Ford Mustang Forums banner

Anyone here using/used Avon "R" tires ?

690 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Glenn 
#1 ·
Just got the most recent Tire Rack catalog last night and they were showing a 40 rated Avon "R". This tire falls between the Hoosier A (30) and the Hossier R (50) in softness. In talking with Tire Rack, they said this tire was designed to be used at both -- ORC and AutoX.

This is kind of where I need to be. 1 extra set of rims ...only want 1 tire, but want to run both type of events.

Anyone ever use them ?

#2 ·
I have not used them, but a local autocrosser ran them on his STi last season and is running them on his new EVO this season. He is pleased with both grip and wear.

As far as open tracking, if you aren't competing, I can't see why anyone would run a tire that would wear that fast.

#3 ·
I'm running them on my Subaru and thus far I'm very happy with them. I've done I think 3 or 4 auto-x events and one "open track" event. (Note that the open track events out here are single day on a very short course and short sessions). They've still got a couple 32nds of tread left on them.

I agree with sjrife1, though, that if you plan on open tracking there are probably better options that may not be as grippy but will last substantially longer. The Avons start out with shallower tread depth than some of the less sticky Rs (V700s, A032Rs, RA-1s), so you get less life to begin with. Add to that the softer rubber and I just think that for (non competitive) open tracking there are better options.

#4 ·
There are a few small car drivers (Miata's etc.) using the Avon Tech R tires for local auocrosses. They really seem to like them and prrefer them ofer the V-700's. For my car I can't see paying the difference in price when I can get a V-710 for less. FWIW my wife and I just put our 175th run on the V-710's today and they aren't dead yet. They don't grip near as good as when new but are still grippier than a half worn Victoracer.

#5 ·
Glenn said:
There are a few small car drivers (Miata's etc.) using the Avon Tech R tires for local auocrosses. They really seem to like them and prrefer them ofer the V-700's. For my car I can't see paying the difference in price when I can get a V-710 for less. FWIW my wife and I just put our 175th run on the V-710's today and they aren't dead yet. They don't grip near as good as when new but are still grippier than a half worn Victoracer.
Wow! I've heard numbers into the 60's with the 710's but if my mind wasn't made up before it is now. Thanks for the info Glenn. I am hoping they will let me finish off my victoracers at RA this week. They have about half life left in them and I don't think they will survive 2 1/2 hours of track time but maybe I can save a little on my street tires by running them till they get to thin.

#6 ·
Han Solo said:
Wow! I've heard numbers into the 60's with the 710's but if my mind wasn't made up before it is now. Thanks for the info Glenn. I am hoping they will let me finish off my victoracers at RA this week. They have about half life left in them and I don't think they will survive 2 1/2 hours of track time but maybe I can save a little on my street tires by running them till they get to thin.
Well, they are a bit slippery cold and you have to get some heat into them to make them grippy. We drove in a solo trials at Gainesville last weekend and they worked fine. We got one warmup lap before we ran our 2-3 timed laps so cold tires weren't an issue. My wife and I put about 40, 1+ mile hot laps on them last weekend. This weekend we put another 14, 40 second runs each at an AX practice session in Fort Pierce, then about 5 more runs at an AX in Tavares on Sunday. At the Fort Pierce event we were able to get them warm after about 2 runs. In Tavares they were noticeably more loose than they were just a week ago. The tread grooves were pretty much non-existant after the trials at GIR but you could still see the tread depth holes. We can now see where the tread depth holes are but there isn't enough left to measure. We now have 180 timed runs on the tires and I think it is past time for replacement. I think that the longevity is as good as the Victoracers and I didn't see a huge loss in traction cold until somewhere around 90-100 runs. Warm traction was still very good up until somewhere around 140 runs. Run time varies from about 35 to 45 seconds with runs of 60 seconds at the trials. We were so impressed with the V-710 that we already bought another set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.