Bilstien shock install - not enough thread engagement - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mustang5L5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
So in the midst of trying to install a pair of Bilstien HD shocks in the rear of my '88. The are 94-04 shocks but I don't think that matters here.

Problem is the stackup of washers and bushings at the top mount doesn't leave me my thead to engage.

See pics

Here's my stack up of parts. The inner washer sits firmly on the circlip. Then the dust boot and finally the washers and bushings

With the dust boot removed you can see I have about 1/4" of thread exposed. However the metal spacer in the dust boot is slightly thicker. So when I put the boot on, I have no thread

I've tried several methods to try and squeeze up the bushing to catch a thread.

I found this thread

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums....l.html%3famp=1

Looks to be same issue but no matter how I push I can't get anything to seat further. My parts stack looks just like his. I'm at a loss.

I'm sure others here have done rear bilstiens. Any input, last thing I need to do to get car back on ground

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 08:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I'm not sure either... but what if you pushed the dust cover down the shaft beyond the stop and ditched the lower bushing washer so it uses the large one instead. Sort of like your last picture.

1989 Mustang GT
post #3 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 08:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Have you tried bolting up the bottom of the shock and then jacking up the rear end to see if the weight of the car will compress the bushings?

2003 mach1 with MM R&T box with TA, 2000 R brakes and lots of other bits and pieces here and there.
2012 MT Brembo GT
HPDE Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blurr View Post
Have you tried bolting up the bottom of the shock and then jacking up the rear end to see if the weight of the car will compress the bushings?

I've tried. Unfortunately as the axle reaches the limit of movement it begins to pick the car up without compressing the shock.

I have no good angle to jack the shock directly.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #5 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 AM

On further thought, it's got to be the boot. Push it down the shaft beyond where the thick washer stops.

1989 Mustang GT
post #6 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomV View Post
I'm not sure either... but what if you pushed the dust cover down the shaft beyond the stop and ditched the lower bushing washer so it uses the large one instead. Sort of like your last picture.
So if i remove the bottom most washer....

Everything works. There is a spacer inside the dust boot about 1/4" thick that has a counterbore on the inside. It fits over the circlip and everything goes together well.

But, why would bilstien package the shocks with that washer in that location if they weren't needed? Their directions.....are terrible. Basically it's a universal type directions with 50 different installs and no indication which mine is. It does not in one section to make sure the circlip is installed into the spring washer, which is what i think that bottommost washer is...therefore it's needed. I'd hate to remove it find the spacer insider the dust boot wasn't designed for the load of the circlip, and fails....especially if i go to coil-overs down the road

I'm puzzled. I could have had the rear of the car back on the ground and ready to go to the front and install my MM coil-overs.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #7 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 AM

I agree, the Bilstien instructions are terrible. I wouldn't worry about the MM C/O kit, since you discard the lower rubber isolator, lower thrust washers, and dust boot from each shock. Check out their install instructions and you'll see.

1989 Mustang GT
post #8 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomV View Post
I agree, the Bilstien instructions are terrible. I wouldn't worry about the MM C/O kit, since you discard the lower rubber isolator, lower thrust washers, and dust boot from each shock. Check out their install instructions and you'll see.
That's true. I just read their instructions and you rebuild the whole top end anyway...

EDIT:

Actually i thank you for sending me to their site to read the instructions.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/A...p/MMCO-3r4.pdf

Page 2. They show the big washer UNDER the circlip and against the bumpstop. On my shocks, it's OVER the circlip so that i can slide it off.

Now that i look at the way it's setup, i think my setup is incorrect and it should mirror what's in the MM instructions.

In other words...this washer should be between the clip and the bumpstop...i think

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #9 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 08:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Correct. The large washer is there for the bumpstop load to be applied to it. The clip above it keeps the large washer from moving upwards.

This clip also allows the upper pair of bushings to be preloaded by the top nut.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Removed the clip and put the larger washer under it. Now everything fits together properly. Already installed both in the car and got the rear back on the ground.

What's funny is both shocks came from the factory this way. I assumed it was right.

Anyway...thanks everyone

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1724_1545356000192.jpg (53.9 KB, 21 views)
TomV and thadude like this.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement