Canadian SoloSprint Event at Mosport results - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Canadian SoloSprint Event at Mosport results

This is one I've got to share. We had a one day school/one day competition (SoloSprint is the same as Solo 1). Mosport is an amazing, 2.5 mile, ten turn, world class racetrack. Turn 2 is reputed to be one of the top ten most challenging turns in the world, according to a poll of professional racers. I don't know where the backup on that is...I'll try to hunt that down sometime. But it starts at 185kph, blind over the top of a hill, off camber, down a hill, double apex.

I had my instructor scream in terror! Here's how: We exit the Turn 1 right hander, and up the hill into the turn 2 left hander. He said "on the throttle", so I gave it more gas. I like that he was challenging me to go faster. He then said in a firmer voice "On The Throttle!", so I gave it more gas, with my blood pressure starting to elevate. Then he yelled "ON THE THROTTLE!!!!!", so I pucker up and give it more gas. I handled the car well, with no slippage, no wheel spin, no jerkiness, but the instructor is freaking out, and screams at me to "slow down, are you crazy!". I said that "you told me to get on the throttle!?!". He said he was telling me to get OFF the throttle! D'oh!

That'll be the funniest moment of my young racing career! He signed me off right away, understanding I knew what I was doing. He told the head instuctor he'd never gone through Turn 2 that fast in his life. My instructor came to me later and said he wasn't scared. Hehehe!

On to Sunday's competition, Event #5 in our schedule.
Only four Mustangs participating, out of 70+ entries, plus a couple of Cobra kit cars.

Andy P. in a stock 87 5.0 Hatch:
Winner of GT3 class
Winner of Top Novice
Winner of a door prize

Riaan V.V. in a mildly modded 03 Mustang Cobra
Winner of SGT2 class
Winner of a door prize

Chris A. in a race prepped 91 GT
Winner of SGT3 class
3rd Overall
Winner of a door prize
Moved from second to First Overall in the season standings!

Russ H. in a mildly modified 97 Mustang Cobra
Winner of GT1 class
Winner of a door prize

{Drum roll........**
Overall winner: Russ H. (me)! Woooohooooo!

I was the last person to get a door prize, which completed the clean sweep for the Mustangs! It was a great day for the Mustang drivers, and an incredible day for me personally. Every heat was faster than the last, and I improved my personal best by almost 1.5 seconds, finishing the day with a 1min 38.381sec time. That works out to an average of 91.5mph. Whew! Better than drugs! Better than sex too, but I'm willing to keep trying that one!

1997 Pacific Green Mustang SVT Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Congrats on your win. I'm glad you did your best time.
I gotta rain on your parade tho....
Was it your instructors first time in a car? I mean c'mon..the fastest he's ever been?
1:38's.....
I reacall a 300hp Mustang(total street car) doing 1:35's back in 1995 . Your instructor would have had a heart attack, seeing he's 3 secs a lap faster then you....10 years ago.
Again, congrats on the win. Personal bests are great, and I'm happy for you..really, but let's not get carried away with the spewing of your brilliant driving.

Last edited by sydhawk; 08-08-2005 at 11:50 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2005, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the instructor surprised me a bit with his reaction. He had plenty of driving experience, with several years in open wheel cars, as well as a number of years in sedans (BMW). And the speed we took 2 at was slow compared to how fast I was going later in the weekend. And I only did 1:43's with him in the car! I would have to think that while he has lots of experience behind the wheel, he's probably new to the passenger seat. It always seems faster from there.

As far as my driving being "brilliant", I only wish! I indicated that I handled the car well, but that was only referring to the corner where the instructor started losing it. I'm sure I can push the car into the 1:37's.

1:35's is pretty damn good for a Mustang. Especially back in 1995, before they widened the track. I know a guy who can do 1:30's. Its kind of hard to define what a "total street car" is. That's where the Solo classification system comes in. In my case, the car is 3400lbs, 310RWHP, but is on original stock springs, and original (190,000km) stock shocks. And I'm only at about -2° camber. I was the only one (out of eleven) in my class to get under 1:39. This included a 97 Camaro SS with non-stock springs, shocks, & alignment driven by the two time class champ; a fully race prepped BMW M3 driven by the 2003 Solo 1 Overall Champion, and a stock Subaru STI driven by the current class points leader.

1997 Pacific Green Mustang SVT Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2005, 09:11 AM

Well done! Nice to hear about Mustangs doing well through the twisties!

Maybe it wasn't so much the speed through the turn that set your instructor off as the fact that you weren't applying it in your regular acceleration zone. As you say, he was expecting you to back off and you were accelerating, that would get anyone's attention. Good job on holding on to it!

Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body...

But rather, to skid in broadside & thoroughly used up, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow! What a ride! Thank You Lord!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement