WCGT Cobra Photos - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
WCGT Cobra Photos

Here are a couple of photos of my car out at Blackhawk Farms this past weekend. We are shaking it down getting ready for the Denver GP in a couple of weeks and trying to sort out cooling and power steering issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
awesome looking car.Have any pics Of the build-up?

#76 AI build in process.
#76 cmc retired.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Here are two links and a couple of more photos. I ran the car last year in the SCCA T1 class (for the most part showroom stock) and then made the conversion. The car just turn 700 miles this past weekend. The first 100 miles was a road trip to the race shop and the last 600 are track miles.

http://www.daggettracing.com/graphic...son/index.html
http://www.daggettracing.com/graphic...on2/index.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 04:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Nice pics. Did you have to put any reinforcements on the inside of the trunk for the "Mathis" bracket? What is your race weight?

-Bill

96 F350 PSD
Sold: 97 Cobra
post #5 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

We have not put a brace in yet and we may not since we are planning on swapping out to a live axle over the winter. We might try to make the IRS work, but the live axle swap is a pretty easy way to remove weight and is a known way of getting a rear end setup for racing.

My race weight is suppose to be 3000lbs with driver at the end of a race. Right now I'm at 3300lbs. We have done a lot of weight removable, but there is more to go. We just removed the entire roof frame and reduced the front bumper. Plus we plan on swapping to a aluminum block and putting a Whipple blower on instead of the Eaton once the SCCA approves the use of the Whipple.

Cheyne
post #6 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I was at the shop that did the work. Wauconda right? It looks really well done. There was talk of you using a different IRS subframe assy. I don't remember which one. Shame you wanna give up the IRS. But you will lose some serious weight by going to the live axle.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to engineer a 'truck arm' rear suspension for the Fox/SN95 chassis. Nascar uses them to great success and it sure would be high on the cool factor for road racing.

"Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force!"-- Barbie TS3

fquick.com/frankenstang
post #7 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 07:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I dunno...NASCAR only turns left, don't they?
post #8 of 16 Old 08-06-2005, 01:01 PM

I've seen truck arm kits for muscle cars. I always kinda thought it woud be cool in a Fox Mustang. I think packaging may be the problem. It seems to be common with leaf spring cars. A guy contacted me once with a 71 or so Mustang. He had a 9" Speedway rear end in the car. He bought a Griggs PHB from me. He was going to build torgue arm. I told him if it was my car I would just buy a truck arm kit for it.
He already had a 9".
Oh by the way the cobra looks good. Best of luck!!!! I wish Speed would show more than the front running cars on TV.

1989 LX
assorted Maximum Motorsports parts
BAER brakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OMP, Racetech, Safecraft, Amsoil, Zamp helmets,
Bell/Pyrotect, FinishLine, Crow, Autopower & Pro Challenge Race Cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-06-2005, 03:10 PM

Do i see red fingernail polish on your nails lol?

-Rio Red 94' Cobra: H/C/I.....sold
-DSG 89' H/C/I 5spd Notch..........now for sale PM me
post #10 of 16 Old 08-09-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveo'cobra
Do i see red fingernail polish on your nails lol?
That would be my lovely and talented wife's, Merlita, hands. She was working on wiring when I took the picture. Actually she did almost all the wiring in the car. This includes removing about 50lbs of wiring from the stock harness, running new wires for the fuel system, and what ever else needed to be added. She has almost as much time working on the car as I do and on race weekends acts as the Team Manager. She has about 15 years of racing under her belt.

Also if anyone is interested we will be racing this weekend in Denver in the WCGT race on Sunday. This is part of the Champ Car Grand Prix race.

Cheyne

post #11 of 16 Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 PM

Nice
Where do you find a wife like that?
post #12 of 16 Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randidly
Nice
Where do you find a wife like that?
And please advise if you ever decide to trade her in. Have fun on Sunday.

-- Kyle
'92 LX Convertible (now a Lemons race car)
'90 LX Coupe (HPDE track car)
'94 Cobra (stock)
post #13 of 16 Old 08-15-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne
Also if anyone is interested we will be racing this weekend in Denver in the WCGT race on Sunday. This is part of the Champ Car Grand Prix race.
So? How'd it go?

-- Kyle
'94 Cobra (stock)
post #14 of 16 Old 08-16-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Well it didn't go. We had planned on leaving on Wednesday morning and late Wednesday night we were still working on a power steering leak. The decision was made not to go since the car had not been tested recently and we had just made serveral changes/fixes. Instead we went up to Road America for a SCCA Double Regional to shake the car down. On the out lap for our Practice/Qual session I didn't even make it to Canada Corner. The oil pressure went from 88psi to 0 in a few seconds. We have found that we broke the oil pump gear and in turn destroyed the bottom end of the engine. Our season has come to a end and we are working on our new engines for next year. I'm going with a 5.0L aluminum block with a ported Eaton blower with a goal of 500hp at the rear wheels. This should put us in the same ballpark as the rest of the teams in WCGT. I will also be using a 4 stage dry sump next year instead of the wet sump.

Cheyne
post #15 of 16 Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 AM

Wow that sucks. You're showing tremendous resolve, I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can. Please keep us posted.

-- Kyle
'94 Cobra (stock)
post #16 of 16 Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Wow, that is brutal, Cheyne! Good luck getting everything back together as planned, I'm sure we'll hear from you in the future.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement