Treat the throttle like a dimmer switch, not an on/off switch. Every change you make to the throttle moves load and traction from one end of the car to the other. Very useful once you get the feel of it, brutally slow before you do.
Look further ahead. At speed, you can't do anything about anything that's closer than about 50 feet away, but your brain will sure #### up the run trying. Look further ahead, your brain will relax and it will stop being so reactive to things it's too late to fix.
In the slaloms, pick a throttle setting and modulate it gently. Every time you hop off and on the gas, you're moving load, and traction, from one end of the car to the other, and it doesn't like it.
Don't let your hands migrate to 11 and 1, all you're doing then is using your muscles to swing your arms around together instead of finessing the wheel.
The slides are happening because you're jumping on the gas too suddenly in the turn, and then when the slide gets going, you don't feel it coming soon enough, so instead of easing off the gas a little bit, and earlier, you snap off the gas late, weight shifts to the front, lightening the rear, and the slide gets worse, until it stops suddenly and you're all crossed up on the wheel and behind the action of the car. Modulate the gas. Anticipate the slide, and also when the rear will regain traction. Plan for that, and plan to get the wheel back in a hurry. CPR. Correct, Pause (while the suspension prepares to unload its energy back the other way), Recover (quickly).
Focus on being smooth and placing the car close to the handful of critical cones on the course, and speed will come in spades. The guy in the strawberry notch? Smoooth. Probably pretty fast.
And again, because it always works and it bears repeating...look further ahead of the car. You should be looking to the next course element before you're out of the one you're in.
- '92 5-sp LX coupe, TKO, 3.55s, pulleys, Al DS, 1-5/8 shorties, Magnaflow spun metallic cats, 2.5 Dynomax VT's, Pro5.0 w/ Steeda Comfort Pro
- GT40Y's, E cam, Cobra intake, tmoss ported lower, FRPP 65mm TB, BBK 75mm MAF, 155 lph pump, FRPP oil cooler, Al rad, 130amp alt, Energy mounts
- Autopower 4-point bar, 5-pt harnesses, MM weld-in subs and STB
- MM K-member/A-arms/Coilovers, 425# springs, MM cc plates, Koni Yellow DA's
- MM adj rear LCA's/torque arm/panhard bar, 500# rear springs, Eibach swaybar, Koni Yellow SA's
- SN95 Cobra brakes, FR500 17x9 wheels, Raybestos ST47 pads
- 3400 lbs with me and 1/2 tank of gas
- Regional autocross champ 99-02, 10,100 miles on 17 tracks