Fox body with 2015 IRS - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fox body with 2015 IRS

I read this story about a group of racers at Mid Ohio that built up a Fox body with serious intent. What really caught my eye was the use of a 2015 Mustang IRS rear axle. Does anyone have detail on what was required to make this happen? The older 1999-2004 IRS axles are becoming rare and expensive. I would guess that a fair amount of fabrication is required to fit the later rears.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2019/...urance-racing/

Jay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2019, 02:04 AM

I would be really interested in knowing how they used the 2015 IRS. Would be really nice if somebody produced a IRS for foxes, not sure why they don't.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2019, 10:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
It has to be a misprint. There is no way the car weighs 2,900lbs with an S550 IRS and Dart iron block. I really doubt the car has an S550 IRS in it. In the photos it clearly has a solid axle in it.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
It has to be a misprint. There is no way the car weighs 2,900lbs with an S550 IRS and Dart iron block. I really doubt the car has an S550 IRS in it. In the photos it clearly has a solid axle in it.
It does mention that it is fully gutted with Lexan windows, Harwood fiberglass trunk, doors, and hood. Although a Dart block is heavier than a stock 302 block, by the time you use the aluminum heads, and non-EFI intake you've dropped a lot of that weight.

I think the pictures are of the car in it's former state which has a 3 link rear SRA. I know that these kinds of articles are often filled with errors which was why I was asking. I do think the weight is possible, and I sure don't know where someone would come up with the late model IRS comment if that was not the case. Still makes me curious.

I was also hoping that someone on this board might run at this venue, and possibly have access to the gentlemen mentioned in the article. I might just have to make the trek myself (from Chicagoland).

Jay
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I have a 16 GT and an 01 Cobra prior. The design of the later IRS is completely different from the earlier design. The shocks mount way outboard near the axle end, while the springs are inboard. The cradle and mounts are completely different as are the lower and upper arms. It's also a pretty wide track. I suppose it can be done but there would be a bunch of fabrication to mount, custom wheels and body mods to fit them on a Fox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement