Anyone Road Race a Convertible - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By qtrracer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Anyone Road Race a Convertible

I did a quick search and didn't find much. I realize there is a weigh and stiffness sacrifice. I think the stiffness can be resolved. I am curious what people have done and if it was successful.

I am considering a convertible with an IRS rear and MM front and am wondering if I could make it decent for auto xing. I would prefer not to do a full cage as I'd like to be able to take my kids out in it on occasion. The kids would enjoy the convertible.

Thoughts?

No mustangs right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 03:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I have an 86 'Vert set up for CAM-T and O/T driving events - not road racing. If you open track SCCA/NASA/etc. HPDE events, you are required to have at least a 4-point bar (check the rules for specs). Autocross rules don't require a bar but the 4-point does make a huge stiffening difference - more so than the typical MM SFCs, STB, etc. The bar can be removable so long as the four anchor points and fasteners meet specs. Mine is a custom and removable - takes about 10 minutes to remove; a little longer to install due to fastener alignment (the top down makes this a piece of cake). Although my bar is padded per specs, rear passengers with the bar in is not recommended. I've hit mine with a helmet on and despite the padding, it hurt. A non-helmeted child's head would suffer. I also found taking the thing in an out became a hassle; so I leave it in now.

With the above said, I like the vert. It's fun and verts are rather unique for these venues (excluding Miatas). But it is not a serious contender so I left all of the creature comforts in - air, stereo/w subs, power steering/brakes, sound deadening and nice Recaro seats.

MVK13 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-15-2018, 04:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Go for it. I have AutoX's for years with top down and love it. When I was Road Racing AI we had a guy in CMC with Foxbody Vert, a course full rollcage, but I always love his car and he did well. He was from Texas and moved to S.Ca.
Bar not required for AX. I have a friend with SN95 Cobra Vert and he does well with top down, said it balances the rear weight and helps the handling. If you don't have passengers, put a rollbar in and do both, AX and Open Trk, but with your kids do what GTRacer said.

1993 Fox C4, carb-347 Pro-brkt car M10's
700+ elim rnds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2018, 01:09 AM

I have seen it done. Guy had a cage. If you run with the top down you might want to get some hand straps to keep your hands inboard if you roll or whathaveyou.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Todd Covini use to run one in American Iron.

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag Motorspors
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
Todd Covini use to run one in American Iron.
Todd is who I was thinking about above. Loved his set-up. He did CMC and I did AI. Raced with him when he moved West, super nice guy. Became our West CMC/AI Director (NASA).
OP...only problem is being within the heat (sun)...you can do tho, Todd did Texas and Cal heat and lived...LOL

1993 Fox C4, carb-347 Pro-brkt car M10's
700+ elim rnds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement