what seats do u use?? steering wheels? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 07-14-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

Trader Feedback: (5)
what seats do u use?? steering wheels?

im looking in to buying some racing seats (corbeau forza 220.00)
they seem to be the best bang for the buck ,
does any one use these on the track???
what is every one els using ?? got any pics?

also im thinking about getting a momo chamionship 350 mm steering wheel they feel/look good ? any thoughts
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-14-2005, 04:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Kirkey racing seat - only way to go, skip over the 1/2 way seats, you'll only end up trading to a full race seat later.
FR-500 steering wheel - probably not worth the money, get yourself a $9.95 steering wheel cover and it'll do the same thing, give you more to get your hand around. I've looked at a couple of the removable steering wheels but so far have found to many other mods to spend money on.

#26 ITE
2005 KCR SCCA ROTY
post #3 of 34 Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM

Sparco Evo Xl seat to fit my fat ass and a Momo wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 07-14-2005, 10:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I ran a set of Corbeau Forza's with Sparco 3" 5-point camlocks in my Focus for 3 years with a Sparco Lap 5 steering wheel. The seats worked very good, just wasn't the best choice for a daily driver that logs over 500 miles a week. Worked perfect for the track and autocrosses!

My Mustang has 79 Pace Car Recaro's with a Sparco Lap 5 wheel. The seats will be replaced soon with the Forza's.

I have sat in a few different sets of Sparco seats and Momo seats, and they are much better than the forza, but the price makes me stick with them. For more street use than track, I would go with a non steel frame seat, and probaly a Sparco. The steel tubes in the Forza are unforgiving on long drives. Fibreglass and carbon fibre seats are more comfortable.

As for wheels, I love my Lap 5, but the second choice would be the Momo Monte Carlo. I have logged a few miles in a SSC with that wheel, and it is great.

If you can, sit in a few seats before making your final decision. Most seats are too big for me, and most people can't fit into a seat that I say is comfortable. Also, try and sit in the seats that are installed in other Mustangs. I found that the seat tracks can greatly alter your position in the car. I had to add a series of aluminum spacers and plates to move my Forza foward and up in my focus. I got done installing the seats, and could not reach the pedals. That sucked.

Buying seats takes time, and good research. Try them before buying them, you will be much happier in the end.

1984 White Mustang T-Top Auto-x/HPDE
#07 CP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my Mustang build and racing info

2011 White Fiesta SES Hatch
Ex-Ford Fiesta Movement Agent and Expert
post #5 of 34 Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Corbeau GTS seats. Stock steering wheel

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #6 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 02:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I have Sparco Evo2s in my car, with a stock steering wheel. I'm very happy with the Evo2s. I initially wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me a fixed seat would be really comfortable, but they are. I haven't done any hugely long drives in them, but I've gone about 2hr each way to an auto-x once and they were fine.

One of these days I'll upgrade the steering wheel. I subscribe to a Mustang mailing list on Yahoo! and a couple years back a guy posted about a steering wheel manufacturer named Isotta. Actually, he did quite a bit of shopping around with all the major brands, so I just put everything he said in here:
Quote:
I searched around for quite a while looking at aftermarket wheels.

Momo definitely makes some good stuff. At a pretty steep price though. Not wanting Porsche quality.. but wanting a good sturdy wheel of tasteful design covered in something other than fake leather (ie: fine genuine Italian full grained RUBBER), I had quite a hard time finding anything for under $200 that wasn't just a really basic wheel and rather bland for what you pay. Momo has the MonteCarlo selling at around $165. It felt pretty hard in my hands though. I checked it and others out in a few racer supply stores. That's one of their bottom of the line wheels. I'm not too impressed with it's feel, not for that much anyways. To get some of their better stuff, you gotta spend a LOT of money.. twice that even. It's like a set of fine Italian dress shoes. I'll use neither in my mustang. :P

Sparco makes great wheels.. but I ran into the same problem.

Race makes a wheel through Momo, that's supposedly Italian quality.. called the Race Dragster. I've seen it selling anywhere from $138 to $69. It is however covered in polyurethane with a couple of small leather inserts to save on cost. I really like the feel of leather wheels.

Grant makes some decent wheels, but IMO- totally is inflating their prices in an attempt to compete in the Momo/Sparco market. The problem is, they're selling vinyl covered wheels well into the $200 range. It's pretty sad. Some of their wheels look nice .. but are just way too much money for what you're getting in terms of quality and life. The models I looked at in Pep Boys and Kragens have the whole leather grained rubber thing going on. Worse- there's casting flash from the mold on the wheel. Not only is it a chunk of solid rubber or thick rubber around a metal frame, the mold isn't very precise and easily exposes the fact that it's not real.. at all. The "stitches" on them are very poor attempts to look like a leather stitched wheel. I can't believe someone would pay more than a hundred bucks for that. Yet, there it was .. $129. I'll pass.

Then there's a company called Isotta. From all the reviews I've read, they make very high quality wheels without the usual Italian price tag. However, that's not always the case depending on where you buy them. Unlike Momo... some places directly import them and get them for a -really- good price. So you can spend $280 at one store.. and $133 at another. The other may take a bit longer to get, but it's worth it to me to save $150. Every review I've read thus far show people who are extremely happy with them, have had no problems with wear and tear, and some have stated that when the car is sold later on, they're keeping the wheel. That says a lot.

Here's the model I got:

http://www.isotta.com/sez_volanti/volanti/strada.htm

Black was the color I picked.

Mania Racing seems to be Isottas preferred vendor ... and they want over $200 for it. Hub mounting adapter not included. These wheels take a standard sparco/momo hub. Pro: Easy to get. Con: Relatively expensive. The trick is to find a generic momo/sparco hub for the mustang. Haven't yet managed that... but I know they're out there.

The right deal on the wheel though.. can be had at www.nopi.com .. one of the bigger suppliers popular among the riceboy crowd. Apparently they run 10 page ads in some of the "Sport Tuning" magazines. Hey, whatever.. more power to em. They got me an awesome price on that wheel at just $133 bucks. There isn't a single wheel out there that's covered in leather for that price. Let alone one with that quality.

My second choice was:

http://www.isotta.com/sez_volanti/volanti/stratos.htm

.. but I figure that'd be best for a street car, four spokes can be cumbersome on the track. My stock wheel was 4 spoke .. I definitely like the 3 on my S4.

I went with 350 mm diameter. 320 is available but I figure it's a bit small. Stock my airbag wheel was a whopping 380 mm. Yow. Where's my air horns?
Obviously he was happy with the quality of the Isotta, and if you search around the 'net it's not too hard to find some good prices. Looks like Nopi.com still has good prices, as he posted 3 years ago.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 07-15-2005 at 02:28 AM.
post #7 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 01:11 PM

I haven't really found a Corbeau I like. They don't feel as good as other seats I tried.
I feel some of the safest and best seats are Racetech
I have a RT4009. I plan on using it as a pass seat and putting a RT4009HR in the driver seat at some point.

Racetech worked with Chrysler on sled testing. Racetech's are used in the Viper comp coupe. I wouldn't use a cheap aluminum seat as I have seen what they do in a wreck. I've heard of Spec Miata drivers who had back issues after wrecks using that style of seat as well. The high dollar aluminum seats(Joie or Bulter) are different from the off the shelf Kirkey's.

On steering wheels it seems most of the better brands are the same.
I prefer OMP wheels.

1989 LX
assorted Maximum Motorsports parts
BAER brakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OMP, Racetech, Safecraft, Amsoil, Zamp helmets,
Bell/Pyrotect, FinishLine, Crow, Autopower & Pro Challenge Race Cars

Last edited by MTNMAN; 07-16-2005 at 01:25 AM.
post #8 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 02:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have Corbeau Forza II's and I like em very much. I'll get pictures up after work.
post #9 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Drivers Seat: Panoz Widebody carbon fiber seat
Passenger seat: Cobra Imola II

Momo cheapie from Maximum Motorsport with removable wheel.

Simpson cam locks.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #10 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 06:13 PM

The only name in Racing Seats

RECARO (shameless plug) if you want to buy a seat with exceptional quality, build, design and functionality then you'll buy a RECARO. They are not cheap but they will last longer than anything else.

My Cobra seat looked like crap after 1.5 years of racing, the Recaro's we rn now look almost new after nearly 5 years of racing.

Recaro is also the only manufacture that also supplies the OEM's with DOT approved seats.

Spend the money once, get the best.

bpt

Be sure to check out the build pics of our #29 Race car HERE

We use Sparco steering wheels in our cars, they are suede, very nice. Decently durable.

Now accepting donations for Road Racing

Last edited by b_tone; 07-15-2005 at 06:16 PM.
post #11 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm using the Kirkey Road Racing seat, Momo steering wheel. No complaints on either one so far.

Mike Bell
06 GT; 66 289 Cobra; 95 SVT Cobra
post #12 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I've been using a sparco torino for the last two years now in my daily driver and I've scotch guarded it maybe 3 times during that period and it still looks and functions as good as new. It definitely has exceeded my expectations.

91 notch, 3000#, Astro T-5, Dart 10.5:1 331, RPM2, AFR 185, custom cam, Max Motorsports, StopTech
post #13 of 34 Old 07-15-2005, 11:36 PM

Some pics of seats in action would be cool!!!

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #14 of 34 Old 07-16-2005, 01:19 AM

SCCA Race Seat Video
"Is Your Race Seat Safe Enough? The SCCA offers a DVD titled “2004 SCCA Safety Symposium” that offers over 5 hrs of safety topics not only on seat safety, but harnesses, belts, head & neck restraints & crash injury data presented by some of the world’s most well known safety experts. The price is $30, but is tax deductible. Definitely worth the cost.
Use this link to go directly to the SCCA to review the DVD and order direct."

http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?Ref=221

One thing to look for is a FIA rating. The SFI is working on a rating system for seats. I think alot of peoples opions on seats will change when this system goes into effect. Some of you might change your minds on the seats your using when the SFI starts rating seats.

1989 LX
BAER brakes

post #15 of 34 Old 07-16-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius

Some pics of seats in action would be cool!!!
Pics, how about video?

1989 LX
BAER brakes

post #16 of 34 Old 07-16-2005, 10:55 AM

My Momo wheel is now on it's fourth race car. 'Nuff said.

My Corbeau Forza has worn through its lint magnet fabric in three places in less than one season of auto-cross. The lumbar adjuster leaked from day one and the seat bracket weighed more than the stock piece.

And, it's not the most comfortable race seat around. It does hold me in place well and fits wide-bodies nicely. I'll be looking eleswhere next time around.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #17 of 34 Old 07-16-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
I'm using the Kirkey Road Racing seat, Momo steering wheel. No complaints on either one so far.
Admiral have you had any off course adventures will using the Kirkey seat?

1989 LX
BAER brakes

post #18 of 34 Old 07-16-2005, 09:00 PM

Sparco Corsa / Sparco Racer 2 steering wheel

I've been running a Sparco Corsa seat on steel side mount brackets and crappy, uneven, misaligned Wedge Engineering seat bracket (it seems these guys make the brackets for Sparco) for almost three years now. The narrow width of the seat really helps keep me in place in tight corners, and isn't too troublesome in daily driving activities. The cloth material has held up well and there is still plenty of life left in it. Just don't let any overweight individuals sit in your seat, and it'll stay nice and snug on you.
I've also been using a Sparco Racer 2 steering wheel (on Momo Hub) for about the same amount of time, and really like the smaller diameter (330mm) and grippy suede material. Although these suede steering wheels are to be used with driving gloves, most of my use has been without, and the material has been holding up well, along with the seams between adjacent pieces of suede--it just isn't as grippy as it was when new--which isn't to be expected with exposure to skin oils and other foreign substances.
Before purchasing my seat, I took a trip down to Steve Millen Motorsports to sit in the different varieties they had mounted and ready to try out in their office waiting area. I noticed that the road racing seats had minimal bolstering in the thigh region towards the front of the seat, and that's why I ended up buying the two rally seats that Sparco offers--the Corsa and Pro 2000. You'll notice that the increased bolstering along the whole length of the thigh support area of the seat makes a big difference. Yet all the bolstering isn't so high that it makes streetablility difficult as with Kirkeys. I don't know if you plan on having your track car double as a street car, but if you do, keep in mind local laws which may restrict your extraction of an airbag steering wheel from a passenger car which came factory equipped with one. Just got a ticket for that a few weeks back. I think all this is enough. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

1996 Cobra
Maximum Motorsports 3-link rear, M/M Race valved Bilsteins, 475/350 coilover springs, Torsen T2R, full length subs, 17x10, 275s all around, Powerslot/Hawk HP+, Fluidyne 2 row
post #19 of 34 Old 07-16-2005, 11:08 PM

Kirkey seat and a momo whell here.
Bought the Kirkey through Summit, wasn't too much and is very comfortable and holds me in very tight.

1995 Cobra Convertable #360 of 1003
post #20 of 34 Old 07-17-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNMAN
Admiral have you had any off course adventures will using the Kirkey seat?
Oh yeah, the seat hasn't made me a perfect driver, lol. Not sure what you are asking for here, but yes I have been off track with my butt trying to pucker the Kirkey seat cover right off the aluminum shell

Mike Bell
06 GT; 66 289 Cobra; 95 SVT Cobra
post #21 of 34 Old 07-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Sparco Evo L and Momo wheel here and wouldn't trade them. Went to look at Corbeau Forza II, sat in a bunch of seats, liked the Evo L the best even at over double the price. If you're over 6' tall, it probably won't work for you- harness holes are too low. They were way too low for my 6'2 friend, who went to the same place looking for cheap Kirkey and after we checked them out and he tried on a bunch- he bought their fairly pricey (~$600 with a good discount) road race model. Much stiffer shell than the low-mid priced Kirkeys.

Another friend has Corbeaus on a car that's rarely driven except in autocrosses, and the driver's seat wore through in several places after just 2 seasons.

Like others have said, you really need to sit in several different seats before you spend your $$$.
post #22 of 34 Old 07-18-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

we need some pics ,
post #23 of 34 Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM

Good, cheap, uncomfortable, form-fitting supportive, not-longlasting material...
Did I mention CHEAP?

IMOHO, the Corbeau Forza are "ok". They do hold you in the seat quite well, just the material is cheap, and not comfortable (nor durable) for a daily driver. GREAT for the $440/pair shipped...

YOU decide on how much you wish to spend, you get what you pay for.

Darius Rudis

1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #24 of 34 Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

drudis if u could do it over what would u get??
how much are those sparco evo2 ?? thanks
post #25 of 34 Old 07-18-2005, 05:58 PM

If you want to spend some real money-
Racetech RT 9109 HR
[RT9109HR] $4,995.00

The worlds lightest FIA approved head restraint seat 8.3 lbs / 3.6 kgs FIA homologated to 8855-1999 standards Hans device compatible. Suitable for 6 or 7 point harness. Rear spigot for cold air duct with ducted air channels within the seat. Kevlar-carbon fibre shell. Removeable support cushions. Comes in black fabric with grey suede wear patches and a clear gel coating.

1989 LX
BAER brakes

post #26 of 34 Old 07-19-2005, 12:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
If you want to spend some real money-
Racetech RT 9109 HR
[RT9109HR] $4,995.00
OK, I'm sold, I'll take 2.

I got a deal on my Sparco Evo2's a few years ago, I got them in a group buy for something like $700 (or maybe $800?) for the pair. A good friend of mine, who worked in a race shop that stocked Sparco seats, said it was a great deal, that he couldn't understand how the guy selling them was making any money.

Fast92Coupe raises a good point about the shoulder harness holes on the Evo series - they are kinda low. I'm 5'10"ish and what my buddy at the race shop showed me to do is remove the lower seat cushion (it just velcros in and out). That way the shoulder harness holes are actually slightly above my shoulders rather than being a bit below my shoulders. It might sound bad, but I actually haven't had any problem with comfort with the lower seat cushion out, even driving on the street.

I don't have any good pictures of the seats installed, I'll have to fix that and post one up here.

Pat
post #27 of 34 Old 07-19-2005, 12:04 PM

I'm planning on getting a Momo Mod 78 wheel.

What would be the best size for mustang?
It has power steering with 275 front tires.
I can't decide between the 330mm (13 inch) and the 350mm (13.8 inch).

Tom

93 Cobra
post #28 of 34 Old 07-19-2005, 12:15 PM

Is anyone running a side-mount seat? If so, do you have the side mounts bolted to an adjustable frame? or bolted to the floor pan?

#07 CP

post #29 of 34 Old 07-19-2005, 01:14 PM

Most fixed back seats are side mount. Most people that use their cars as O/T car will use a side mount bracket attached to the factory sliders/brackets.

1989 LX
BAER brakes

post #30 of 34 Old 07-19-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
Is anyone running a side-mount seat? If so, do you have the side mounts bolted to an adjustable frame? or bolted to the floor pan?
I have the side mount Sparco Evo seats. Because of the shape of the floorpan you really can't bolt it right to the floor. I am tall (and fat) so I bought the flat Sparco Mustang mounts and modified them to attach the sidemounts directly to them without using sliders. Now I can fit my helmet under the headliner. I modded the mounts so much I wouldn't spend the money for them again. instead, I would have a race shop fabricate a stronger mount for me. I also use an I/O Port seat back brace. Besides the saftey aspect, I really like the solid feel the brace adds.
post #31 of 34 Old 07-19-2005, 02:18 PM

Here are some images. Not all of them are Mustangs but it might give people an idea.

1989 LX
BAER brakes

Last edited by MTNMAN; 07-19-2005 at 02:22 PM.
post #32 of 34 Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 PM

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #33 of 34 Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNMAN
Here are some images. Not all of them are Mustangs but it might give people an idea.

In the top picture, are the side mounts bolted to an adjustable frame (fore/aft)? or is that an adapter to go from the floor pan upto the side mounts. I am having trouble making out what I am seeing.

#07 CP

post #34 of 34 Old 07-20-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
In the top picture, are the side mounts bolted to an adjustable frame (fore/aft)? or is that an adapter to go from the floor pan upto the side mounts. I am having trouble making out what I am seeing.
You're looking at a floor bracket, then sliders, then the seat sidemount brackets. The Mustang floor bracket is similar except for the mounting tabs. That actually looks like a Sparco Evo seat from the pattern of the seat cusion and the material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement