Ford Mustang Forums banner

Watts Link and Rear Exit Exhaust

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Norm Peterson 
#1 ·
I heard JohnnyX over at CC.com has made rear exit exhaust work with a watts link. CC.com is not working for me right now. Anyone have any info on this? Also, with a Watts Link, are there wheel hop issues to be concerned about?

-Code

#3 ·
A Watts link as used for lateral axle location won't cause wheel hop. But it might change the hop frequency a little if you already have hop with a TA/PHB or 3-link/PHB arrangement and swap out the PHB for the WL. BTW, I wouldn't even consider running a WL with the OE converging UCA's still in place.

Norm

#4 ·
Yeah, I was mainly refering to the 3 link Maximum Motorsports suspension but changing out the PHB for a Watts. Someone told me that it will cause wheel hop though. I didn't understand how that would occur. I'll probably just get the TA/PHB from MM.

-Code

#5 ·
The phb design causes a tiny bit of lateral location change of the axle vs. the body as it swings through its arc with bump or droop. (Why you want the PHB to be level at the normal ride height). The point of the watt's link is it doesn't do that.

Perhaps someone extended this into the unsettling of the rear end (with a phb) under power as it lifts or dives... doesn't quite follow in my mind though.

#10 ·
Code001 said:
Umm, ok? :confused:

-Code
A torque arm is a cantilever beam fixed at the axle end and point-loaded more or less vertically at the chassis end. There is no relative angle change between a TA and the axle's pinion shaft as the suspension moves. Think side view.

A 3-link is more like the OE arrangement in that the single upper link is pin-connected at both the axle and chassis ends and does permit relative angular motion between its axis and that of the pinion shaft under suspension movement. Think side view again.

What the 3-link and TA arrangements have in common is that they both require a separate means of laterally locating the axle. We're thinking rear view now. This is entirely separate from the differing ways that these two arrangements provide [side view] pinion angle control.

HTH, lots of people seem to have trouble with this.

Norm

#12 ·
Not many as an OE fitment. IIRC, some live axle Jaguars (think '50's) and some early 60's Chevys did. Probably a few more, but nothing recent. Other than competition cars, anyway.

Norm

#15 ·
Either can be made to work quite well, though for a given svsa length the 3-link is probably slightly more resistant to brake hop (its anti-lift % tends to drop as the rear suspension moves into rebound, while the anti-lift % for a TA tends to increase under the same conditions).

I think that this topic was explored in some detail some years ago on corner-carvers. Before mid-2001 anyway, hence I wasn't party to that discussion. Maybe others (perhaps even one of the principals) can shed a little more light here.

Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.