How to mount 5 pt harness the right way? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-16-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
How to mount 5 pt harness the right way?

I posted this in the Drag forum also as I figured there are probably a lot of people that only frequent one or the other forum.
Mounting the shoulder harness part is clear cut for me, but I had a few questions on mouting the 3 other points. From looking at the Simpson website, it shows that the tabs for the lap and crotch belt should come straight off the attachment point, so I'm guessing I should use an eye bolt for all 3 of these points? The second question I had was that it also states they should never be mounted to the sheet metal floor. I had planned on using a 4" x4" reinfocing plate underneath through the floor, but will that be strong enough or safe? And lastly, I see many people using the factory attachment points for the lap bolts, but it looks like the outside one would be greater than the 45deg angle Simpson says not to exceed. Of course I want to mount this as safely as possible, so I'd like to hear from people that have done it the right way(pics would be helpful), and not those who took 5 minutes to install it.
Here is a link to the Simpson site with diagrams.
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...ting#popUpright

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I mounted my lap belts to the factory mounts, using the factory hardware.
The crotch belt I used eye bolts, and as you stated a plate under the floor.

I can't see the Simpson diagram from your link, however when I mounted mine, there was very lettle help for mounting into a stock chassis car, most manufactures only had diagrams for tube-chassis

1995 Cobra Convertable #360 of 1003
post #3 of 3 Old 07-16-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
I see almost everyone use the factory lap mounts. On my seat, it must be further back as to use that mount on the right side, the angle of the belt would actually be going forward. I think what I'm going to do there is just use an eye bolt farther back and an reinforcing plate.
Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement