Coupe (HPDE track car)
'94 Cobra (stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-10-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. What gears do you like to run in vert for autocross? Do you see any need to upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes? I plan on autocrossing on a very casual basis initially. I am sure that I will get into it once I get my feet wet. I just want to make sure that I make some smart mods. My car currenly has Steeda springs, sub frames, strut tower brace,and the motor is stock. I have considered a roll bar to stiffen the car up (even for regular street) and a tubular k member. The car has new shocks and struts, but handles like a whale.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-10-2005, 08:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would just do a few autocrosses with the car as is until you learn what you feel is deficient with your car. Then proceed to make changes from there
post #6 of 11 Old 08-11-2005, 08:53 AM

I agree with TNT, every course, and every driver are different - try a couple in your area and see - that will help you pick subtle things like gears. One course i go to south of here, 3:73s are perfect, another west of here tends to have longer straights and i hit the rev in 2nd, so feels like 3:55s would be better.

Seat time first - then sticky tires.

Those two things will absolutely bury any other mod for autocross. I had to rent a v6 one weekend when i was chasing points - stuck a friends sticky street tires on the rental, it was embarassing how close i was to my street prepared vert times.

-- Kyle
'94 Cobra (stock)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-11-2005, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info - I have a lot to learn. I do not know the first thing about Autocross. All of my past experience has been with drag racing.

I have seen it a few times at a local venue and looks like some serious fun. I plan on attending some of the local meets in the next few month with my car to see how things go.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 PM

oh, be sure to bring friends if you can...

CLICK SAVE AS FOR BEST PERFORMANCE - 10 meg .mov

Makes it even better if slowest lap buys the beers

-- Kyle
'94 Cobra (stock)
post #9 of 11 Old 08-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GTStreetRod

1. What gears do you like to run in vert for autocross?

2. Do you see any need to upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes?

3. My car currenly has Steeda springs, sub frames, strut tower brace,and the motor is stock.

4. I have considered a roll bar to stiffen the car up (even for regular street) and a tubular k member.

5. The car has new shocks and struts, but handles like a whale.

1. Leave the gears alone until you settle on a class. Because, well, stock is stock, E Street Prepared is maxed at 3.55, Street Modified and C Prepared are wide open.

2. No. But, a big yes for track work.

3. The sfc's and strut tower brace put you in SM, unless stock. You can run a non-stock 2-point only brace in ESP, IIRC.

4. Roll bar will do a great job of stiffening. BUT, read the rules - they differ with each class. And, some people think roll bars are not the hot ticket for street driving due to the proximity of your unhelmeted head to the very hard roll bar. BTW, a tubular K-member puts you in CP.

5. Well, yes. All in good time. Do some driving and some reading (search) and then re-visit this.

Have fun.

Edit to add - as to the original question: convertibles are fine, though not ideal, due to extra weight, chassis flex and the need a for a roll bar for any track stuff (not auto-cross). Don't sweat it. Get out there, have some fun and if you get really serious, worry about having the perfect car later.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA

Last edited by rfloz; 08-11-2005 at 03:03 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-23-2005, 11:38 AM

Go stock then see how you like it. I race the DC & Philly region and have found some people make changes then put themselves out of a class. See the rules on SCCA.com then deside on a class.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2005, 07:45 PM

I run my 2003 Vert in F Stock autocross. My only mod since picking it up from the dealer is a set of Stock Rims and Kuhmo Victorasers.
I use it as my daily driver and I put 360 miles / week on it so I haven't even had the alignment changed from the factory.

I go by the quote: "Before you upgrade a bolt, fix the nut behind the wheel"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement