Maximum Motorsports MMRB-7 Roll Bar and Racing Seats - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Maximum Motorsports MMRB-7 Roll Bar and Racing Seats

I purchased the MM roll bar MMRB-7 yesterday for my 2003 GT. This is the model that has the swing out door bars. Today it just occurred to me that those door bars are pretty high up. Does anyone have experience with this roll bar with door bar configuration and does it clear your racing seats? I have the OMP TRS-E seats.

Roll Bar:
Drag Race: 6-point, swing-out door bars, fixed harness mount

OMP TRS-E Seat:
TRS-E - Racing Seats | OMP Racing

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM

I have the same Roll Bar with Corbeau FX1's and the shoulder wings prevent the door bars from fitting unless you notch the seat. We all know that notching the seat reduces the integrity significantly so you're buggered.

Will be going to a Kirkey Drag Seats or similar to permanently fix this over the winter. My car is strictly for AutoX so it should work fine.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Well, that stinks. My TRS-E (23") are pretty close to the same width at the wing as the FX1 PRO (22.5"). The FX1 "Standard" is 24". The FX1 "Wide" is 24.5".

Are you running one of the wider versions? If so, how much interference are you seeing? Would the 0.5" (dividing the 1.0" overall difference from the STD version) be the difference between fitting or hitting?

Corbeau seat sizes: https://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_v...dProduct=25296
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

For what it is worth, I called Maximum Motorsports to see what they recommend on max seat width. The guy I spoke to said that they had no info on that and that they don't get any complaints (he said that he has only had two fitment issues in five years). He continued to say that these are really designed for use with OEM seats. Well, then why would you advertise that these are "Drag" roll bars and are NHRA compliant? It really implies that they are for racing. Perhaps drag racing doesn't use seats that have the shoulder bolsters.

Anyway, I have been searching and searching the web. I cant find any definitive numbers but piecing together what some SN95's are running with this 6 Point swing out roll bar 21" seems to be a go. It would appear that some have 22" working but I think that is the max.

According to MM, the point where the swing out bar attaches to the hoop is 24" (center) measured from the floor. The door bar extends from there out approximately 8" before making the turn to the forward floor.

Just for reference, making some crude measurements, the stock 2003 GT seats are approximately 18" at that 24".

As my OMP TRS-E's are 23", I guess I will be changing my order with them to the Autopower 83261.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 03:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Different generation of Mustang, different rollbar, blah blah blah...

I had Sparco EVO2s in my Fox with the "same" MM rollbar (6-point with swing out door bars). During install we decided to weld the door bars in, but they stayed at the same height. You can see the seat was right on the bars:

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #6 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 05:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The wings on racing seats are designed to keep the body in place during cornering events. Drag racers should not ever experience any cornering events. Drag racing seats are much narrower than road racing seats and don't have wings. Therefore they virtually never have problems with the MM rollbars. Another option is to order the MMRB-6.2 and have a fabricator make custom door bars for your car and seat combination.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #7 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I revised my order last week with MM and did just that. I have a local certified welder that can add in the side bars (and cage) later if I want. It'll cost $$. I also looked at the AutoPower option at MM. While I liked the modular approach, I did not care for their mounting configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement