Installing 2nd gen MM Bilstein rear shocks and coil over kit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Installing 2nd gen MM Bilstein rear shocks and coil over kit

So I bought the newest versions of Maximum Motorsports own spec Bilsteins with new coil over kit and they have a real bojangle way of installing the snap ring to hold the threaded sleeve. They provide a pink laminated sheet for which you must slip the snap ring over and pull "pretty hard" into place. Well I'm a pretty big guy and I can't muscle it into place for the life of me. Does anybody have any secrets to getting the snap ring into place?

91 notch, 3000#, Astro T-5, Dart 10.5:1 331, RPM2, AFR 185, custom cam, Max Motorsports, StopTech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-15-2017, 11:05 PM

*double tap

post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 PM

Are you not able to even get the snap ring started over the end of the shock body?

I did this over three years ago, but I seem to remember having a buddy help stabilize the shock into the bench top. I made the cone shape with the plastic sleeve (make sure there is no overlap of the sleeve creating extra thickness) and pulled the ring into place. If I remember right, I worked the ring in sections getting it to first slide on slightly where it is split. I then worked the rest of the ring on. I also believe I wore gloves to prevent the ring from cutting into my finger tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
You need to make a cone with the plastic shim stock that has shallow an angle as possible. You want it to form a nearly straight tube. Then drag the Spirolox up the cone. To get it onto the shock body, you will need to pull the first 1/3 of the ring on first, then the next 1/3 and so on.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #5 of 5 Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It was difficult but managed to get them on.

91 notch, 3000#, Astro T-5, Dart 10.5:1 331, RPM2, AFR 185, custom cam, Max Motorsports, StopTech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement