Clutch quadrant - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Clutch quadrant

My 85 is equipped with a triple hook aluminum clutch quadrant. Does anyone know what brand it is? The setup has an aluminum firewall adjuster and an adjustsable cable at the clutch fork. The cable snapped on me about 2-3" from the quadrant end. I also don't like the heighth of the clutch pedal, it's about 2" higher than the brake pedal, my knee bumps the steering wheel if I tilt it down. Maximum Motorsports has a clutch pedal heighth adjuster that I am very interested in, but I am unsure if it will work with the quadrant installed now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 01:24 PM

The MM clutch pedal height adjuster will work with any clutch quadrant. They have nothing to do with each other.

If you use a multihook quadrant and don't put the clutch cable in the hook closest to the firewall, it is guaranteed to eventually break the cable about 2" from the end. This has to do with the discontinuity that is machined into the cable groove in a multihook quadrant.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
The MM clutch pedal height adjuster will work with any clutch quadrant. They have nothing to do with each other.

If you use a multihook quadrant and don't put the clutch cable in the hook closest to the firewall, it is guaranteed to eventually break the cable about 2" from the end. This has to do with the discontinuity that is machined into the cable groove in a multihook quadrant.
You mean like this! ...

Will your MM cable work with my existing quadrant/firewall adjuster if I use it in the last hook? Or do I need to change to the MM quadrant/firewall adjuster. The reason I ask is I can barely see up in there with my head jammed under the gas pedal let alone get my hands up there. Are there any tricks to its install? That cable has only 8,000ish miles on it and it took about 4-5 lbs of force to pull the cable with my hi-tech fish scale. I figure the cable should take little or no effort to pull by hand(no drag), correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1310.jpg (57.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1311.jpg (97.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.jpg (44.5 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 05:46 PM

Yes, exactly like that.

Aftermarket clutch quadrants tend to fall into two categories. One for stock, nonadjustable clutch cables and ones for aftermarket adjustable cables. The difference between them is the angle of the hook. The MM quadrant shown below has an angle of 97 degrees and is designed for a nonadjustable cable. The blue quadrant shown below has an angle of 135 degrees and is designed for an adjustable cable.

If your multihook quadrant has its most forward hook at about the same angle as the MM quadrant, it should work fine with a nonadjustable cable. Below is an example of a three hook quadrant. The angle of the front hook is 80 degrees. This quadrant will work with a nonadjustable cable, if also used in conjunction with an MMCL-017 ($15.97, must be ordered by calling).

If your clutch cable required 4-5 lbs of force to pull with it out of the car, unloaded, it is a piece of junk.

For any clutch quadrant installation, unbolt the driver's seat, remove from the car and double nut the front mounting studs to unscrew them from the floorpan. Then lay down a thick blanket before laying down upside down in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMCL-6.jpg (26.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ClutchQ-1.jpg (29.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ClutchQ-2c.jpg (26.2 KB, 21 views)

Jack Hidley
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou sir.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered the cable/quadrant kit from MM. I noticed on my existing slip on heat shield there is a spot that is starting to burn through(down near the bell housing). I ordered the heat shield that came with it and also a roll of heat shield. Should I use one or the other or both? What area should I pay special attention to?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 PM

You should only need to use the MM heatshield on the clutch cable housing. That will stop conducted heat from the fibers and air gap. The silver color will stop radiated heat.

Jack Hidley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement