• 1 Post By wlmrt66
  • 1 Post By wlmrt66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-17-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (56)
Garage
Is it a mistake to........

My big question that I need fellow members help with. I have a 95 gts car that we have stripped and been doing a little solo scca events with. Car is mostly stock minus some cobra brakes, wheels and bigger tires. I have a complete MM kit Front and rear in the boxes that I could install or change plans and use it on one of my other mustangs in particular an 88 coupe I've been slowly gathering parts for. (Stock very clean 4cly that I recently bought back and want to do a turbo coupe engine trans swap)

This leads to my question. Am I better off to sell this 95 and source a 05-10 mustang. Been reading about the spec iron NASA on these cars hope that I can find some local scca classes as well. Wonder if this might be a better long term goal. Want to run against other drivers at some time. Want to be starting at the best chassis with my expected budget. I wouldn't be losing the parts I have by repurposing them to the 88.

Seems I've read that the 05-19 chassis is better to start with and that a well sorted out 95 will be pressed to keep up with the newer chassis.

Or should I keep the 95 and pour in all of the parts I can to make this car a contender. If it's worth adding I know my why around the 95 and under cars. The newer engines and such would be a learning experience.

Help, what would most of you do?

Last edited by Cantbuyitright; 03-17-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I race with NASA in a class called CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge). We are 79-04 mustangs and similar era Camaros. Being that you want to eventually W2W race go to a local event and see what classes are popular in your region. Build a car for a class that is popular where you know you'll have competitors. Hell, if you see a couple guys ask them about it. Amatuer racers are usually more than happy to help someone get started if they are coming into their class. Your 95 would be a great platform in that class and can be built for 1/2 what a spec iron car would cost. (I race a 96, #720)

I'm fascinated with the Spec Iron class but there are zero cars in that class where I race. What I feel is worse, while newer cars are no longer coming into our class, they aren't building for spec iron either since newer cars aren't allowed there either. CMC has been around alot longer and 25 years worth of cars are legal vs 6 years of cars for spec iron.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43952029_10217357800117715_3187715492911513600_o.jpg (120.1 KB, 18 views)
Cantbuyitright likes this.

If racing is like sex.....why would you want it to only last 10 seconds. (road races last 25 to 45 minutes!)
post #3 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
I race with NASA in a class called CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge). We are 79-04 mustangs and similar era Camaros. Being that you want to eventually W2W race go to a local event and see what classes are popular in your region. Build a car for a class that is popular where you know you'll have competitors. Hell, if you see a couple guys ask them about it. Amatuer racers are usually more than happy to help someone get started if they are coming into their class. Your 95 would be a great platform in that class and can be built for 1/2 what a spec iron car would cost. (I race a 96, #720)

I'm fascinated with the Spec Iron class but there are zero cars in that class where I race. What I feel is worse, while newer cars are no longer coming into our class, they aren't building for spec iron either since newer cars aren't allowed there either. CMC has been around alot longer and 25 years worth of cars are legal vs 6 years of cars for spec iron.
Thank you so much for helping. And that has a lot of rational thought put into the reply. Thank you. I love that little 95 and I don't even really know why but I do. I think because I'm not scared to tear into it. My local area requires me to travel no matter what but on the spec car I think Dallas would be the closest unless they run something near me at Hallet. I've never joined the NASA but a member of the scca. And once called a rep for NASA about the spec iron but they didn't call me back so I've been lost.

On concern that I forgot to mention. When I received the car the radiator support was badly damaged so I installed a team z tubular unit. It has raised some concerns as one fella at the track said it could be considered an altered chassis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 01:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Step one in any racing series is to read and learn the entire rule book. That will tell you what you can and can not do to the car. That will have a huge affect on the amount of money you will spend making the car competitive. These can almost always all be downloaded for free. If they can't be, you don't want to race in that class as the sanctioning body has an ego problem.

I doubt that anyone is going to care much about a replaced radiator core support. If the unit that was installed is lighter than stock, they may make you add some weight to the car to compensate. Until you become competitive, no one is going to protest you, so it won't matter.
Saleen414 and Cantbuyitright like this.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #5 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 11:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Is it a mistake to...…. start a thread with a title that doesn't give other forum members any idea what the thread is about? Yes, that is a mistake.
MFE and Cantbuyitright like this.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #6 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Lol. I thought it would be like setting a mouse trap with curiosity that overwhelmed the senses to give into primal urges to explore the unknown.

Last edited by Cantbuyitright; 03-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
It worked on me!

Stock block 306, V1 T-trim, AFM B-451 cam, TFS Twisted Wedge, Holley Systemax, A1000, Snow Meth, TKO 600, Team Z, Strange, MM, Lakewood and Moser helps me go forward fast.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 02:22 PM

i can give a cautionary tale from another form of racing. My buddy was in the series, circle track stuff. They had 12 cars I thought the field was healthy. Then a few guys moved up and we dropped to 10. I sold the car then they were at 9 and at that point the series fell apart. In my next racing life, I will scout out the series thats the strongest then decide if I would enjoy racing in it.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 PM

I've never raced there but the Texas CMC field is the largest in the country and I know Hallet is one of the tracks they race at (I've seen results with as many as 30 cars). Contact the CMC director there and I'm positive they will welcome and educate you for what you need to know. If you're building the car yourself you can build a top class car for about $10K. Hell, I've won many races and only have about $10K in it.

Also search here : Texas American Iron & Camaro Mustang Challenge

Basic build for a 95 mustang in the class.
5.0 with an E-cam and shorty headers.
stock K member, A arms, rear end (you can change LCA, shocks/springs)
13in 4 piston front brakes but lots of guys use the cobra "PBR"s, stock 11in rear brakes.
no fancy down force, etc

Typical safety gear required (cage, seat, hans, fire system)

If racing is like sex.....why would you want it to only last 10 seconds. (road races last 25 to 45 minutes!)
post #10 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
I've never raced there but the Texas CMC field is the largest in the country and I know Hallet is one of the tracks they race at (I've seen results with as many as 30 cars). Contact the CMC director there and I'm positive they will welcome and educate you for what you need to know. If you're building the car yourself you can build a top class car for about $10K. Hell, I've won many races and only have about $10K in it.

Also search here : Texas American Iron & Camaro Mustang Challenge

Basic build for a 95 mustang in the class.
5.0 with an E-cam and shorty headers.
stock K member, A arms, rear end (you can change LCA, shocks/springs)
13in 4 piston front brakes but lots of guys use the cobra "PBR"s, stock 11in rear brakes.
no fancy down force, etc

Typical safety gear required (cage, seat, hans, fire system)
Hot damn this is what I was hoping for, thank you very, very, much. That right there is the meat and potatos I was needing.

Speaking of cages. Does anyone sell a weld in kit or do in need to just build my own. Sad part of that request is I have complete fab capabilities but no tube bender. Just was hoping to be somewhat lazy and buy a ready to weld in kit.

post #11 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 10:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
You can purchase a bolt in cage from someone like AutoPower. If you want a weld in road race cage, you will need to have it built. Unless you are experienced in cage design, I would not build one, even if you have great fabrication skills and a tubing bender. The ability to weld well has nothing to do with knowing how to design a structure and all of the safety issues involved. If you want to, llok at the thread linked below. There is a lot of good information on cage design in it. I would use this to discuss ideas with whoever builds you cage.

Cage Design - Corner-Carvers Forums

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #12 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
You can purchase a bolt in cage from someone like AutoPower. If you want a weld in road race cage, you will need to have it built. Unless you are experienced in cage design, I would not build one, even if you have great fabrication skills and a tubing bender. The ability to weld well has nothing to do with knowing how to design a structure and all of the safety issues involved. If you want to, llok at the thread linked below. There is a lot of good information on cage design in it. I would use this to discuss ideas with whoever builds you cage.

Cage Design - Corner-Carvers Forums
Would it come off strange if I said you are a great source and truely helpful asset to our hobby. I thank you. You are always posting helpful information time and time again. And you have helped me on more than one occasion. I hope others understand how much you have given back.
zd302gt likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 PM

For W2W don't buy a bolt-in....it won't be legal. And Jack is correct, research and know what you're building.

A buddy recently got into this by buying a used racecar and spent the winter having his cage modified to what "he thought" was a better design. I saw it and thought, it's beautiful work but who the hell designed that! He wasted $2K building a cage that wasn't legal and just had it corrected last week!

FWIW: Another buddy brought a shell to a reputable cage builder and did an entire stout cage for about $2,600.

....and again, those texas CMC racers probably have 30 cars built. They likely know a builder in your area that already knows what's legal.

post #14 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Wow, that is a good read and I've only made the first page great info thanks. I need to see if anyone near me has the ability to build and install one for me. Or has the capacity to help.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 AM

CMC rule book:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...Rules_v1.1.pdf

post #16 of 18 Old 03-25-2019, 12:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Research is worth it.

Cage suggestion... Attend a few NASA events and inspect a bunch of cars. Don't limit yourself only to CMC cars when looking. Check out some of the more expensive cars and classes. When you see something that is really impressive, find out who built that cage and talk with them about the results of people who crashed their cars. That's what I did this past year. Found impressive build quality in Dodge Vipers built locally. Good experience with the build team and I'm super happy with my new cage in my Fox body car for 2019.

RR '92 Calypso Green LX Coupe: Griggs GR40, 331
post #17 of 18 Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmrt66 View Post
Cage suggestion... Attend a few NASA events and inspect a bunch of cars. Don't limit yourself only to CMC cars when looking. Check out some of the more expensive cars and classes. When you see something that is really impressive, find out who built that cage and talk with them about the results of people who crashed their cars. That's what I did this past year. Found impressive build quality in Dodge Vipers built locally. Good experience with the build team and I'm super happy with my new cage in my Fox body car for 2019.
Any chance you documented or have pictures you are willing to share?
post #18 of 18 Old 03-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantbuyitright View Post
Any chance you documented or have pictures you are willing to share?
I'll try to take some tonight. I worked with McMahan Auto Sport and Complete Performance Motorsports out of the Akron/Canton Ohio area.

RR '92 Calypso Green LX Coupe: Griggs GR40, 331
Sponsored Links
Advertisement