Upgraded quad shocks suggestions/worth it? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MFE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Garage
Upgraded quad shocks suggestions/worth it?

Right now, I don't have quad shocks on the car. (88 mustang gt) Now I'm pretty sure it's not performing as well as it could because of that, but I'm wondering, there are options out there ranging from $20 a shock to $150 a shock. How much is too much? Anyone have experience with the Koni Reds, Bilstein, or KYB Gas-a-just? The $20 ones from Summit are just stock quality, I believe. Also, will I have issues with 9" wide rims in the back. I guess I can put my tired old ones on to check that. I just took them off before I put on the wheels reading they can be an issue, didn't even check it.

I can't see that how $150 shocks in the back is really going to make a change unless I'm drag launching the car, but I do autocross, so I am pushing the rear end a bit. It can definitely get loose sometimes. I'm still finding that limit (a little too often).

Thanks for any feedback. I'd really like to hear from people that have used them/used different ones.

1988 Mustang GT White with Red interior/accents. Autocross/Summer Daily car. Koni, Steeda, BBK, ProCar, AM, Prothane... Mostly stock though
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Fresh, healthy quads DO make a difference, but IMO there's no reason to spend more than $55-ish bucks on a pair of Gabriel 14039 "steering dampers" which are actually dead-nuts replicas of the factory quads and work like a charm. https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-14039.../dp/B001AM5P48

If you're going to be spending coin back there, spend it on better control arms/bushings, but be advised not to throw the quads away until you're sure you don't have wheelhop.

cbydesign likes this.

- '92 5-sp LX coupe, TKO, 3.55s, pulleys, Al DS, 1-5/8 shorties, Magnaflow spun metallic cats, 2.5 Dynomax VT's, Pro5.0 w/ Steeda Comfort Pro
- GT40Y's, E cam, Cobra intake, tmoss ported lower, FRPP 65mm TB, BBK 75mm MAF, 155 lph pump, FRPP oil cooler, Al rad, 130amp alt, Energy mounts
- Autopower 4-point bar, 5-pt harnesses, MM weld-in subs and STB
- MM K-member/A-arms/Coilovers, 425# springs, MM cc plates, Koni Yellow DA's
- MM adj rear LCA's/torque arm/panhard bar, 500# rear springs, Eibach swaybar, Koni Yellow SA's
- SN95 Cobra brakes, FR500 17x9 wheels, Raybestos ST47 pads
- 3400 lbs with me and 1/2 tank of gas
- Regional autocross champ 99-02, 10,100 miles on 17 tracks
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Fresh, healthy quads DO make a difference, but IMO there's no reason to spend more than $55-ish bucks on a pair of Gabriel 14039 "steering dampers" which are actually dead-nuts replicas of the factory quads and work like a charm. https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-14039.../dp/B001AM5P48

If you're going to be spending coin back there, spend it on better control arms/bushings, but be advised not to throw the quads away until you're sure you don't have wheelhop.
Well, I do have better control arms, but I still have hop. So obviously it's going to make a difference, I kinda get that. I'm wondering how much difference it will make to go up in price. $200 for bilsteins, or worse, $300 for Koni just seems intense for something that, like you said, can be done for $55. So what is the market for those?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1988 Mustang GT White with Red interior/accents. Autocross/Summer Daily car. Koni, Steeda, BBK, ProCar, AM, Prothane... Mostly stock though
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" regarding shocks and struts, but I have a hard time believing there's even a discernable difference between the big-buck quads and the Gabriels for this particular application.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 09:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have the Gabriel 14039's. I think rockauto.com has them cheaper and i paid about $15 each for them.

I also have Max motorsports control arms, new ford HD upper arms, new bushings in the rear axle and new main shocks and my sway bar and STILL had wheel hop despite the number of people who said i shouldn't when i ditched all my stock factory arms. $30 in quads later...wheel hop gone.

I don't see how a $150 paid of quads would make it any better.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Me neither! Ha. That's why I'm curious about how they can even be out there when $30 achieves basically the same thing. Maybe in a super high horsepower application? Really don't have a superbly amazing knowledge of suspension geometry anyway, so I can't even begin to make a well informed guess.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement