ARP (or other) wheel studs in SN95 hubs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Question ARP (or other) wheel studs in SN95 hubs

This has probably been discussed here before, but I wasn't able to find it by searching. I'm thinking of a wheel combo for street use that would require me to run 20mm spacers, so I would need to run some longer wheel studs. When I look at ARP's website, though, their listing of applications is kind of weird for the 1/2-20 wheel studs - things like "Ford, rear disc brakes, Chrysler front".

Does anybody know what the specs are for the knurl diameter and knurl height with SN95 hubs? Or, even better, if someone has installed ARP studs which part number did you use? Are there any other good quality options out there for wheel studs?

Thanks!

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

So, with some more better searching, I've found that Moroso makes direct fit studs (PN 46185 - Wheel Studs, 1/2" -20 X 3" Press-in, .594" dia. knurl and quick start dog end, fits 1979-03 Mustang. Also has flat on head for front hubs with ABS. Standard hole size: .580".). Comparing their specs to the 5 different 1/2-20 ARP studs, it appears that ARP does not make a stud for the SN95 hubs. Apparently, Baer sells some (made by ARP) that are about $75, which I assume is a set of 10, but I don't know.

As an aside, allow me to mention that Baer's website has degenerated into an uninformative picture show. They used to have their (extremely informative) catalog available for download. Now they don't even show a single application list, so they have all these pretty pictures of calipers and rotors and what-not, but nothing that tells you if any of it will fit your car. As for the wheel studs, they're not even listed on their website - the closest thing I can find is a page titled "Support Components" - We have a bunch of other parts we sell, too, but we're not gonna tell you what those parts might be. If you think we might have what you need, feel free to call us on your dime (because we're cheap bastards and don't have a toll-free line) and we'll help you out.

Pat

post #3 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What about the ARPs on MMs site?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/wheelstuds.asp

NASA SoCal Time Trial #56 TTB

2006 NASA SoCal TTA Champion
2003 SCCA LVR Region CP Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh, hadn't seen those, thanks. Again, though, there's a huge price difference between the ARP studs and the Moroso studs. ARP's other studs are available through Summit for about the same price as the Moroso studs, so I'm not sure why the ARPs that MM (and supposedly Baer) sell cost nearly 3x as much.

Pat
post #5 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 AM

I believe the studs sold by Baer are ARPs.

The reason why the ARP studs are so expensive is due to that the stud used for the front Mustang hubs is not a common size, and brings up the cost of each unit produced.

FWIW, the packaging on the Moroso studs clearly states that it should not be used with spacers (at least mine did).

2006 Pontiac GTO
post #6 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKS.99
FWIW, the packaging on the Moroso studs clearly states that it should not be used with spacers (at least mine did).
Yeah, it says that on their website, too. Interestingly enough, though, MM mentions on their site
Quote:
These studs are necessary when using our 1/2" thick wheel spacers, or if using thicker slip-on wheel spacers to allow sufficient thread engagement.
I'm curious what MM would say/recommend. I just might have to give them a call.

Pat
post #7 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 07:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Well, since MM actually races their parts, I don't think they're just blowing, um, smoke.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 AM

Pat, there's a place that sells 3/4" (=19mm) bolt on spacers, with the qualification: wheel must have pockets on the mounting pad to clear vehicle wheel studs & lug nuts. They also do custom spacers, so they could make it any way you want. So you could avoid having super long wheel studs and all the future headaches that entails. No to mention avoiding the much higher torque you'd be placing on the studs.

http://crowautomotive.com/

Also, I'm pretty sure WMS could make something for you as well. They made some custom spacers for me.
http://www.wmsracing.com/

1997 Pacific Green Mustang SVT Cobra
post #9 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarSnake
Pat, there's a place that sells 3/4" (=19mm) bolt on spacers, with the qualification: wheel must have pockets on the mounting pad to clear vehicle wheel studs & lug nuts. They also do custom spacers, so they could make it any way you want. So you could avoid having super long wheel studs and all the future headaches that entails. No to mention avoiding the much higher torque you'd be placing on the studs.
Yeah, I've seen that, unfortunately I don't think it would work for my application. What I'm trying to figure out is if I could fit 17x9" Bullitt replicas over Stoptech brakes. There's at least one company that sells a 17x9" Bullitt replica with a +45mm offset. I think if I used those wheels with 20mm spacers the wheels would clear the calipers, and I would effectively end up with +25mm offset, which is about what the 17x9" R58s are, so everything would line up in the wheel well properly, too.

Anyway, as far as I know the Bullitts don't have the pockets in the back of the mounting face between the lugnut holes, which leads me to the longer studs to use "slip on" style spacers. Certainly not as aesthetically pleasing, so who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarSnake
Also, I'm pretty sure WMS could make something for you as well. They made some custom spacers for me.
http://www.wmsracing.com/
I'll take a look there, thanks.

Pat
post #10 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 11:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I think the 05 Mustang wheel offset is 40mm. I guess the stoptech brakes are bigger than the Cobras? My wheel replicas 17x9 bullitts fit over the cobra brakes okay but the bigger dish rears do not. Maybe 18" wheels would be better for the monster brakes. Big spacers are gonna be very visable through the wheel spokes.

Steeda carries the 3" at a decent price but 2 1/2" are twice as much. They say ARP makes these especially for them.

Steeda 2.5" Racing Wheel Stud (each) $5.95

Steeda Standard 3" Racing Wheel Stud (each) $3.00

Studs feature a 0.625" knurl, making them a direct fit into 1979-2002 rear axles and 1979-1993 front rotors. 1994-2002 front hubs must be slightly enlarged with a 39/64" drill bit. This can be done easily with a hand drill.
http://steeda.com/store/-catalog/wheelstuds.htm

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos

Last edited by Han Solo; 08-08-2005 at 11:17 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo
I guess the stoptech brakes are bigger than the Cobras?
Yeah, diameter is about the same, but the calipers are much fatter. They protrude away from the rotor quite a bit more. I've downloaded the Baer and Stoptech fitment templates and based on those I think my plan would work.

Quote:
My wheel replicas 17x9 bullitts fit over the cobra brakes...
Could you do me a favor and measure how much clearance there is between the back of the spokes and the front of the caliper?

Quote:
Big spacers are gonna be very visible through the wheel spokes.
Good point. The Stoptechs come with 2-piece rotors, so maybe I could paint the spacers to match the center hat of the rotor so they wouldn't be so noticeable. I'm not sure I've ever seen a car running spacers, so I don't know how obvious they would look.

Quote:
Steeda carries the 3" at a decent price but 2 1/2" are twice as much. They say ARP makes these especially for them.

Steeda 2.5" Racing Wheel Stud (each) $5.95
More good info, thanks. That price is pretty painful, but better than the $7.95 per stud. The stock studs are 1.5", so 2.5" would be just about perfect.

Pat
post #12 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
Could you do me a favor and measure how much clearance there is between the back of the spokes and the front of the caliper?
Pat
Measured at lunch. 3/4" from back of spoke to caliper. 1/2" from top of caliper to I.D. of wheel. 17x9 Wheel Replicas Bullitt w/ 13" Cobra brakes.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver

Last edited by Han Solo; 08-09-2005 at 12:38 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 11:24 AM

This page has a pic of the stoptechs behind some 17x9 Konig Villains on a fox.
WARNING, HOT CHICKS ON PAGE!
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...es/0410mm_max/

Seems MM has these custom made with a 6" backspace to clear the stoptechs.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/konig.asp

Last edited by Han Solo; 08-09-2005 at 11:34 AM.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I personally did the standard ARP studs which were $2 each at the time...

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #15 of 19 Old 08-12-2005, 06:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Pat,

The Moroso studs will work fine, make sure that you get the 46185 part so that you don't have to drill out your hubs.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Last edited by Jack Hidley; 08-12-2005 at 07:59 PM.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-12-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jack. Any chance you guys will be creating 20mm hubcentric spacers? I think the 1" ones would push the wheels out too far, and I don't imagine stacking a 1/4" and 1/2" would be wise.

Pat
post #17 of 19 Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudis
I personally did the standard ARP studs which were $2 each at the time...
Any chance you remember the part number? thanks
post #18 of 19 Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The Fox Mustangs used a 0.625" knurl in a 0.609" hole. A 39/64" drill bit makes a 0.609" hole. A 15.5mm reamer makes a 0.610" hole, and is a tighter tolerance process than drilling (IMOHO). The stock SN95 hubs take a smaller knurl, and thus must be machined to above specs.

www.summitracing.com

ARP-100-7703 $10.95
Brand: ARP Automotive Racing Products
Product Line: ARP Wheel Studs
Wheel Stud Style: Press-in
Thread Size: 1/2-20 RH in.
Knurl Diameter: 0.625
Underhead Length (in): 3.500
Knurl Length (in): 0.400
Quick Start Nose: Yes
Quantity: Sold as a set of 5.
Notes: Fits Ford rear disc brake and Chrysler front brake applications.

Wheel Studs, Press-In, 1/2-20 in. Right Hand Thread, Set of 5

Tough enough for competition.
These extra-long ARP wheel studs are designed for today's thick-centered, high-performance and racing wheels. These chromemoly steel studs are heat-treated and have a 190,000 psi tensile strength rating.

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #19 of 19 Old 12-30-2005, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
This page has a pic of the stoptechs behind some 17x9 Konig Villains on a fox.

Seems MM has these custom made with a 6" backspace to clear the Stoptechs.
Just reviving an old topic, as I'm looking at all this stuff again and trying to figure out what I want to blow money on. I actually have wheels that will clear Stoptechs already (my Cobra Rs), so for track use I'm good to go. I'm just considering some different street wheel options. I was thinking some chrome 17x9" Bullitts would look pretty tough on all black 'vert, which is what prompted all of this "research".

It'll probably be spring time before I figure out what I want to do.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement