Power steering pump ideas - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Power steering pump ideas

First info of car, 92' notch, with 2016 coyote swap, still in progress, will be a mainly street driven, with occasional trip to track days. Was thinking of installing a hydro boost setup, but the power steering pump is what is giving me a fit. No matter what kit I go with will cost me around $600+ for brackets and pump not including lines. Im now toying with the idea of using a electric-hydraulic power steering pump and running manual brakes. By the way the brakes are bears 13" 4pistons up front with 12" 2pistons in back. Have found people have used these electric pumps from hot rods to road racing events for far less than the other alternatives. Plus it frees up a little extra power. And you can install it anywhere to free up room in the engine bay.

So what do you folks think, am I missing something or would you/have you tried this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 10:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
You bring up an issue in the coyote swapping game: lack of reasonably priced brackets. Is there any lesser known kits out there? Has anyone made their own?

How tunable are the electric power steering kits out there? Any links?

post #3 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

What I have seen for electr. Power kits, take your steering rack and cut it up. Cost $1500. What I have seen is people take a elect. pump from a Prius, mr2, and a couple others. Basically taking a mechanical pump and replacing it with an electr. one. But from what I had found they don't have any adjustability because it uses a module to do that. I did find a company that makes a kit but they want $1200. Fully adjustable. But I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-17-2017, 04:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I have manual brakes and steering on my coyote swapped fox coupe, mainly because I chose keeping the AC in the stock location (fat boy gonna have AC). I'm looking at the Volvo c40 pump, mainly for the hydro boost. I have 96 cobra brakes all the way around and I do not like the brakes at all.

One guy on coyote swapped foxbodys on facebook ran a C40 Volvo pump for both steering and hydro, and said he loves it, and has had no problems. He bought it off ebay, mounted it up under the front bumper, and had custom lines made. He was vague on the wiring side, but I just seems to me it would be a 12v source and maybe a relay. It seems to me if it just run a pump to the power rack, you would not need any kind of voltage regulator to limit the power assist, Right?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Know that is the kind of setup I was thinking of. What I have read on some sights, to power it need is around 60- 90amp. Which seems a lot.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Not when you convert those amps to HP when you only have 12 volts pushing them (roughly 1.0 to 1.5 HP at 746 watts per HP).

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #7 of 13 Old 07-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Garage
I'm having an issue with the steering feel at just about any speed. It just feels overboosted.
Now that I am coil-overs AND the MM K and arms, it took all the bind out of the front end!!

Does anyone have a suggestion for decreasing the boost level withOUT going to a manual rack?? My wife likes to drive it too!!

'88 LX hatch. Mild 331. Full MM suspension minus the Torque Arm, Cobra Brakes. Not as slow as it used to be.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-22-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

What pump are you using? I'm talking about using a pump that is not driven off the motor, it's electronically driven.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
You'll need to change to an SN95 steering rack to get revised valving to give any significant decrease in assist.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #10 of 13 Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Jack, being that I am using 100% of you guys stuff in my swap, I take your advice very seriously. Would or could you recommend a certaint pump to use, that I could use that could also run a hydroboost if I choose to keep it? I have been trying to locate a 03-04 cobra rack, from reading an article I read, saying those ones are better than others. But I have been having a hard time, can't imagine why, haha.

Back to the subject. Is this idea a good one or should I save up and buy the kit from krc?

post #11 of 13 Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
PM me your e-mail address and name.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #12 of 13 Old 07-27-2017, 02:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
post #13 of 13 Old 10-03-2017, 03:25 PM

A buddy of mine told me that the first get MR2 used an electric power steering pump. He was using it on his Coyote swapped '03 Cobra race car. I haven't done any research on it, but it may be an option.

'88 Fox Coupe
Coyote Swapped
Custom Maximum Motorsports Maximum Grip Box on 18x10's
pro_tour_fox_coupe on Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement