Looking for advice on sn-95 car - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Looking for advice on sn-95 car

Everyone this is a big decision but my friend and I are going to get our road racing licenses & share a sn-95 car. I realize that I can get away with a t-5 for a tranny and a fairly simple longblock. Most of the money would be put into suspension, brakes, and tires. What would be the cheapest way to go about this? What would need to be addressed in a high mileage application? The engine and tranny would not be an issue as they would be brand new. Would I want to go with a 3 link rear? Please give me some things to think about!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Do some reading up on the car to address the weak points of an SN95 and mustangs in general, such as this:
http://griggsracing.com/suspension.html

96 GT / 4R70W to 3650 swap, some metal tubing, Recaro'd, and slightly Griggs'd.
Thanks to my sponsor Performance Autosport!
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2005, 10:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I don't know if NASA has races in your area, or if you want to tow to California, but they have a class called CMC (Camaro/Mustang Challenge) that allows minimal modifications. At least compared to most SCCA classes. It seems to be growing well in north and south California as well as Texas and I believe on the east coast. Very racer friendly overall.

Whatever you do, read the rules of the organization you intend to run with before you start on the car. They differ widely on things like cages, suspsnsion, engine. If you are very careful you can have a car legal for more than one group, though not likely optimal for either.

Spend your money on driving schools and a good cage before you worry too much about engine/suspension mods.

When you get to suspension, I've been very happy with Maximum Motorsports torque arm and other pieces on my auto-cross car. Others swear by Griggs. Evolution has a bolt-in 3-link set up that seems to be well made and several people have them now. Finally, don't overlook Steeda's 5-link. It seems to be popular with some successful road racers.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2005, 12:18 PM

Not sure WHERE you are going to race an SN95 unless it is NASA CMC/AI/AIX? If I could go back and start all over, I'd be in CMC instead of AI. Cost containment issue for me. As it is, I put the MM suspension under my SN95, new motor, rebuilt T5 and all the safety stuff. It adds up quickly.

www.camaromustangchallenge.com is where'd I'd start, good luck in what ever you two decide!

Mike Bell
06 GT; 66 289 Cobra; 95 SVT Cobra
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2005, 09:03 AM

no answers; just more questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
Not sure WHERE you are going to race an SN95 unless it is NASA CMC/AI/AIX? If I could go back and start all over, I'd be in CMC instead of AI. Cost containment issue for me. As it is, I put the MM suspension under my SN95, new motor, rebuilt T5 and all the safety stuff. It adds up quickly.

www.camaromustangchallenge.com is where'd I'd start, good luck in what ever you two decide!
Isn't the SN95 still legal in SCCA-AS? A guy on the east coast could run AV8SS.

Regardless, I couldn't agree more that CMC is the best fun for your buck.

How much is a competitive AI car? $25K minimun? Almost $1000 per race (including travel and entries)? A CMC car would have close to the same per race costs would would be half as much to run competitive in the class?

Is a partner a good idea? I am not aware of a race car partnership that has worked well. Who qualifies and runs the final? Who pays when one of them hits the wall? Who pays when the engines blows?

1995 Cobra R
2014 Porsche 911
2019 Mustang GT350
15 Year Corral Member
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2005, 10:54 AM

Ah, my bad - you are correct about AS and AV8SS. I forgot about AV8SS, they aren't in my neck of the woods yet but sounds like a great series. No slam intended towards either series.

We built a CMC car for about $8000. Race costs per weekend are similar but due to the more competitive cars in the class the racing is closer and their laptimes are just a few seconds shy of the AI class here in Texas. CMC is growing bigtime while AI seems a bit stagnant for us, my AI car is well over $25K invested since my high-mile stock shortblock let go this year. YMMV.

I'd do a search for info on the "team" deal, I've heard bad and good stories. Guess like anything it is best to get a deal in writing up front with a complete understanding of who pays for what and who drives when in advance to avoid hard feelings on the backend.

Mike Bell
06 GT; 66 289 Cobra; 95 SVT Cobra
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
We built a CMC car for about $8000. CMC is growing bigtime while AI seems a bit stagnant for us, my AI car is well over $25K invested since my high-mile stock shortblock let go this year.
Sorry about the engine.

I've always wondered why CMC isn't the class of choice? AI has all those rules which I find confusing. AIX is just a class that rewards the guy who wants to spend the most money. The formula that AV8SS uses is a bit confusing, but their general rule package is fairly simple. SCCA-AS is a perfect series if you like an unfriendly budget class with a lot of arguements over the confusing and constantly changing rule package. You will know you are good if you get to the Run-Offs. I don't think anyone would be road racing without the SCCA corner workers (the best anywhere).

CMC is a budget friendly class that will allow the best driver that preps his car best to take home the trophies. I've also noticed that the Texas region has really taken the lead nationwide in this class.

I wonder if NASA will ever do a national run-off type event? I admire the organization since it allows their school system to continuely bring in new drivers and cars.

My main gripe with NASA is the rule package. Why does it have to be nine pages, plus 139 pages in the CCR, plus the technicals? Does the rollbar/cage rules really need to be eight pages long? Why a $50 fine and confiscation for improper driving attire? Why do you have to pay them to race and then put their stickers all over your car???

Good luck the rest of the season.
Doc
AIV#2 (SE)
HSR/SVRA #2 (six pages of rules )
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2005, 12:35 PM

I got my license this spring and have been racing my SN-95 in SCCA ITE class. We managed a second place finish in the Heartland Park regional race this weekend. I'd love to do AI but there is only one race this season anywhere near here, up at MAM in September. For the most part we are keeping up really well with the exception of the knuckle head that is running a Viper Competition Coupe in ITE class. Its been a great season and we are really having a blast but plan on spending 4x more than you did running open track, everything wears out that much quicker when you really start pushing the car. We've been posting some race reports on KC-mustangs.com and feel free to PM me if you want anymore advice, but remember its free advice and sometimes worth what you pay for it.

#26 ITE
2005 KCR SCCA ROTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement