Best differential for racing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shifty Powers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-19-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Best differential for racing

To start, sorry if this isnt the best area to post this. The drivetrain section seems a bit dead.

But I am getting ready to redo the entire rear in the car and I am having issues on figuring out which differential to get. The car is a 96 cobra and will be slowly set up to be taken off of the street and set up for the track and such.

I was set to get the Torsen Tr2, but have been reading they wear and the bias becomes less efficient or doesnt work. Some of this happening just after a few track events or a season or 2 of autox. This shouldnt be happening and it doesnt seem Torsen or anyone else really does anything.

So then next up would be a locker. I am still looking at brands/types but it looks like this may be the longest lasting and strongest options.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance.

ALSO would 3.73s be a bad gear for road courses?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Post 124-127

https://forums.corral.net/forums/mem...0-heads-4.html

All my research said Truetrac

Sorry can't help when it comes to gears. But what I can tell you is its all about weight of car gear you want to be in what speed you will be at most of the time what RPM is your power band and what rpm you want to be at. Have to match all that up.

93 cobra Dart 363 11r205 heads T-56 Magnum 2.66 cobra intake 3in shorties 3in out the back
Latest build
https://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/2484040-93-cobra-363ci-5speed-build.html
post #3 of 10 Old 08-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Tracks, car weight and your power will play a big role in your gearing. What works for one car at this track won't work for that car at a different track. Are the stock diff's with a quality rebuild and some good axles not good enough for a weekend warrior type racer? I guess if you get real serious with the racing then it is time to go aftermarket.

1979 Hatch - Silver, 4 Banger/4 spd - SOLD
1992 LX Hatch - Wild Strawberry, 5 spd, basics - SOLD
1992 LX Coupe of Irish descent - SOLD (Was a fun ride though)
1993 LX Coupe - Reef Blue, 5 spd, bolt ons, more to follow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-19-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Oh I understand one set of gears will not be the best for every type of track. But I will not be swapping gears every other weekend.

Diff wise, I need to rebuild the rear so I will be completely redoing it.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
i have a truetrac in both of my cars that ive raced. both with about 420rwp. one car weighs 3730 with me in it and the other weighs about 2900. great for street driving too!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
If you want to go slow and have poor handling, install a locker. There are only two reasons to use one. 1) The rules require it. 2) You are driving an off road vehicle where one or both drive tires are frequently off of the ground.

Any other type of properly functioning limited slip differential is going to be faster and better handling.

Any differential that has an LSD function wears in some way over time that affects its torque biasing function. The wear always works in the direction to reduce the maximum TBR. From that standpoint it is always better to start out with a differential which has a higher TBR than what you need.

We've been selling Torsens for over a decade. We've never had one returned for being worn out. We've never worn one out. There are a lot of parts that we don't sell, because they don't meet our durability or function requirements. When Torsen developed the T2 differential for the 2012 Mustang Boss 302, they had to make metallurgy changes to pass Ford's 100k mile durability requirement standards. For about the last five years, Torsen has been trickling those metallurgy changes into their aftermarket T2 and T2Rs for 8.8". So if anything, their durability has been getting better over time.

I'm convinced that in the majority of these cases where someone think they have worn out the differential, they have really made a suspension or tire change which is the cause of the inside tire spin. Anything that increases lateral weight transfer across the rear axle is going to run the risk of exceeding the TBR of the differential, which will cause inside wheel spin. Newer tires virtually always have more grip than the models that they replaced. People always make changes to the car to make them corner faster. Both of these virtually always result in more lateral weight transfer.

You might want to read the post below.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/15701281-post21.html

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers and some ones based on information. I really appreciate it.

Now on that note. Would it be worth it to go with Fords T2R from the Fr500 or MMs?
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for everyone's response. I went with the TruTrac 31 spline as I will be updating the rest of the rear as well.

We shall see how it goes!
Str8ballar likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference this it the diff i decided on as unlike other worm gear setups there is a point were the torq biasing leaves you with 0 traction on one wheel under several conditions. Purchased mine through Moser if i remember correctly.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
Should’ve slapped a spool in there.

Stock block 306, V1 T-trim, AFM B-451 cam, TFS Twisted Wedge, Holley Systemax, A1000, Snow Meth, TKO 600, Team Z, Strange, MM, Lakewood and Moser helps me go forward fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement