Fox street setup - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By stangin'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-30-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fox street setup

I have a 92 coupe with springs, struts, subframes. I recently picked up an ISF, and very impressed with how stable the car feels in all around driving. I donít autocross or anything like that and have limited experience driving newer vehicles. So my question is can I upgrade the fox to feel that good? Is it a matter of going to coilovers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-01-2019, 10:35 AM

What's an ISF?

post #3 of 10 Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (36)
Lexus?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jarrod

'92 Coupe - Full MM suspension, koni SA, stock bottom end,stock cam,TW170,Systemax,V-2SQ,42s,Treadstone A2A 552h/541t out of fuel @ 5200 Kurgan tuned.
'80 Mercury Capri - 377, AFR 225s, ProRace Fogger 5.70 @ 127. SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Simple answer is no unless you want to completely re-engineer the entire suspension.

1986-045 Saleen Mustang Griggs GR40, 408W RDI aluminum block, AFR 205, T56
1999 Porsche 911 Carerra - Stock
1999 BMW M Coupe - Stock
post #5 of 10 Old 04-02-2019, 03:05 AM

Newer performance cars have a wider track, and accept wider tires, both critical in going around corners quickly. It takes a lot of money and/or effort to duplicate these traits in older cars.

Jay
post #6 of 10 Old 04-02-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
What's an ISF?
I’m still waiting to hear what an ISF is...

Stock block 306, V1 T-trim, AFM B-451 cam, TFS Twisted Wedge, Holley Systemax, A1000, Snow Meth, TKO 600, Team Z, Strange, MM, Lakewood and Moser helps me go forward fast.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
It's a Lexus model car.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #9 of 10 Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
For those that only bleed blue, the OP is referring to a Lexus ISF with a 5.0L Japanese V8 that debuted in 2008. It's a great performance compact sedan for its time. Behind the wheels, it feels light years ahead of a stock Foxbody for sure. My wife likes it for the size and I love it for the motor and trans.

I also happen to have a '90 Fox convertible with a complete MM suspension, minus their adjustable rear sway bar. I feel confident driving both vehicles hard into the corner. The ISF provides more of a refined feeling and it tends to give you more false confidence to keep on pushing it harder. The Fox is more raw, from the steering to the suspension, you're getting feedback from the car in every angle.

Both are a blast to drive, but they provide 2 totally difference driving experience. My suggestion is to look into doing a complete MM suspension setup. Do that with some upgraded brakes and you'll wonder why you never did it sooner.

Many moons ago, Jack Hidley provided some solid advice on MM spring rates. I've been happy ever since!
Green-Jimmy and pkstang like this.

1990 LX Convertible Triple Black
Coyote Whippled
Full MM Suspension
post #10 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin' View Post
For those that only bleed blue, the OP is referring to a Lexus ISF with a 5.0L Japanese V8 that debuted in 2008. It's a great performance compact sedan for its time. Behind the wheels, it feels light years ahead of a stock Foxbody for sure. My wife likes it for the size and I love it for the motor and trans.

I also happen to have a '90 Fox convertible with a complete MM suspension, minus their adjustable rear sway bar. I feel confident driving both vehicles hard into the corner. The ISF provides more of a refined feeling and it tends to give you more false confidence to keep on pushing it harder. The Fox is more raw, from the steering to the suspension, you're getting feedback from the car in every angle.

Both are a blast to drive, but they provide 2 totally difference driving experience. My suggestion is to look into doing a complete MM suspension setup. Do that with some upgraded brakes and you'll wonder why you never did it sooner.

Many moons ago, Jack Hidley provided some solid advice on MM spring rates. I've been happy ever since!
Stangin, this is exactly the feedback I was hoping to hear. For those asking, sorry, I didn't respond back until now. Yes, the ISF is a Lexus IS model sedan but setup for the track right from the factory. 416hp V8, 8 speed auto, 14" brakes, IRS, 9" / 9.5" wheels. Its a great package in my opinion. Could be a little larger in the back seat for passengers, but not any less room than the stang. What year ISF do you have?

I had the stang out this past weekend, and on back roads coming out of turn, it gets a little squirrely in the rear. The 363 makes 435 rwtq at 4300 with 3.73 gears which makes for interesting driving if you keep your foot into it. Has me wondering if this can be cured with IRS or PHB/TA combo(?)

The ISF on the other hand has me spoiled since its my daily driver. Of course it makes no where near that power to tire, but pulls up top and feels great into 140+. In fact it really does such a great job, I have to look down to realized how fast I'm actually going. In the stang, you really have to be a better driver.

Stangin, it shows you have a coyote in your signature, so your car is def making some power. Do you have any issues with putting the power to ground with your setup? From 0-60 or spirited back road driving? From the 0-60 there's no way my stang could keep with the F ( without slicks or something ). The F sticks, and goes, and you don't have to think about it too much-- just focus on driving. Mustang takes a lot more skill to get it moving and then not blow the tires off. The dual friction mcleod clutch is also very grabby, which doesn't help when driving around town. I'm guessing the coyote doesn't make as much torque so maybe that's a bit easier(?)

You def nailed it about the stang just feeling a lot more raw, unrefined feel. And with the power to weight, it accelerates quickly ( when you have traction ).

1992 5.0 LX - FordStrokers 363 Dart Block, AFR185, 60lb Injectors, 80mm PRO-M MAF, FordStrokers Custom Cam, Edelbrock RPM2, GForce T5, 3.73, BBK 1 3/4, 3" VRS Catted X-Pipe, A9L, Tweecer RT, BE, EA, LM-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement